Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: «*In-between*» Hair Maintenance

Length
    24/24/35
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Default «*In-between*» Hair Maintenance

What are your favorite hair rituals, daily or otherwise, between washes?

I am looking to extend my wash cycle to every 6 - 9 days (depending on its temperament). What are some of your favorite things to do to keep it looking stable and beautiful?

Length
    Chin/APL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: «*In-between*» Hair Maintenance

Gradual oiling: I put a drop or two of oil on my midlengths and ends every morning and evening. I use The Innate Life rose elixir, but you can use any oil you like.
    If I'm home, I wear my hair down the day after wash day so I can enjoy it. Otherwise I braid it and tie it off with a satin scrunchie, or put it up with a claw clip.
    I only go 3 days between washes, though, so it doesn't take a ton of care in between
    long hair is self care
    Chin ♡ Collarbone ♡ APL ♡ BSL ♡ Mermaid ♡ Waist ♡ Hip ♡ TBL ♡

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I go one week in between washes, and do 0 (zilch) for it in between, but just put it up (Nautilus bun) & forget about it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I go about a week between washes also and I like to use leave-in conditioner on damp hair if it's feeling dry or unmanageable.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

I oil my scalp and ends with two drops every day. I water rinse once a week and shampoo every 4-6 weeks.
    I bun/braid 99% of the time.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    20/35/45
    Type
    1b/F/i

I am really new to this, having just started no-poo washing, using oils, brushing etc. I did my first clay wash this morning and it feels great. I started at the beginning of this month but couldn't do my first no-poo wash until all my supplies had arrived from Ebay. My hair is pretty thin and naturally grey, hip length. I am alternating between a clove and rosemary infusion, and jojoba oil with a few drops of rosemary essential oil, to massage my scalp, and finger-detangling. I then use an antique soft bristle brush, 100 strokes, which spreads the oils (natural and added) to the ends. This feels absolutely fabulous! I normally wear it in a single braid but sometimes put it up.

Even when I was using conventional shampoo and conditioner washing, I never washed my hair more than once a week. The last shampoo wash I did was 3 weeks ago, and then my first clay wash today. I shall do the next one at the beginning of January, and after that it will be at the beginning of every month. My hair has not felt dirty, and apart from a couple of days when I first started, and my scalp felt incredibly itchy, I haven't had any problems at all. It feels very soft and moisturised, and much easier to manage than previously.

Last week I did the Inversion Method and it grew a whole inch! Having seen this on YouTube, I thought it seemed too good to be true, but it really works. Amazing.

Length
    Pixie/BCL/Class
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I wash about once a week, and shea butter is my main in-between-wash ingredient!

I'll bun it up at night, and brush each morning. I like to scritch and massage whenever I let a bun or other daily hairstyle down, especially to relieve any tension from the hair. Flipping my hair upside down and massaging sort of like the inversion method feels super nice, and I like to think I'm getting partial benefits even if I don't follow the proper schedule.

For daily styles, especially for my physical job, I put my hair in twin braids for the first few days and apply shea butter to the ends. I gradually oil through the week and disperse using a brush, so if it starts to get a little heavy towards the last few days, I'll put my hair up in a bun or wear a hat along with my two braids. I don't see shea butter mentioned too often, but my hair loves it!

Length
    20/35/45
    Type
    1b/F/i

That sounds so lovely. I must say the Inverstion Method massage feels absolutely great! My hair grew an inch during that one week I did it.

I bought some shea butter ages ago (I can't remember why - it wasn't anything to do with my hair but it might have been when I was going to evening classes in soap making?). Anyway, I dug it out and it smelt awful so I threw it away! The label said it was good for 12 months once opened, and it was several years ago! I'd like to know a bit more about shea butter for the hair, and how it can be used. I'm doing a lot of research at the moment and finding it all very interesting.

These are great new chances, if your washday treatment somehow failed. Thanks!

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shoshiplatypus View Post
    That sounds so lovely. I must say the Inverstion Method massage feels absolutely great! My hair grew an inch during that one week I did it.
    I hate to rain on your newbie parade but you know this is just not possible?