Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Practical hairstyles for the dentist?

Length
    50"/60"/floor
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Default Practical hairstyles for the dentist?

I have a dental appointment tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out how to wear my hair so it's out of the way of both myself and the dentist, and not getting damaged.

Today I had an exam and I wore it in two braided buns held up by chopsticks. That worked pretty well, except I realized when I need to move side to side for him to work, they'll end up in the way. My hair is long enough that I can't just do braids cause they'll end up getting stepped on and tangled in stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences they could share? Thanks!

Length
    18"/BSL/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Practical hairstyles for the dentist?

what about milkmaid braids or a crown braid? that way its up, but not at the center of your head and leaves a flat spot for you to lean back against the headrest?
    Sail Away where no ball and chain can keep us from the roaring waves Captain Adiranna Brightwing of the Flame-Sailed Ship in the Order of the long Haired Knights

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I do a false crown usually, or at laziest I braid it and coil the braid in my lap, turning it into a braided bun for the rest of the day.

With braces and more frequent cleanings I go through this lots!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    23"/27"/43"
    Type
    3c/C/ii/iii

What about just doing a really high bun?

23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Type
    2b/M/iii

I know you didn't think braids would work with your hair, but what if you threaded in a length of ribbon down a single loose braid. You could double the braid, or thread it through itself at some point, then bring it in front of you, and then use safety pins to catch the ribbon and pin it on your clothing in front of you to keep it from falling all over.

Length
    22"/36"/37"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

You could do a single braid, fold it back up and tie with ribbon and then just coil it up behind your head like a pillow at the dentist. A crown braid could also work well if you can do one, or a bun high enough that it's not uncomfortable to lay down with it in ( although that could end up looking silly)
    LHC: The few.. the proud.... the vaguely creepy

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I keep it simple. I do a single English braid started as low on the nape as possible. I bring it forward over my left shoulder when the dentist or technician is working on me. I've done a high bun but that wasn't as comfortable as the low English braid.

I am not here to decorate your world

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

one of the threads here somewhere has a diagram of how to do a really neat amish braided updo that would probably work really well.
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    50"/60"/floor
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Thanks for all the ideas! Maybe the dentists and hygienists I've known are just more clutzy than the ones everyone here experiences? lol. If I have my hair down in braids it gets caught on the clippies on the neck bibs, and they splatter stuff all over it.

Lazy crown/Heidi braids might be an option. I just want something where my head won't have to roll oddly up or down if I move it side to side lol. If I can locate enough bobby pins I guess I could try a braided bun. I've never really found myself wishing for a ginormous snood til this moment lol.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

The Chinese braided bun works very well for me held with hairpins instead of hairsticks. I arrange it in the first place with hairsticks, put in eight pins around it, then remove the hairsticks.
    A bun that can easily be adjusted to move over a bit on the top of the head works well for me also.