Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Detangling Support Thread

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Detangling Support Thread

I got a thought
    I have very little tangles, mostly after washing but really nothing that a good leave-in and my wooden comb cannot handle.
    I remember when I was still using silicone shampoos detangling was absolutely a breeze.
    Now, I know that silicone shampoos have a bad reputation but they can actually be useful in some cases
    Hmm... summer is approaching... could be nice with some UVA protection.... its been ages since I had Elseve Color Vive in my stash...
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Maybe this woman is an example? https://youtu.be/1_LrYxsDwhE?si=0IWA6-OwUc0mYF6l

She combed out her locs in about half a year. So it may be doesn't have to happen so quickly. It's of course totally up to what anyone wants. But I just realized that I cannot use conditioner to comb out a tangle if I'm giving it some more time because conditioner dries and makes situation even worse. But oils will not dry or harden except of course butters a little bit, especially in cold.
    Last edited by Priska; May 25th, 2024 at 11:54 AM.

This is now scary. I keep getting this kind of matted tangles out of nowhere.

I so totally brushed my hair through this morning. I kept it down because I had washed it and I had to air dry it. Totally normal to me and usually my hair doesn't get tangled the day I wash it. I start brushing my hair and this innocent little kind of knot gets formed and then I start pulling hairs out of it like normal (maybe using too much force because I get panicked) and it gets tight and becomes a big, tight, impossible tangle like under one minute. Then I have no other option but cut (or rib) it away or it spreads to larger area. Is story of my long hair over? Can citric acid residue cause this? I made it too strong. But anyway I washed my hair this morning.. I also used oil and it helped a little but I had no time for better detangling now.

Maybe I must have a break from all acidic rinses for a while and clarify and deep condition my hair..
    Last edited by Priska; May 30th, 2024 at 10:02 AM.

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./71"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Don't even try to "brush" that out. Or cut it. Just stop and pull it apart gently in random directions with your fingers until it loosens up. Then take a wide tooth comb to the remaining "tangle" (now expanded to 6" diameter from < 1" diameter) from the bottom up. You may have to repeat the loosening/combing bit as necessary. You can do this without breaking any hairs if you've patient. Long hair requires patience and very little else.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Ok thank you foreveryours! Sounds good... I was just so frustrated because I had had just great work with giant tangle on the other side of head and there was not supposed to be anything on the other side.
    Maybe the dry weather causes problems too now.. or the menopause is coming or what ever this might be...
    Last edited by Priska; May 30th, 2024 at 07:32 PM.

Length
    BSL/HL/SDL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I second what foreveryours said about loosening the tangle. I have worked through severely matted felted tangles that incorporated almost all of my hair. I would add that sometimes after loosening up the tangle I prefer to use a brush instead of a wide-tooth comb, because it loosens and separates the tangle further whereas sometimes a comb tightens it. I start from the edges of the tangle and work with the brush, the comb and my fingers using whichever feels the most effective at that stage.
    I'm fine
    Lady Sarana, Ranger of the Eastern Hills
    in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/HL/SDL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Oh and if this issue is new it likely has something to do with your products. Weather also contributes.
    I'm fine
    Lady Sarana, Ranger of the Eastern Hills
    in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Yes and very big mistake was that I started solving this tangle when I was hungry, busy, stressed and frustrated. And anxious and traumatized of the previous tangle. Never ever should I try to comb out tangles in that state.

And thank you for your thoughts and experiences, sarana!
    Last edited by Priska; June 2nd, 2024 at 09:18 PM.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    This is now scary. I keep getting this kind of matted tangles out of nowhere.

I so totally brushed my hair through this morning. I kept it down because I had washed it and I had to air dry it. Totally normal to me and usually my hair doesn't get tangled the day I wash it. I start brushing my hair and this innocent little kind of knot gets formed and then I start pulling hairs out of it like normal (maybe using too much force because I get panicked) and it gets tight and becomes a big, tight, impossible tangle like under one minute. Then I have no other option but cut (or rib) it away or it spreads to larger area. Is story of my long hair over? Can citric acid residue cause this? I made it too strong. But anyway I washed my hair this morning.. I also used oil and it helped a little but I had no time for better detangling now.

Maybe I must have a break from all acidic rinses for a while and clarify and deep condition my hair..

I also agree with Foreveryours, a comb on that type of tangle will only make it worse. The MOMENT you feel a knot like this forming, just stop. Put the brush down immediately and carefully isolate the strands that are starting to mat so you don't catch more of your hair in it.

I don't know what it is about tangles like that, but instantly, as soon as I get one, despite knowing how to untangle them, and having done so many times in the past, I always, always panic. The urge to just rip it out and be done with it is very strong, but deep breaths and becoming extra slow and patient works wonders.

I do wonder if the acidic rinses are stripping your cuticle off which may be contributing to the increased tangling.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

How often do you do acidic rinses., Priska?
    Overdoing with acidic pH is not good for hair. It definitely could cause those tangles.
    You remember this experiment with an egg in a glass of vinegar overnight? the shell will dissolve.
    Clarify and use something heavy on emollients.
    No aloe, no fruit extracts.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights