Thread: historical hair care

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: historical hair care

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

Really interesting, now I am hooked on her videos, such a wonderful presence on youtube.

Ok, so I went ahead and ordered some silk ribbons, way cheaper than the scrunchies. Looking forward to try them out soon!
    If you havent used ribbons before, my tip is to braid them into the ends, before tying them. That way they won't slide off.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

^ I see how that would work. Thanks for the tip!

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

OMG you guys!

I just got my new BBB and a comb I will use for scritching and cleaning. I tried it out today, I was amazed how well they work and how nicely the BBB glides through my hair.
    I ended up grooming my hair for a half an hour Yes, I had other things to do but it was just such a pleasure to work with these tools for the first time. The shine is unbelievable!

So this is my fifth day since I washed my hair, and usually by now I really have to wash it, especially if I washed it with shampoo. Last time I washed it with rye flour and yesterday I put a little bit of cornstarch in it.

Now there is hardly any reason to wash it, I am so pleased. Perhaps my bangs, but otherwise it feels really clean.
    My goal to stretch my washes seems very realistic at this point

Here are some pics to show the shine I got, it is especially nice since it's my own hair! No product, conditioner nor oils added.

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

OMG you guys!

I just got my new BBB and a comb I will use for scritching and cleaning. I tried it out today, I was amazed how well they work and how nicely the BBB glides through my hair.
    I ended up grooming my hair for a half an hour Yes, I had other things to do but it was just such a pleasure to work with these tools for the first time. The shine is unbelievable!

So this is my fifth day since I washed my hair, and usually by now I really have to wash it, especially if I washed it with shampoo. Last time I washed it with rye flour and yesterday I put a little bit of cornstarch in it.

Now there is hardly any reason to wash it, I am so pleased. Perhaps my bangs, but otherwise it feels really clean.

Here are some pics to show the shine I got, it is especially nice since it's my own hair! No product, conditioner nor oils added.

There's a reason they're still around and pretty popular. I, myself, have like, three of them around. I don't use mine very often though, because I have a brush that works better for me. I'm glad you're enjoying them. Are they pure boar bristle, or the vegan type? Just curious. Also, I adore your hair colour.
    ~~ Classic ~~ Fingertip ~~ Knee ~~ ? ~~

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleQuill View Post
    There's a reason they're still around and pretty popular. I, myself, have like, three of them around. I don't use mine very often though, because I have a brush that works better for me. I'm glad you're enjoying them. Are they pure boar bristle, or the vegan type? Just curious. Also, I adore your hair colour.
    Thanks! Yes, pure boar bristle. I bought one with a wood handle, wanted purely natural to have one that is as anti-static as possible.

Brushing my hair hair instead of washing it has proven to be a but cumbersome, or lets say that I am really taking my time! 20 min today.

My aim is to not put any more time doing the brushing than max 10 min per day. Otherwise there is no point to it, as washing it more often would time-wise be less effort. I am still really enjoying the softness of my hair Just need to up my technique a bit and just go through my hair a bit faster.

Edit: oh here is a link to a thread with pics of the tools I am using:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=156596

I do also use a wide toothed detangler comb at first, it's just some cheap one out of plastic. I am planning to get one made out of horn or wood in the future.
    Last edited by Fethenwen; March 5th, 2024 at 04:05 AM.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

OMG you guys!

Stunning! So how exactly do you use the comb for scritching and cleaning? How long do you spend doing that?
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Stunning! So how exactly do you use the comb for scritching and cleaning? How long do you spend doing that?
    I use the technique shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7fGbyTOCTI&t=401s

At first I spent 30 min doing all that, today it took 20 min. My plan is to not do it every day, and to spend less time doing it, but at the very least I am brushing through with my BBB everyday before bed. I am trying to extend my washes to once a week.

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thanks! Yes, pure boar bristle. I bought one with a wood handle, wanted purely natural to have one that is as anti-static as possible.

Brushing my hair hair instead of washing it has proven to be a but cumbersome, or lets say that I am really taking my time! 20 min today.

My aim is to not put any more time doing the brushing than max 10 min per day. Otherwise there is no point to it, as washing it more often would time-wise be less effort. I am still really enjoying the softness of my hair Just need to up my technique a bit and just go through my hair a bit faster.

Edit: oh here is a link to a thread with pics of the tools I am using:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=156596

I do also use a wide toothed detangler comb at first, it's just some cheap one out of plastic. I am planning to get one made out of horn or wood in the future.
    Wow, what a beautiful looking brush! From the pics, it looks like a really well-made one, too. I hope it lasts you a long time and will continue to serve you well! As for the comb, a tip, if you don't already know: make sure it has a lacquer or oil coating on it, so that it can glide through your hair. I bought a wooden comb a year or so back that was just straight wood, and my word, is it awful to use. It's so rough, and it tugs on my individual hair like you wouldn't believe. So uncomfortable! I've been eying off the combs on Etsy made by a store owner in Lithuania. They look fantastic and they have great reviews, but they're kind of expensive, so I'm waiting until a gift-giving day when I can buy one and not feel stupidly guilty. Lol.
    ~~ Classic ~~ Fingertip ~~ Knee ~~ ? ~~

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

^ Thanks! Yeah, I guess there is no use using a cheap wooden comb as there is a risk of them being too rough. Hope you will get your hands on a better one
    The quality of the wood also matters, the one I have is made from really fine fruit tree wood if I remember correctly. I now also waxed it lightly, thanks for the tip!

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

hello, i'm not sure whether this is a good thread for it (thought it would be better than the random question one), but do some of you know why are most historical combs in museums, all the way from ancient times to the 1900s, very fine and shallow like nit combs? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._A.27-1977.jpg

do you think it's for this natural oils distribution that was mentioned earlier in this thread, so they wouldn't need to wash their hair so often? i read a few articles on them and some mention that it was really for lice, but it seems pretty unlikely that an early 20th century upper class lady would need a fancy ivory lice comb in her purse at all times (and there also wasn't any source for that)... it would be pretty hard to detangle with it, wouldn't it? also maybe for flyaways? what do you think?