Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Over 60s, the not-so-geriatric thread

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Smile Re: Over 60s, the not-so-geriatric thread

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh View Post
    Thanks luluj.

You'll be so happy that you took photos of your progress. The long haired photo that you saw of me is the first length photo that I took since I started growing so I missed documenting all the stages. Add to that the fact that I avoid the camera and there isn't much to look back at to measure and appreciate progress photographically. I'm glad that I took that one last summer so that I can do a comparison of this year's growth.
    You are welcome, bokeh.

I am looking forward to seeing your comparison shot, the inspiration will help to keep me focused.

Length
    14/18/22
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Over 60s, the not-so-geriatric thread

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh View Post
    Thanks luluj.

You'll be so happy that you took photos of your progress. The long haired photo that you saw of me is the first length photo that I took since I started growing so I missed documenting all the stages. Add to that the fact that I avoid the camera and there isn't much to look back at to measure and appreciate progress photographically. I'm glad that I took that one last summer so that I can do a comparison of this year's growth.

It makes me smile to think of you jogging with your ponytail bouncing cheerfully in the sunlight! I hope that you are having a beautiful day where you are.

I like the Etsy shops for hair toys. I recommend Baerreis and 60th Street for wooden forks and Quattro for metal forks. Other favorites are Furnivals Workshop, Lady Idun, OverTheHawaiianMoon, Windsongs Attic, ChurchStreetAndLove, Ficcare for their Maximas clips and Lila Rose for their Flexi 8's. Eaduard and KeTyLo both have excellent products but be prepared to wait, worry and nag if you order from either of them. It's worthwhile to get quality accessories and if well chosen you only 'NEED' one or two. I've gone way beyond 'need' myself.
    Oh and visit the Wear Everything Once thread to see photos of hair toys in action. There are also individual threads for most of the sellers.

I'm looking forward to seeing your comparison pic! As for my shedding; it's funny that I didn't notice it happening. I measured my ponytail dimension and saw that I had lost at least a half inch (from about 4" or more to 3 1/2"). It's very difficult to get a dependable pony measure but I happened to have a beautiful barrette that I purchased online several years ago that was much too small for the thickness of my hair. Now it fits perfectly so it's clear that there has been a loss over the last year. I don't see thinning at my scalp and my hair still seems thick.
    Thanks for the comprehensive list of places bokeh. It’s clear you are an expert shopper in this area. I asked the right people. I’m glad your mane is still gloriously thick. You truly have an impressive head of hair.

Length
    14/18/22
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    I need to show my mom this thread or something similar. She’s early 50’s and embracing her natural grey streaks, but seems convinced that just because she’s a certain age she needs to chop her beautiful hair into a bob. She wants me to do braids on her lately but doesn’t have enough hair to really braid.

She does oil treatments sometimes because her mom did it to her hair when she was little and I’ve gotten her into using scrunchies and soft ties, so the foundation is already laid for getting into natural haircare. It’s her hair to do whatever she wants with, but I think she would look lovely with longer hair. Maybe you ladies and your gorgeous hair would be the an inspiration. I know it’s inspiring to me to see older women rocking long natural hair despite what society says about it .
    That’s a lovely post. How thoughtful you are. I’m a relative newbie myself and I’ve been made incredibly welcome by everyone.

Length
    14/18/22
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by luluj View Post
    You are so welcome, Lainey.

I agree, longer hair is easier, it really is. Glad that you are over the awkward stage, I know from experience how long it seems to take to get through it all.

Hmmm I have to say necessities, lol. My first real hair accessory was a size small flexi-8. My hair is fine and not at all thick, so the small size is ideal, even at almost APL. I can just do a simple twist and it holds all of my hair up, no problem. They also come in extra small, which I would like for half-ups. As far as sticks and forks, I much prefer forks, they just seem to hold better, for me. The 60th St. hair forks are, in my opinion, the nicest and most secure hair forks out there. I have four of them and they get the most wear, hands down.

Now, all that said, I love the simple claw clip. The ones from France Luxe are superb quality and there are so many lovely styles to choose from.
    Thanks luluj. I guess it’s taking longer because I’m cutting the length so regularly, but I have to get it blunt first because it’s so fine. Your information about the possible hair toy options is most useful.

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Over 60s, the not so geriatric thread

Joining in. Turned 60 in November. Started growing at 42. My hair has generally been around hip length for many years now.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    14/18/22
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UP Lisa View Post
    Joining in. Turned 60 in November. Started growing at 42. My hair has generally been around hip length for many years now.
    Hi UP Lisa, welcome to this thread. Hip length, wow, how impressive. I’m one year into a growth journey from pixie, so at quite a different length. Your hair looks fantastic, I like the waves.

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Hi UP Lisa, welcome to this thread. Hip length, wow, how impressive. I’m one year into a growth journey from pixie, so at quite a different length. Your hair looks fantastic, I like the waves.
    Thank you. I started with a permed pixie. Time and patience. That's what it takes. You have to really want it.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    14/18/22
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Thank you. I started with a permed pixie. Time and patience. That's what it takes. You have to really want it.
    Yes, I saw your post on the pixie thread about you having to be gentle with your hair. It was quite encouraging to me because mine needs careful handling too. Like you, I’ve realised I need to keep blunting the hemline until the layers are gone. Thus, it’s slow progress but I’m quietly determined though!

Length
    1"/36"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Hi UP Lisa. It's nice to have you on this thread. You got an early start on growing your hair! I was in my 60's when I started and I'm sure I'll be a long hair for the rest of my life.

Oh my goodness! It is so good to see you again, UP Lisa!