Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    Has anyone had experience with putting oils on just the ends after washing and then leaving them in? I’m thinking about doing that with EVOO this evening ( it’s wash day) but I’m not sure if it will make my hair greasy.
    I do that but with a much lighter oil than olive oil. I use baby oil (thin mineral oil) now but have used other light oils in the past. I find that vegetable oils attract lint so I switched to baby oil and I love it. I hardly ever have to reoil midweek.
    I woke up like this (brushing the top of my calves somehow??)

That girl with the hair The-Young-Maid's Avatar
    Length
    ./FTL+/KNEE
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Has anyone had experience with putting oils on just the ends after washing and then leaving them in? I’m thinking about doing that with EVOO this evening ( it’s wash day) but I’m not sure if it will make my hair greasy.
    As long as you only use a drop or two you should be fine. It might take a few tries to get the correct amount. I do this with coconut oil. I just rub enough over my hands to make them shiny then start at the ends and work up.
    No Trim 2019/20/21 . Use It Up 2019/20/21 . Daily wash w/Sulfates and Cones. Coconut oil . CL 2019-FTL 2020-KNEE 2021

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by knobbly View Post
    I do that but with a much lighter oil than olive oil. I use baby oil (thin mineral oil) now but have used other light oils in the past. I find that vegetable oils attract lint so I switched to baby oil and I love it. I hardly ever have to reoil midweek.
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I happened to have a bottle of baby oil around so I used it to oil my ends right after washing and conditioning. We’ll see how my hair feels in the morning. If the oil does the job of making my ends soft, I’ll add it to my routine for sure.

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by The-Young-Maid View Post
    As long as you only use a drop or two you should be fine. It might take a few tries to get the correct amount. I do this with coconut oil. I just rub enough over my hands to make them shiny then start at the ends and work up.
    I’ve been wanting to try coconut oil because I know a lot of people swear by it for hair, but I really hate the smell of coconut...

Length
    Chin/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I've been doing that for a couple of months and I like it so far. Only 2 tiny drops, a little goes a long way as The-Young-Maid mentioned. I use avocado or grapeseed oil. Avocado is a bit heavier, but really sinks into my hair. Grapeseed is much lighter, but stays more as a coating. The latter definitely makes detangling easier. My hair eventually absorbs all the avocado oil, so if I accidentally use a drop too much, after a couple of hours it's not that noticeable anymore.

Never hurts to try
    CL - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - WL - ??
    2 years dye-free!

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I happened to have a bottle of baby oil around so I used it to oil my ends right after washing and conditioning. We’ll see how my hair feels in the morning. If the oil does the job of making my ends soft, I’ll add it to my routine for sure.
    Oh cool, let us know how you like it!

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I’ve been wanting to try coconut oil because I know a lot of people swear by it for hair, but I really hate the smell of coconut...
    I hate the smell too. So close to the face, all the time, it just gets nauseating. REFINED coconut oil is the same as "virgin" or "organic" oil save for the "fragrance". I use it a lot.

https://louana.com/
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Just woke up and took my hair down. It definitely feels soft, and it’s significantly less tangled/frizzy than usual. My ends are pretty oily but I think I simply used too much. The oiliness will wear off eventually. I like this! It does much better than my usual leave-in conditioner.

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Just woke up and took my hair down. It definitely feels soft, and it’s significantly less tangled/frizzy than usual. My ends are pretty oily but I think I simply used too much. The oiliness will wear off eventually. I like this! It does much better than my usual leave-in conditioner.
    Yes I use 8 drops max! Often less.

Length
    18"/34"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I only have ever put EVOO in my ends before washing so I'm pretty inexperienced. I have a couple of hair oil questions I wanna run down if that's ok
    1) Can I mix different oils together for this style of pre-washing treatment (say, jojoba, olive, and coconut)?
    2) Is there any oils I SHOULDN'T mix together?
    3) I've seen people do oil treatments where they put the oil into their conditioner...? Does anyone have any good recipes with the type of oil/conditioner they can reccomend?

Up till now, I assumed that oil treatments were pretty lax and came without too many rules. I thought there was no consequence if I do it "wrong" (except protein or moisture overloads) But now I am thinking that I am not helping my hair at all, but rather just making my washing times more difficult.
    Thinking Long Hair Thoughts