Page 53 of 529 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Length
    9/26/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Hello to all!

I have read this thread from the beginning to end... wow!
    I have copied a lot of info in a file to read it later and process all this information better.
    I have a question now that has been posted before but I wonder if there is any update.

I do not live in the States now, and I wonder if any european user can report a conditioner that is easy to find here, or if there is any generic brand that can be find in both continents.

I thought I would go for the herbal essences one, but the "hello hydration" is not available in my country. Herbal essences has other lines here.
    I wonder why the big industries do that. I hate that you get used to one product that is a worldwide brand and when you change location is not available there.

Well, congrats to all for your wonderful progress and thanks to Katani for all the work, compilations, research and advise she gives to us.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

Zenity

Welcome to LHC. And you are most welcome.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed reading the thread.

There is a lot of information to process but the most recent information, in the last several pages is I believe, the most important.

The 4 to 1 liquid to honey dilution, the right kind of conditioner if used, the spice boosters - cinnamon and possibly cardamom, no Vitamin C ingredients in the recipe, a white vinegar rinse or shampoo to deal with honey residue, and keeping the hair covered with plastic while the treatment is on the hair. And the fact that other than some reports of honey residue dryness, the treatments cause no ill effects to the hair.

While you are waiting to hear about a European equivalent to the conditioner that you are used to, you have several options.

You could try Mellie's Mix - Roman chamomile, mullein, alfalfa or other honey - you could use a dark coloured honey blend - and add a booster if you wish.

Or honey, water or a single herb herb tea like Roman chamomile, a bit of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil and another booster like cinnamon.

Or you could check out the labels of the Herbal Essences conditioners that you have available to you and compare the ingredients to the Hello Hydration ingredient list. As long as the main ingredients are the same and in the same amounts - their positions on the ingredient list indicating their concentrations - and the conditioner is light - they should be fine to use.

Hello Hydration Conditioner ingredient list
    "Water, Stearyl Alcohol, CyclopentaSiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Dimethicone, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera Milk (Coconut), Fragrance, Glutamic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Blue 1"
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...23&catid=10329
    Last edited by ktani; May 10th, 2008 at 06:22 AM. Reason: clarification

Length
    9/26/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Ktani,

Thanks for taking the time to find some good alternatives for me.

I think that a good option could be to use any of the above listed recipes with a little bit of EVOO since I am not sure about what conditioner to use. That brings another question to my mind: Has anyones used jojoba oil in any of the honey mixes? What do you think about it?

At the place I live I can get honey and EVOO directly from the farmers. I hope the local plants that the bees use to produce the honey are the "good" ones!
    The problem, for me, might be adding cinnamon. Not sure if the cinnamon gives a reddish tone to the hair. My hair is quite dark and naturally goes to red as soon a the sun reflects on it. I can't say that I like it...

As soon as I try it I will report my results.

Thanks a lot!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Zenity View Post
    Ktani,

Thanks for taking the time to find some good alternatives for me.

I think that a good option could be to use any of the above listed recipes with a little bit of EVOO since I am not sure about what conditioner to use. That brings another question to my mind: Has anyones used jojoba oil in any of the honey mixes? What do you think about it?

At the place I live I can get honey and EVOO directly from the farmers. I hope the local plants that the bees use to produce the honey are the "good" ones!
    The problem, for me, might be adding cinnamon. Not sure if the cinnamon gives a reddish tone to the hair. My hair is quite dark and naturally goes to red as soon a the sun reflects on it. I can't say that I like it...

As soon as I try it I will report my results.

Thanks a lot!
    Zenity

There is no way to know in advance if the honey you choose to use will produce enough peroxide for the treatment to be successful unless you can test it, or unless it is the over processed UF honey, which is very pale yellow in colour, thicker than regular honey and tastes different than regular honey - which you can avoid buying.

brok3nwings was also concerned that cinnamon might add red tones to her hair - it did not and has not been reported to do so in this thread in any reports on honey cinnamon treatments.

Take another look at her pictures - she used honey and cinnamon - no red.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=516

This link has her before picture - the honey recipe that she used with cinnamon reduced the brassiness she had to none, IMO.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=503

And firebird's latest results. The honey cinnamon recipe she used lightened the red/gold tones a previous cassia treatment had given her hair and did not add any colour of its own.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=489

The 4 to 1 liquid to honey dilution was used in both cases - and both reported results were very successful.

I do not know what effect jojoba oil will have in the treatment. It does have a peroxide value - it should be ok to use but I do not recall anyone using it in a honey lightening treatment. It has no report track record. See "General Specifications" in this link.
    http://bulknaturaloils.com/plantoil/...jojobaoil.html

EVOO has the highest peroxide value among vegetable oils - I suggest using it - not too much - or coconut oil - both have been reported to work very well in honey lightening treatments as boosters.

I look forward to reading your results.
    Last edited by ktani; May 10th, 2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: adjust text

Default Honey thread

Zenity

I think that the natural progression when most dark hair lightens is from dark brown or black to red to brown to gold to yellow.

Honey lightening might bring out the natural red in your hair.

That would not be from the cinnamon.

I suggest that you strand test first.
    Last edited by ktani; May 10th, 2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: clarification

Length
    9/26/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Ktani,

I was actually thinking on doing the same type of test.
    Thnks! I will try and see what happens.
    Wish me luck! ;-)

Length
    12/13/16
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Hey yall!!
    I haven't been back because my computer has been down :/ so i finally got it back up today!
    I wonder...
    I usually mix my water with honey in a big batch maybe around 700 mL and use some and spray some later on, sometimes maybe weeks later.

Do you think it would give you less results since I have mixed the two together previously? I still add the cinnimon the day of but I want max results as quick as possible

Default Honey thread

Zenity - the best of luck!

Serea - I do not recommend keeping a batch for much longer than a day or so in the fridge - when you add water, I think that it can go bad over time and I am not sure how long that the peroxide stays potent.

If you spray the solution on your hair and not cover the hair - the treatment can dry out and become ineffective.

It is much better IMO, to make a fresh batch each time - using the 4 to 1 liquid to honey dilution and use it right away - you only need to leave the honey cinnamon or honey lightening treatment with this dilution on the hair, covered with plastic, for 1 hour.

Length
    12/13/16
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Alright! Thanks ktani
    if i leave it on the whole night.. is there going to be a big difference than if only an hour since it reaches its peak for like peroxide-ness (wow i spelled that horribly wrong) in an hour?

Hmm run what IMO means again?
    The lingo is still very new to me

Quote Originally Posted by Serea View Post
    Alright! Thanks ktani
    if i leave it on the whole night.. is there going to be a big difference than if only an hour since it reaches its peak for like peroxide-ness (wow i spelled that horribly wrong) in an hour?

Hmm run what IMO means again?
    The lingo is still very new to me
    Serea

Sorry for the short form - IMO means in my opinion.

I see no reason to leave the 4 to 1 liquid to honey dilution on the hair longer than 1 hour because that is the time needed for the peroxide in the honey to reach its maximum level - I do not believe that leaving the treatment on the hair longer than the hour will yield better results.

Results reported with the 1 hour only have been excellent - better than previous attempts with the same recipe, left on the hair longer but with a different dilution.
    Last edited by ktani; May 10th, 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: clarification