Page 502 of 878 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512552602 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

So I just went a bit crazy ordering bars both from CV and SCH... I'm really loving my shampoo bars now after some weeks of adjustment period.

I have two questions:

- what is the stuff called 'sodium hydroxide solution' in the SCH bars?

- I see people on here doing using conditioner before the shampoo bar - what does that do for you? I always use it after and sometimes I do CO, but I've never done it before the shampoo bar. (Unless I'm misunderstanding the acronyms, I mean when people write CWC)

...thanks everyone!

Length
    Chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Hi autumn leaves! The sodium hydroxide solution (lye) reacts with oil to make soap. So while it is very corrosive on its own, soapmakers calculate their amounts of oils/ so that once the soap is ready there is no more sodium hydroxide and a little excess fat (super fatted). If you've ever gotten bleach or ammonia on your hand, you would know that it feels kinda soapy on your skin. Thats because the bleach is reacting with the oils on you skin to make soap!!!!

As for people using conditioner before shampoo bars, I do this but I only put conditioner on my length (ears down), and keep it there while I shampoo my scalp. This way the conditioner protects my ends from the soap. I do this because if I use shampoo bars on my length it doesn't feel very nice (waxy, stringy), even after ~2 months. But by all means if your hair likes being washed with shampoo bars all over, don't stop.

Thanks, gabee, that was very informative - I didn't know the shs was the term for lye!

I'm still experimenting with different ways of using the shampoo bars so I'll keep your conditioner at the ends tip in mind. This whole alternatives to shampoo thing is so fascinating because almost every day I encounter a new little twist to doing things

Length
    Chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by autumn leaves View Post
    Thanks, gabee, that was very informative - I didn't know the shs was the term for lye!

I'm still experimenting with different ways of using the shampoo bars so I'll keep your conditioner at the ends tip in mind. This whole alternatives to shampoo thing is so fascinating because almost every day I encounter a new little twist to doing things
    I agree with you I want to try new things every day, and change my routine around a bit all the time. Always trying new things makes it hard to tell what exactly works and what doesn't though, its better to take your time. For my hair I find that most days I just CO, and shampoo once or twice a week with shampoo bars. I also sometimes use SLS free shampoo, but I still find it quite drying. I've been really surprised at how much moisture my hair needs, I always thought it was really greasy and wouldn't need much.

I want to try washing with indian herbs as an alternative to shampoo, using shikakai and such. I enjoy trying to find more natural ways to care for my hair

That sounds similar to what I do. I wash every second day, and alternate between CO and the shampoo bar/conditioner. Every eighth day I use an ACV rinse with the shampoo bar wash (after the bar/before the conditioner). So I'm kind of trying that cycle out for at least another month to see how that works. I could probably go three days between each wash, but my hair tends to get a bit out of shape (rather than dirty or oily) on day three.

Indian herbs? See I hadn't looked in to that one. Another one for the list Happy experimenting!

Length
    14in/27in/40in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Thank you kittensoupnrice and kathy! I think I will still get the butterbar conditioner but change my routine to fit the shampoo bar method. I have to wait to get paid on a week and then itll take soooo long for that package to get here... *sigh* I wish I had it now Does anyone have a sample bar they would be able to spare at a small charge (for while I have to wait?)?
    Last edited by Viechen; August 18th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
    I want my hair to be waist length NOW!
    Henna addict in the making and proud owner of a steadily growing collection of oils and butters and hair toys

Length
    17.5/28/34??
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Hooray! I just got my first shampoo bar today (from Fitjarsoap)!

I was planning to wash my hair today, so it was good it came. Anyway, it made my hair very clean but I kind of failed at the acidic rinse. I was going to use the rest of my ACV and had it in a pitcher on the sink outside of the shower, but while shampooing I managed to get the stuff in my eyes (seriously, it hurt more than EVERYTHING) and I knew I had to RINSE IMMEDIATELY so I put the shampoo bar back on the sink, but I could not see, so I knocked over the pitcher with ACV (on the FLOOR!). I'm a bit embarrassed.

I shampooed twice, got excellent lather the second time. The part of my hair that is dry feels very soft. So, success, and I will do the acidic rinse the next time I wash my hair instead.

*January vs June*
    No more trims until the new year!
    Wearing hair up for 1 year

Length
    waist/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ingvild View Post
    I was going to use the rest of my ACV and had it in a pitcher on the sink outside of the shower, but while shampooing I managed to get the stuff in my eyes (seriously, it hurt more than EVERYTHING) and I knew I had to RINSE IMMEDIATELY so I put the shampoo bar back on the sink, but I could not see, so I knocked over the pitcher with ACV (on the FLOOR!). I'm a bit embarrassed.
    D'oh! Sorry to hear about your ACV accident, but I'd like to point out something positive about the experience.

At least, when you get soap in your eyes, you KNOW that you did, and you can immediately rinse it out. Soap hurts, but it's not nearly as bad for your eyes as SLS shampoos are. Research has shown that sulfates are very damaging for your eyes, and can even cause permanent eye damage in children. And the scary thing is that many SLS shampoos have ingredients in them to minimize eye pain, so you might not even be able to tell if you DO get any in your eyes. Scary thought!

Hope you continue enjoying your shampoo bars, though!
    Last edited by kittensoupnrice; August 21st, 2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo!

Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I got soap in my eyes too the first time I used mine T__T. It is superpainful! But it hasn't happened again, I guess it's just a matter of knowing to be careful.

I'm generally a bit confused about what the shampoo bar removes and what it doesn't remove. I've been told that it won't remove cones so I've changed to a cone free conditioner. Are there particular ingredients I should look out for, or do I just need to generally stay clear of conventional styling products? I use the CV and SCH bars.