Length
    13/13/24
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Curly Girl Method (CGM) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zuzannaa.aaa View Post
    1) What's your hair type/curl pattern?
    2) What do you use for your CO-wash?
    3) What do you use for your final conditioner?
    4) When do you put in your styling products and what are they?
    5) How often do you wash?
    6) How long have you been using this method and what results have you seen?
    7) Do you do any other treatments along with the basic CO-wash and styling?
    1.) My hair is wavy! 2a-2c, maybe. Low porosity.
    2.) I just use silicone-free conditioner. My favorites are Cantu (really any of their conditioners), SheaMoisture Strengthen & Restore, and SheaMoisture Low-Porosity Protein-Free conditioner. I also wash with SheaMoisture's low-porosity protein-free shampoo.
    3.) Same conditioners as #2.
    4.) Sometimes, especially on extra tangly days, I use SheaMoisture protein-free detangler in the shower or afterwards while my hair is still wet, and comb it through with a wide-tooth shower comb. I let my hair dry completely (usually overnight) before lightly combing it with a wide-tooth hair pick. The main hair styler I use is SheaMoisture Hold & Shine moisture mist. I use this like a hair spray, even though it's just a mist. It holds my curls in well, actually!
    5.) Most days. Usually every couple of days.
    6.) About 4 months now!
    7.) Yes.... I use cassia and henna I love the way cassia affects my hair. It's a proven way for me to go knot-free, I love it! It's wild!

I also use SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration masque sometimes, especially as a conditioner after henna and "henndigo." It really, really helps soften my hair: https://www.target.com/p/sheamoistur...z/-/A-15651079

I avoid sulfates and silicones at all costs!

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

A question for between-washes. I've been on the CGM a bit over a year, but I don't really find the payoff worth it. Since I'm a wavy, I thought I would try it, mainly to improve the condition of my hair, but I can't say it looks or feels better. I'm now doing a slight variation of it, just to bring out the waves-with-some-curls.

To revive the curls, is there something that one can do between washes? I've tried spritzing water and although it perks up the curl (er, *wave*) it doesn't make them clump and it just looks stringy. Oil is iffy on my hair, so I'm off it at the moment. Is there something else one can try that is CGM friendly? Thanks!
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Length
    BSL/TBL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by intothemist1999 View Post
    A question for between-washes. I've been on the CGM a bit over a year, but I don't really find the payoff worth it. Since I'm a wavy, I thought I would try it, mainly to improve the condition of my hair, but I can't say it looks or feels better. I'm now doing a slight variation of it, just to bring out the waves-with-some-curls.

To revive the curls, is there something that one can do between washes? I've tried spritzing water and although it perks up the curl (er, *wave*) it doesn't make them clump and it just looks stringy. Oil is iffy on my hair, so I'm off it at the moment. Is there something else one can try that is CGM friendly? Thanks!
    It could be your hair doesn't respond to damp refreshing well and you could benefit from wet refreshing. That's even more of a hassle though. Have you tried using a brush to clump?
    Chin • APL • BSL • MBL •WL​ • HL • BCL • TBL • CL
    Lady Marie of the Scarlet Kin
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I haven't been doing this very long but one method I find that works for me is to put a tiny amount of curl cream or leave in on my palm then spray a few sprays of water on my palm. Then a run my hands together to mix it and smooth it on my hair, then gently scrunch. When applying I kinda bend my fingers sorta like I am going to finger detangle so my fingers go a bit between the clumps to get some moisture in there. I do it very gently. I gently scrunch. I don't use to much so it's just barely damp and dries fast. I have seen a lot of people online using a steam refresh. I haven't tried that but they seem to get good results.

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Tried cgm for a while and it just made my hair feel coated and icky. Also gave me an itchy scalp. I stopped and went back to my regular routine.

I also have the same issue with trying to refresh my curls/waves. When I spray my hair with water it sorta clumps but mostly just looks odd. I gave up and just braid my hair or put it up in a LWB

What I found really helps is using a gel, it keeps my hair decent until next wash.

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mariekeeee14 View Post
    It could be your hair doesn't respond to damp refreshing well and you could benefit from wet refreshing. That's even more of a hassle though. Have you tried using a brush to clump?
    Thanks for the water tip. I haven't tried a brush...it makes me anxious that the wave/curl will disappear altogether

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kibrah View Post
    ...one method I find that works for me is to put a tiny amount of curl cream or leave in on my palm then spray a few sprays of water on my palm. Then a run my hands together to mix it and smooth it on my hair, then gently scrunch. When applying I kinda bend my fingers sorta like I am going to finger detangle so my fingers go a bit between the clumps to get some moisture in there. I do it very gently. I gently scrunch. I don't use to much so it's just barely damp and dries fast...

Thanks you for that info, I will give it a whirl!!

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Arciela View Post
    Tried cgm for a while and it just made my hair feel coated and icky. Also gave me an itchy scalp. I stopped and went back to my regular routine.....

What I found really helps is using a gel, it keeps my hair decent until next wash.
    Thanks for the tips! Yeah the cgm gave me scalp problems, too, so I was off it for a couple months, recently. I'm now doing a modified version by adding any post-washing/conditioning product after I undo the plop, and to the length only. It means touching the hair, with I know some people don't like to do (and I know it's not causing some of the problem in my original question because I had this issue while on cgm-proper). I've also had to switch to using the blow dryer some, because my hair takes forever to dry and I think that was part of the scalp problem
    . I'm looking for the perfect gel...I kind of went off that, too, when the scalp problems started but I should re-introduce that.

Thanks again!

Length
    BSL/TBL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by intothemist1999 View Post
    Thanks for the water tip. I haven't tried a brush...it makes me anxious that the wave/curl will disappear altogether
    I'm referring to brush styling, so it's wet brushing in a certain fashion, not dry brushing. I'm sure it's on youtube and on instagram (if you use that)
    Chin • APL • BSL • MBL •WL​ • HL • BCL • TBL • CL
    Lady Marie of the Scarlet Kin
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mariekeeee14 View Post
    I'm referring to brush styling, so it's wet brushing in a certain fashion, not dry brushing. I'm sure it's on youtube and on instagram (if you use that)
    Oh, interesting, thanks! I'll look into it!