Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Hairstyles for working out, exercising and sports

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

I have to say that I cannot wear a Ficcare for any sports,it just doesn't carry my hair. I do a tight braid and fold it up in four and tie with a scrunchie.I just can't leave the braid down it keeps hitting my butt and well it hurts

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

For the record, I dug out the Buff and bike today, commuted the 5 or so miles to campus. (Other than a sensitive, not-yet-callused bum, things went well. Even though most of the route is 40-55 mph traffic.) Buff under helmet is great -- way less sweat on my face, and a notable lack of gross helmet pad marks! Braid got all fuzzy, but I don't see any way around that.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Alright, I've now ordered two pony scrubs, since Trolleypup is always raving on about them, and I can't wait to get them! (actually, my sister is giving them to me for my birhtday at the end of May).

I think they will be a significant improvement, since I now wear a bandana on top of my bun to protect my scalp and for sweat-soaking reasons - and now my bun will be protected too!

Thanks for the tip, Trolleypup!
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Random Thought Provoker nicolezoie's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/floor/Dunno
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default ...my own invention.

Avid cyclist and beginning runner here. I have these home made hair sleeves made of nylon strips that I pull my ponytail through, then roll into a ball/bun which then hangs just above my shoulders. When I bike I shove the bundle through the back of my helmet just above the adjuster. When I run, I just let the bundle swing between my shoulders. Sometimes though that's not very comfortable because of the weight, so I just unroll the ball and let my sleeve'd ponytail hang. That's actually alot more comfortable than having the bundle bang my neck, but it draws ALOT of attention.

Also, I sweat profusely. But, it's mostly the water I'm drinking along the way, so it rarely stinks or even smells funny. I bike most days of the week and run a couple times, and I still only have to wash my scalp 2-3 times a week.
    2a/b, iii (just over 4") and f/m.
    Pixie to ... is it floor now?? I guess so! 20 total years.
    Seen "Tangled"? That's my hair. . I'm even in the Special Thanks section of the credits!

Length
    16/21/30
    Type
    1c/F/ii

What about wearing a ponytail and then braid the tail? I guess that would protect the length but I am a little worried that the upper elastic will cause friction when I move. What to you think?

My hair is pretty slippery and at this length a regular braid just isn't secure enough to stay when I exercise.

Has anyone tried that style?

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've been wearing my hair in a cinnabun with my Ketylo AquaPearl hairsticks when I use the elliptical trainer. This works fine for me, but my hair is on the fine/thin side and is therefore rather light considering that it's close to 30 inches long. I'm sure that thickies and people with super long hair might need something more secure than this.

I haven't found my perfect solution yet for securing my hair while lifting weights. I just got back to lifting after a long time away from it. I used to just put my hair in a ponytail with an elastic (the kind without a metal piece). However, I know that causes breakage, and anyway, my hair was a lot shorter at that time. I don't think it would work well for me now. I've just been making a kind of turd on the back of my head and securing it as best I can with a scrunchie.

I've been wanting one of those pony scrubs that Trolleypup mentioned for a while, though. I might order one of those to wear while lifting.
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I thought I'd add in, since I've been doing much more stuff outdoors.

I've been using the buff under my bike helmet, hair braided and it really keeps the sweat out of my eyes (I'm sweat profusely, so this is important to me!). I also like that if I pull it down enough over my forehead, it completely eliminates the dents I get from my helmet pads.

And I very recently discovered that a buff can make an excellent replacement for a swim cap (I'm a Masters swimmer) and it TOTALLY eliminates the nape breakage I've always gotten with swim caps. I wear a medium sized buff for swimming, though, so it doesn't slip when it gets wet. Perfecto!
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Exercising & Other Hairstyle Questions

My hair is as long as it is in my signature picture, so I think I'm pretty restricted in what I can do with it. I don't care for it down, because if I don't blow dry it (I don't) it dries stupid. What styles can be done at this length? I'd like to learn some new ones. I've got a couple ficcares, a flexi 8 & a couple sticks.

Also, I haven't found anything good for working out. I need something very secure that keeps my hair off of my face and my neck. So far, the best thing I've been able to come up with is to put my hair into a ponytail and then Hairagami it, or to start a ponytail but not pull it all the way through and to wind the hair tie through it a couple times. It's getting long enough that this is coming loose, so I've been adding another hair tie.

Thanks for your help!

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I braid my hair for working out. Depending on the type of workout I'm doing it works just fine. If it's running or something else where my hair will be flying around I will often add extra ties around the braid (like a caterpiller pony). When I bike I braid and wear a buff under my helmet to prevent the helmet parts from pulling or snagging. For swimming I braid and wear a smaller sized buff instead of a swim cap (it fits more snugly when wet) so that the small hairs at the nape of my neck don't break. When I teach spin classes, I either wear a braid or bun with a ficcare. For yoga it just depends on my mood. Braid or bun.

Hope this helps.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

When my hair was long, I would put it in a pony tail or braid low on my head but off my neck. Then I would put a head band on and tuck the end of the pontytail or braid into the bottom of the headband. This works especially well with those stayput headbands.