Page 471 of 878 FirstFirst ... 371421461469470471472473481521571 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    10"/18"?/24"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

I tried the CV Carrot Milk & Honey shampoo bar earlier and I am in loooovvveee!!! I lathered and rinsed twice and then followed with an ACV rinse with organic ACV and filtered water (1:10)...left in a minute and rinsed well. My hair was easy to comb out and now that it's dry it is smooth, shiny, soft, and even feels thicker...my scalp feels really nice too! This one is a definite keeper!! I still need to try a few of the others to give them another chance but so far the ones that have worked really well for me have been the olive babassu, neem & tea tree, and nettle...but carrot milk & honey is just awesome. I have ordered an obscene number of shampoo bars and soaps from Ida in the past couple weeks...$150 worth and cant wait to try them all! I never thought I could become addicted to soap of all things...WRONG!! Being a mom of 4, with two kids under 2, the shower is the one place I can escape to. Now wth all of these wonderful soaps...I don't want to leave! Someone please help me before I order even more!

Length
    10"/18"?/24"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Talking Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
    I use lush henna and haven’t had any problems with the CV bars... I have a few of them including the Babassu and Marsh Mallow and the Olive Babassu that you mentioned. Overall I don’t really have anything obscure to report
    One thing though... I don’t use the poo bars to wash out the henna. Instead I do a CO wash, then sometimes a poo-bar wash depending how I’m feeling. Its just easier to get the henna out that way.
    I got my henna from Henna Hut about a year ago. It's the only henna I've ever tried (and I've only done it a few times) but I had very good results with it. Thanks for the tip on the CO wash!

Length
    10"/18"?/24"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by dfotw View Post
    I use Lush henna and Olive&Babassu 'poo bar, and I've not noticed any trouble. Like Kathie, though, I wash off the henna with conditioner and only then use the bars...

... and speaking of CV bars: my loot is here! (really fast shipping too, only seven days from the day I ordered until my package was here in Europe, and they wrote a little note in Spanish and everything! )
    Thanks for mentioning that you also CO first before using the bars...must be the way to go! You're right that she ships FAST! I'm super lucky that I'm only a state away...I didn't get a note though.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_099 View Post
    I tried the CV Carrot Milk & Honey shampoo bar earlier and I am in loooovvveee!!! I lathered and rinsed twice and then followed with an ACV rinse with organic ACV and filtered water (1:10)...left in a minute and rinsed well. My hair was easy to comb out and now that it's dry it is smooth, shiny, soft, and even feels thicker...my scalp feels really nice too! This one is a definite keeper!! I still need to try a few of the others to give them another chance but so far the ones that have worked really well for me have been the olive babassu, neem & tea tree, and nettle...but carrot milk & honey is just awesome. I have ordered an obscene number of shampoo bars and soaps from Ida in the past couple weeks...$150 worth and cant wait to try them all! I never thought I could become addicted to soap of all things...WRONG!! Being a mom of 4, with two kids under 2, the shower is the one place I can escape to. Now wth all of these wonderful soaps...I don't want to leave! Someone please help me before I order even more!
    Wow soaps $150 worth.
    Do you also have the Ayurvedic Herb shampoo bar?

Edit: Sorry just read on the page before that you already tried the Ayurvedic Herb poo bar in combination with another bar.
    Last edited by Finchen; February 12th, 2011 at 09:14 PM.

Length
    16"/30"/36"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I just heard about Chagrin Valley Soap, and luckily I get to support my home state by purchasing from them. I have been wanting to try organic shampoo really bad for the last several months but all that stuff is quite expensive for me right now. So, I bought another cheapy small bottle of Garnier Triple Nutrition. I am aware that there is at least one 'cone in the GF Triple Nutrition ingredients. I want to go organic.

I'm willing to try shampoo bars, because from what I hear they are wonderful and last a long time, and are inexpensive. But I don't have two nickles to rub together, which means I can't spend on something I won't like/won't be good for my hair type. My husband is supportive, so I'm going to spend about $10 on few shampoo bar samples from CV. I haven't been able to afford going to my regular stylist, so I haven't had a trim since November and that's fine with me (so far splits are minimal, but I am starting to freak out). I have only been using my hair dryer lately (after my hair is 75% air dried) on occasion, and have given up on my expensive hair straightener for now.

So here's my question: For my mid-back length hair, which is a mixture of mostly coarse hair all around, with fine hairs at the nape... it's a lil' dry at the middle and the ends. It's naturally wavy but I tend to dislike the frizz at the tips and all over which is why I smooth it out with a blowdryer and a Boar/Nylon round brush (and my Mason Pearson). I wash my hair about every three days with that Garnier (but hopefully not for long) and my hair usually starts to get a lil' oily at the scalp (mostly my bangs), sometimes it gets oily after the first day, sometimes not until a day or two. I have a feeling that the Garnier Triple Nutrition has confused my hair with all the bad-ingredients, and perhaps it has been drying out my tips all these years.

So, which CV brands would you recommend I try? Should I use a rinse afterward, and waht would you recommend I try? Can I keep using my Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner with a new CV shampoo bar?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I'm super excited to stop using store brand 'poos!

Length
    10"/18"?/24"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Smile Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Karmi View Post
    I just heard about Chagrin Valley Soap, and luckily I get to support my home state by purchasing from them. I have been wanting to try organic shampoo really bad for the last several months but all that stuff is quite expensive for me right now. So, I bought another cheapy small bottle of Garnier Triple Nutrition. I am aware that there is at least one 'cone in the GF Triple Nutrition ingredients. I want to go organic.

I'm willing to try shampoo bars, because from what I hear they are wonderful and last a long time, and are inexpensive. But I don't have two nickles to rub together, which means I can't spend on something I won't like/won't be good for my hair type. My husband is supportive, so I'm going to spend about $10 on few shampoo bar samples from CV. I haven't been able to afford going to my regular stylist, so I haven't had a trim since November and that's fine with me (so far splits are minimal, but I am starting to freak out). I have only been using my hair dryer lately (after my hair is 75% air dried) on occasion, and have given up on my expensive hair straightener for now.

So here's my question: For my mid-back length hair, which is a mixture of mostly coarse hair all around, with fine hairs at the nape... it's a lil' dry at the middle and the ends. It's naturally wavy but I tend to dislike the frizz at the tips and all over which is why I smooth it out with a blowdryer and a Boar/Nylon round brush (and my Mason Pearson). I wash my hair about every three days with that Garnier (but hopefully not for long) and my hair usually starts to get a lil' oily at the scalp (mostly my bangs), sometimes it gets oily after the first day, sometimes not until a day or two. I have a feeling that the Garnier Triple Nutrition has confused my hair with all the bad-ingredients, and perhaps it has been drying out my tips all these years.

So, which CV brands would you recommend I try? Should I use a rinse afterward, and waht would you recommend I try? Can I keep using my Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner with a new CV shampoo bar?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I'm super excited to stop using store brand 'poos!
    Hi Karmi! I'm new here too but thought I might be able to give some advice. Maybe others will chime in and know better than I do what to tell you. It's really hard to know what would work for your hair since we are all different, and what works for some...doesn't for others. With that in mind, I would try the Olive Babassu (seems like lots of people like that one) and maybe one of her conditioning bars (I haven't tried any yet). It sounds like you may benefit from using one of her soap bars instead of the poo bar for added moisture. I haven't tried this yet but I have read plenty who have and had great results. Maybe something like the Chocolate Almond or Chocolate Orange Twist? As for the rinse...you will probably need it. If you don't have hard water though, you may be able to skip it or I know there are other rinses that some use. Make sure you do a clarifying rinse before you try the poo bars. Your conditioner appears to have cones in it, which don't work well with the bars. You may find (like myself, and many others) that you don't need one at all anymore, or you might need to find another conditioner to use that is cone-free. Here's a list http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=2216 . Hope this helps a little...and good luck!

Length
    10"/18"?/24"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finchen View Post
    Wow soaps $150 worth.
    Do you also have the Ayurvedic Herb shampoo bar?

Edit: Sorry just read on the page before that you already tried the Ayurvedic Herb poo bar in combination with another bar.
    Yes, Finchen, I did try it but I need to give it another chance. I think the problem was the Mango Multi bar that I used after. Lots of people like that one, so I'm sure if I give it another go using just it and my ACV rinse I will have much better results. I'll be sure to post once I try again!

Length
    32/40/FTL
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Hi Karmi and welcome!

I'm relatively new to shampoo bars to, but I'll try to give you some advice until someone more knowledgeable pipes in (my first instinct was to screech, "if you're a wavy, step away from the brush if you want the frizz to be gone!", but that's not what this thread is about, is it? ): I second the Olive & Babassu recommendation; I have a feeling that it's one of the 'basic' bars and nicely moisturising, and I'd look for other moisturising bars that might weigh your hair down a bit, to help with the frizz... maybe the Coconut Milk (it's worked well for me) or the Butter Conditioner (haven't tried it yet, but I plan to!)?

Also, yes, a rinse is best; I use about a cup of water with a teaspoon or two of ACV (infused with rosemary and sage when I have time, plain if not). And I would switch to a cone-free conditioner instead of using the Garnier, as shampoo bars don't deal all that well with cones (clarifying before using them is also a good idea!).

HTH!

TUTORIAL: How To Make Bead-Topped Metal Hair-Sticks At Home
    Looking for chipped/scratched/unloved Ficcares to mod! - Wishlist

Length
    PIXIE/CHIN/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Talking Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

This thread is AMAZING, so full of great information! Thank you EVERYONE! Today I used my first poo bar, and WOW! I really hope this isn't just one of those great results at first but fades over time products. Because if this keeps up these poo bars will be a quasi hair revolution product for me! I buy mine from a little shop on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/sofiart (she ships to the U.S. and Europe)

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I got a parcel of ... stuff ... from Chagrin Valley today (mostly poo bars). Now, which one to try first ... decisions, decisions.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights