Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

Length
    SL/Class/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

I grow it because I love it and it's so beautiful
    I love my hair, and kitties

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

I've been a High Priestess of a witch coven for about 22 years. All the women who join end up growing their hair long - without it being a rule or requirement. As each woman grows into herself, gains confidence and power, her hair length almost seems to express and enhance this.

The connection between religion/spiritual paths and hair are worldwide and throughout time. Growing it, covering, sacrificing, by cutting it all off or matting/locking it. Tonsuring for Christian monks and cropping for nuns used to be a profound and necessary part of their ritual negation of self in favour of dedication to their God. Most religions have strong beliefs relating to the covering or exposing of hair and how it relates to modesty, particularly for women.

From modesty to chastity, chastity to sexuality, from sexuality to spirituality - there are archetypes, mythologies, lore and legends abounding relating to long hair, sexuality and spirituality. What witch image, what goddess, what icon of any female potency sits quite right in our psyches without long hair, either up or down?

In traditional magical practice the loosening of braids was a method to raise storms - it could easily be interpreted as storms of reaction regarding decency, or the arousal of lust and passion within self or others rather than just the weather! The response to older women with long hair is a great example, (you know exactly what I mean I am sure!)

Native Americans of some tribes consider their tracking skills to be connected and enhanced in potential by their hair, almost as a sensory organ.

So for me, yes, and without actually going into detail, there is indeed a strongly spiritual aspect based in a pagan tradition. Solidly entwined with aesthetics, art, eroticism, sensuality and sexuality - all of which are by their nature wholly spiritual in lifting us out of the mundane now and into the divine 'other'.

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

That was the most beautiful gift.

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Oops, didn't press reply with quote! Was in response to the lady who cut her hair off and presented it as a wig to a friend ridden with cancer.

Length
    sl/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I am religious/spiritual but that's not why I grow my hair. I actually do it for aesthetics/because I feel more like who I want to be with longer hair. I don't think the particular God I believe in cares about my hair length and I certainly am not of the personal opinion that women need long hair to be powerful or in touch with their femininity.
    Proud mama and fiancée
    Chin length

Length
    6/24.5/45"
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra. View Post
    I've been a High Priestess of a witch coven for about 22 years. All the women who join end up growing their hair long - without it being a rule or requirement. As each woman grows into herself, gains confidence and power, her hair length almost seems to express and enhance this.

The connection between religion/spiritual paths and hair are worldwide and throughout time. Growing it, covering, sacrificing, by cutting it all off or matting/locking it. Tonsuring for Christian monks and cropping for nuns used to be a profound and necessary part of their ritual negation of self in favour of dedication to their God. Most religions have strong beliefs relating to the covering or exposing of hair and how it relates to modesty, particularly for women.

From modesty to chastity, chastity to sexuality, from sexuality to spirituality - there are archetypes, mythologies, lore and legends abounding relating to long hair, sexuality and spirituality. What witch image, what goddess, what icon of any female potency sits quite right in our psyches without long hair, either up or down?

In traditional magical practice the loosening of braids was a method to raise storms - it could easily be interpreted as storms of reaction regarding decency, or the arousal of lust and passion within self or others rather than just the weather! The response to older women with long hair is a great example, (you know exactly what I mean I am sure!)

Native Americans of some tribes consider their tracking skills to be connected and enhanced in potential by their hair, almost as a sensory organ.

So for me, yes, and without actually going into detail, there is indeed a strongly spiritual aspect based in a pagan tradition. Solidly entwined with aesthetics, art, eroticism, sensuality and sexuality - all of which are by their nature wholly spiritual in lifting us out of the mundane now and into the divine 'other'.
    This is just about the coolest expression of self I've ever read.
    ** Henna Head! **
    "Your hair is the ball gown that you never take off." - Jo Robertson
    SL (16")- APL (21.5) - BSL (24.5") -MBL 26.5 - WL (29") - Hips (31")

Length
    Class/waist/Class
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Initially, my #1 reason for growing my hair was simply for the experience of having very long hair after having short hair most of my life. That said, I do think there is a very spiritual component in keeping my hair long for me.

Most of my hair growth has happened during the last three years, which has been a very difficult, trying time in my life. If I just cut it off in an attempt to forget about it and 'move on,' to me that would be the same as suffering for no reason. I want to acknowledge and forgive myself for my weaknesses in order to become a more compassionate and understanding person (both to myself and others). I see the hair I managed to grow during this time as a symbol of this.

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Thank you for your wise words, Alexandra! I love them and it expresses a lot what I feel but was not able to put in words.
    Long hair and green cosmetics: http://anitaswelt.wordpress.com

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Chin/40.5/TERM
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I agree with the feeling a connection, it makes you feel like you are almost part of something special. In a society that values new trends every other month, it is nice to know that you are staying true to your truest self, and growing out our natural hair is the best way I could see that done now days.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Not one iota whatsoever.