Page 427 of 529 FirstFirst ... 327377417425426427428429437477527 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,270 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Quote Originally Posted by Annitta View Post
    Thank you for the article reference, Ktani. I don't want to make it any lighter, i want to grow out my own color, so i dyed a similar color, since my hair is short, will be quick.
    Just wanted to comment how faster it was to lighten dyed hair, i did this quite a while ago, after reading this own thread.
    I've used honey to lighten twice in the past months, very satisfactory, since i only wanted a lighter base without using bleach.
    When i get some greys i might want to turn blonde. There is just so many good uses for honey.
    Thank you for taking the time to report and clarifying what you were trying to achieve. I am very glad to read that the thread was helpful for you.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I did my 3rd or 4th honey treatment last night, lost count already! My hair seems significantly brighter now, especially underneath where there wasn't as much dye from the chocolate semi I used. Might need a couple of more applications to lighten the top layers which are the darkest from the "semi that won't budge". But overall I'm very happy with honey lightening.

My only problem is that after a while with the mixture on my head (new dilution plus a little bit of cinnamon and evoo) it starts to smell almost like amonia. Which is a bit ick. Plus the stuff is a nightmare to wash out, after using fairy liquid, johnson's baby shampoo and copious amounts of cone free conditoner my hair is still a little bit gunky from honey residue.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Quote Originally Posted by BelleBot View Post
    I did my 3rd or 4th honey treatment last night, lost count already! My hair seems significantly brighter now, especially underneath where there wasn't as much dye from the chocolate semi I used. Might need a couple of more applications to lighten the top layers which are the darkest from the "semi that won't budge". But overall I'm very happy with honey lightening.

My only problem is that after a while with the mixture on my head (new dilution plus a little bit of cinnamon and evoo) it starts to smell almost like amonia. Which is a bit ick. Plus the stuff is a nightmare to wash out, after using fairy liquid, johnson's baby shampoo and copious amounts of cone free conditoner my hair is still a little bit gunky from honey residue.
    Odd about the smell. No ammonia happening in the mix. Glad to read that you are still happy with your results and making progress. Some honeys leave more residue behind than others. There is no way to predict that.

Length
    18/25.5/waist
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Hi all,

I've tried to read through this thread but it's incredibly long - what I read was very informative, but I didn't find an answer to my question. I'm growing out hair that was dyed black. A lot of the black has been cut off, and my hair stylist has given me highlights twice to try to lighten it up. But a lot of black streaks remain, as well as a lot of red from a previous reddish-black dye. My natural color is a light ash brown and I probably have about 2-3 inches of roots now.

If I were to use honey to try to lighten it up, will I need to only apply to the darker areas? Does honey lighten dyed hair more or less effectively than virgin hair? My goal is to stop coloring my hair completely, so right now I'm trying to blend it all together so my ends aren't quite so dark compared to the rest of my hair.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BattahZ View Post
    Hi all,

I've tried to read through this thread but it's incredibly long - what I read was very informative, but I didn't find an answer to my question. I'm growing out hair that was dyed black. A lot of the black has been cut off, and my hair stylist has given me highlights twice to try to lighten it up. But a lot of black streaks remain, as well as a lot of red from a previous reddish-black dye. My natural color is a light ash brown and I probably have about 2-3 inches of roots now.

If I were to use honey to try to lighten it up, will I need to only apply to the darker areas? Does honey lighten dyed hair more or less effectively than virgin hair? My goal is to stop coloring my hair completely, so right now I'm trying to blend it all together so my ends aren't quite so dark compared to the rest of my hair.

Thanks!
    Welcome to LHC and the Honey thread!

I set up the first post as a guide to help those like you coming to the thread for the first time, from being overwhelmed.

Below are some results and recipes on dyed hair, dark dyed hair in particular. Honey lightening can lighten any kind of hair. The results vary with the hair, meaning what is on it, its condition, what dye was used, what honey and water used, etc. There is no simple, exact answer to that question.

Here are some links.
    The first post
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...61&postcount=1

Honey lightening on dark dyed hair - including pictures
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=3341

You may find these results particularly helpful.
    ljkforu - on previously black dyed ends, hennaed hair, with tap water, ground cinnamon and ground cardamom, and the condition of her hair.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=3335

ljkforu - more information on her honey lightening recipe
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=3270

ljkforu - feedback from those around her, in real life
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=3282
    Last edited by ktani; April 2nd, 2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

ktani- This thread is extremely long, so I haven't read all of it. I have read through basic instructions, recipes, and results regarding honey lightening, but I do have a few questions...

My hair has been colored innumerable times! My natural color is medium-dark brown. It tends to go red with sun or color. Most of the dye is semi-permanent and is dark brown or soft black. (I was mainly trying to cover a few grays before "discovering" henna and indigo.) I had the black dye removed (peroxide) professionally a year ago, though I did not go much lighter because I was trying to avoid damage. I recently used henndigo twice. This last time the difference between how it "took" on dyed vs. virgin hair (roots) was very noticeable to me.

How many applications do you think I will need to correct my color? Will it work at all? Can you recommend a recipe? There are pics of my dyed hair in my albums. It looks quite black but it is lighter IRL.

I am tempted to start now with tap water, but I'll try and restrain myself. Thank you!
    January 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    ktani- This thread is extremely long, so I haven't read all of it. I have read through basic instructions, recipes, and results regarding honey lightening, but I do have a few questions...

My hair has been colored innumerable times! My natural color is medium-dark brown. It tends to go red with sun or color. Most of the dye is semi-permanent and is dark brown or soft black. (I was mainly trying to cover a few grays before "discovering" henna and indigo.) I had the black dye removed (peroxide) professionally a year ago, though I did not go much lighter because I was trying to avoid damage. I recently used henndigo twice. This last time the difference between how it "took" on dyed vs. virgin hair (roots) was very noticeable to me.

How many applications do you think I will need to correct my color? Will it work at all? Can you recommend a recipe? There are pics of my dyed hair in my albums. It looks quite black but it is lighter IRL.

I am tempted to start now with tap water, but I'll try and restrain myself. Thank you!
    You do not need to read the whole thread or even half of it. The whole thread is a journey. The first post has the information from the end of the journey, as it is now in terms of information. I update the first post. That is why I keep the date current.

Honey lightening has and can lighten both henna and henndigo but no one can predict how it can work on your hair in terms of predicting how much lightening you can achieve or how many applications it may take to achieve results you want.

So much depends on the honey, water, recipe and method. 2 step henndigo can be very hard to lighten but is has been done.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=3919
    Last edited by ktani; April 2nd, 2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: punctuation

Hey ktani, LONG time no write!

Got a question for you. Is it possible to gel the honey lightening mixture? Like doing a corn starch gel, letting it cool then adding the ready to go honey lightening mix?

Would that kill the peroxide at all?

Cause I wanna do just my roots, but the stuff is such a mess.. I know I can adjust the honey to water ratio and apply to damp hair, but I was just curious if gelling the mix was possible. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ACWN View Post
    Hey ktani, LONG time no write!

Got a question for you. Is it possible to gel the honey lightening mixture? Like doing a corn starch gel, letting it cool then adding the ready to go honey lightening mix?

Would that kill the peroxide at all?

Cause I wanna do just my roots, but the stuff is such a mess.. I know I can adjust the honey to water ratio and apply to damp hair, but I was just curious if gelling the mix was possible. Thanks!
    Always good to hear from you. It is an old question but a good one. I did research it and in my opinion, gelling a honey lightening mix is not a good idea. I think it would deplete whatever peroxide is produced.
    From the first post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2277

Suggestions for doing roots, from the first post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2371

I will always still reply to questions though.
    Last edited by ktani; April 2nd, 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added links and text

Shoot. Kay, thanks!