Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Indigo Thread

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Indigo Thread

Woohoo! Glad to find someone else enjoying the Nupur 9 herbs mix. Aren’t indigo drips the worst? Xanthan gum has been my best work-around so far.

Your hair looks lovely and healthy Nox_Inber, what shine!
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    14/26/26
    Type
    1a/M/i

Nox_Inber awesome hair! Super shiny!

With my last hendigo I tried a new strategy against dripping: I did not wrap my hair with the plastic wrap, but I used a nice showercap I found on amazon. This doesn't have much to do with the dripping, I believe, it was more for a no-waste reason, although I believe that the elastic was tight enough to prevent some of the dripping.
    But most importantly, on the top of the showercap I was wearing a microfiber headband and that changed things a lot!
    Zero problems with step 1 (aka no orange stains on the pillow) and surprise surprise... zero dripping with indigo! Actually the indigo tried to drop as usual, but the headband absorbed the liquid and it didn't make it to my face!

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Thank you so very much everyone All 3 of you have beautiful henndigo heads of hair that inspire me to keep putting the funny smelling mud on my head

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    It looks beautiful Nox! I highly recommend laying down and watching a movie to avoid the dripping when you have indigo in your hair
    I am definitely doing this next time! Less gravity to help the indigo attack force lol

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    Woohoo! Glad to find someone else enjoying the Nupur 9 herbs mix. Aren’t indigo drips the worst? Xanthan gum has been my best work-around so far.

Your hair looks lovely and healthy Nox_Inber, what shine!
    It's really great for the price, I got 3 packets of 120g for $12.78 on Amazon. I don't think it can get any better than that and I didn't get any of the funny feeling dry hair afterwards. I also didn't expect it to wash out so well. How much color deposit did you get from yours? I'm not sure if it was the Amla but mine took more of a deep but subtle coppery brown rather than red or orange. Granted that's not a bad thing because I want black

I can absolutely see why you use the Xanthan Gum now, indigo is either too thick of a paste or it's runny beyond belief. It doesn't seem to have any middle ground lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by gothicshollow View Post

With my last hendigo I tried a new strategy against dripping: I did not wrap my hair with the plastic wrap, but I used a nice showercap I found on amazon. This doesn't have much to do with the dripping, I believe, it was more for a no-waste reason, although I believe that the elastic was tight enough to prevent some of the dripping.
    But most importantly, on the top of the showercap I was wearing a microfiber headband and that changed things a lot!
    Zero problems with step 1 (aka no orange stains on the pillow) and surprise surprise... zero dripping with indigo! Actually the indigo tried to drop as usual, but the headband absorbed the liquid and it didn't make it to my face!
    That was actually one of the moral objections I had, the ton of plastic wrap that went into the garbage afterwards. I haaate throwing plastic away, I feel like I'm committing a crime against nature. That's a really good idea, I tried putting a scarf around my plastic wrap and it helped but it could have been better. Plus it was very thin and not quite thick enough to really absorb the liquidy runoff.

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

oooo I'm totally copying this idea gothicshollow. Even doing herbal hair masks seem to drip like crazy (since I cant seem to nail down a practical consistency of the mixture). I just added some microfiber headbands to my cart on amazon, thanks for the suggestion!

Nox_Inber your hair came out lovely!
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

I use these over plastic caps: https://www.amazon.com/Drying-Towel-...0465535&sr=8-1

Not a single drip. Also methi powder makes it more goopy and less drippy. Didn't have any issues with my overnight henna (though I did sleep on a towel to be extra safe, and the towel caught a line of henna at the base of my neck) and sitting up for two hours during work with the indigo in.

I don't care that they stain around the edge, but I do wish they had them in black.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    14/26/26
    Type
    1a/M/i

Wow I'm glad that my anti-dripping strategy was useful!
    Just for being clear I show you exactly what I bought:
    Showercap
    Microfiber headbands

I bought them on the German Amazon as you can see but I'm pretty sure you can find plenty of similar stuff also in the US, where you can always find everything :'( (sorry, I'm just a bit jealous because there are so many cool things in the US online shops that we cannot ship easily to Europe )

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Showercap
    Microfiber headbands

I bought them on the German Amazon as you can see but I'm pretty sure you can find plenty of similar stuff also in the US, where you can always find everything :'( (sorry, I'm just a bit jealous because there are so many cool things in the US online shops that we cannot ship easily to Europe )
    I totally get what you mean! Shipping anything from outside of EU to Sweden is crazy expensive

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    I use these over plastic caps: https://www.amazon.com/Drying-Towel-...0465535&sr=8-1

Not a single drip. Also methi powder makes it more goopy and less drippy. Didn't have any issues with my overnight henna (though I did sleep on a towel to be extra safe, and the towel caught a line of henna at the base of my neck) and sitting up for two hours during work with the indigo in.

I don't care that they stain around the edge, but I do wish they had them in black.
    omg those are too cute lol. That's pretty dang adorable. And in my book, a perfectly socially acceptable hat to wear at all times.

Showercap
    Microfiber headbands

Awesome, the black microfiber headbands I have in my cart are very similar to those you linked, thank you. I got some new shower caps in black too since my previous two got badly stained.
    Last edited by BerrySara; October 7th, 2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    How much color deposit did you get from yours? I'm not sure if it was the Amla but mine took more of a deep but subtle coppery brown rather than red or orange. Granted that's not a bad thing because I want black
    I get a solid color deposit. It reminds me most closely of the color I’ve gotten from Rajasthani Twilight. I definitely get some brown tint, from the amla and jatamansi, I believe. I’ll have to snap a picture next time of my roots before I’ve done the second indigo step.

Speaking of next time, the absorbent headband is an awesome idea, gothicshollow! I can’t wait to try it out.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    14/26/26
    Type
    1a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I totally get what you mean! Shipping anything from outside of EU to Sweden is crazy expensive
    Aww and I think I saw that Sweden/north Europe has often higher shipping costs also within EU
    My shipping experience improved a lot since when I moved to Germany, that is far more advanced from this point of view compared to Italy, but buying stuff from the US remains a dream :'(

I recently made an infographic about the red shades of henna for my instagram account, and I'm about to make one about the black shades of Indigo It will be similar to the one for henna (I posted it in my LHC blog here).
    The henna one as you can see was about cool tones vs. warm tones. For the indigo one I think I will try to address the pitch black vs. purple/blue tones. Does it sound like an ok idea? I don't see many other variations with indigo (except for the brown, but that will come in a third infographic with blonde/no dye vs. brown).