Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried LUSH for hair?

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Eurydice View Post
    Well, I try to henna just the roots. Realistically, I wind up with goop all over my head. Plus I sleep in it, so either way my whole head winds up with henna on it.

It's hard for me to address the "hard visible line" issue because most of the regrowth where I can see it is grey, so there's going to be a line no matter what LUSH says. Granted, it's not as bad as box dyes, and it does seem to be less visible on the parts of my head that are dark, but you can tell where the greys start. (I tried to get a picture but I couldn't get one to come out right.)
    Thank you, Eurydice! I've used Rainbow, but I'd like to look more into Lush. I'm slow to decide things when it comes to my hair. I've appreciated your reviews.
    Member of the Official Hair Idiots Club

Length
    :(/:(/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I love Lush! There is a Lush store a few doors down from my tattoo/piercing shop. That is my favorite little stretch of storefront in the world.

I have tried several of the shampoos. In general, I find them too harsh. I use Cynthia Sylvia Stout sparingly and infrequently because I love the scent but it's a bit strong. I absolutely love Curly Wurly shampoo except for the chunks of coconut. They usually wash out. If they'd just make that chunk-free, it would be my favorite shampoo ever.

I love the Big Tease gel. I've been using it for the last six months. I get big, curly hair with it. It makes my hair feel slightly coated but it's not a lasting feeling when I wash it. The coating from the conditioner is something else. Yeah, I don't like the conditioners. They're too light, full of sulfates and leave my hair feeling coated (lanolin?) but also dry.

I love the bubble bars and bath bombs. Love Honey I Washed the Kids soap and Dream Cream and Smitten lotions. Love the massage bars. Love Karma Cream. Love Flying Fox and Sonic Death Monkey shower gels. Love the way the entire store as a whole smells. HATE the henna bars. They seem like they'd be so simple but they are messy and ineffective. BAQ henna is much easier to apply and to wash out.
    Lady Chalchihuitlicue of the Flowing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Opinions on LUSH henna vary. I never found them hard to use, and the aren't any more expensive than Catherine's BAQ henna. She sells a good product, but a lot of the stuff she says about her henna and how to use it just isn't always true, so that turns me off. Also, she went out of her way to say untrue things about LUSH henna which struck me as just a bit defensive. I still buy cassia from her though.

LUSH henna will wash out of some people's hair; that's why they say that. And I didn't find the addition of coca butter bad, if anything my hair was better and more moisturized and fuller, in a way that BAQ henna never made my hair. It's nice if you don't want such a super strong undiluted plant powder, which many don't. Celebrian gave a good breakdown of what each color does.

As far as their shampoo, I thought Godiva was nice smelling but, as many of said of their shampoos so super strong. Also their aloe bath bomb gave me the worst allergic reaction. I want to try their lotion bars and some conditioners, but everything seems so expensive. I love the way their store smells, how they display things and their names for everything.

Length
    7/35/50
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I use the Lush caca rouge henna, and get a really nice colour from it. I'm definitely going to give BAQ henna a whirl (after my wedding) but for now I'm happy with the Lush stuff.

I haven't had as much success with their shampoos and conditioners. They make my hair look fantastic for about two weeks, and then it turns into a greasy, brittle mess. Yuck!

The only product of theirs that is working for me is their Big salt shampoo. I use it after I swim and it really gets all the chlorine out (and also makes my hair smell fantastic).
    Lady Guanyin of the Iron Leaf in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a, M, iii. Hip length achieved, Nov 2010! Next goal: 100% natural coloured hair.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianaFineHair View Post
    Thank you, Eurydice! I've used Rainbow, but I'd like to look more into Lush. I'm slow to decide things when it comes to my hair. I've appreciated your reviews.
    No problem - glad to help! I'm doing a henna treatment tonight so I'm going to try AmandaPanda's trick of just melting it.

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I'm really curious about the Daddy-o shampoo. And the sle is on the third place, so maybe it won't be that harsh. As a dark blonde, I love it when a shampoo gives me some highlights.
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I tried Lush shampoos and conditioners for two months and had clean but dry and woody hair throughout! I gave up, which was a shame as others do really well on them, plus I loved the earthy smells of things like Coolaulin, Jungle and Veganese.

Lush Henna? The Henna's are generally raved about on the review sites, obviously with some exceptions. My view is that despite the tedium of melting and mashing the block, as Eurydice says, the work of mixing is already done for you. No agonising over how much Henna, how much Indigo, and whether to add herbs or coffee etc.

In my experience, the Persian Henna Lush uses leads to warm, coppery, cinnamon or autumnal like reds - with greater darkness and richness depending on how often used and how long you leave on. This is of benefit to you if you want to stay in the warmer, more natural red of the spectrum. If you want to head for burgundy red as fast as you can, then I would recommend BAQ Henna (pure Henna) as it is (in my experience) all too easy to get build-up of BAQ unless you slow down on application or start to dilute, or add things like cassia to the mix.

If, having strand tested first, you find the Lush colors to your taste - I reckon they are excellent. Rouge is often a favorite with reviewers, followed by Marron (contains a little indigo to give a darker auburn look). The Brun and the Noir (due to stronger Indigo content) need to be approached with more caution by blonde/bleached/grey haired people as they can give greenish/blueish casts in some cases.

Even so, they can often be used successfully, either by adding a little Rouge for balance and warmth at the time of application, or making sure you leave each mix (still talking Brun/Noir here!) on for a minimum of 4 hours, pref. 6, and overnight if you can stand it. That way, any Henna in these two colors will win out over the Indigo's blue tones, and should get you to a warmer darkness.

Saying that, I know some people are glad of the slight green/ash tone the Brun can give, as it resembles a more neutral brown for hair.

I'm having issues with greys/multi-toned hair at the moment, but frankly, if I return to Henna once that's sorted out - I expect I'll be pulling my Lush blocks out again. Much nicer more believable reds, at least with the Rouge and Marron - and my experience with the Brun was good inasmuch as I got a very natural brown (which I decided was rather boring in the end!).

Sorry, I seem to have written a book here. I just wanted to enter the discussion pro-Lush Henna.

Er, what was the question again?
    Last edited by Celebrian; April 27th, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

It's ok. I just want my longish post (above) to be noticed and appreciated.

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrian View Post
    It's ok. I just want my longish post (above) to be noticed and appreciated.
    Oh, Celebrian, it is very much appreciated!

When I get ready to dive into Lush, I suppose I'll try the Marron. I have very dark brown hair with reddish undertones.

I wonder why it fades for some and not for others. Could it be an additive they are using like vinegar?
    Member of the Official Hair Idiots Club

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BrianaFineHair View Post
    Oh, Celebrian, it is very much appreciated!

When I get ready to dive into Lush, I suppose I'll try the Marron. I have very dark brown hair with reddish undertones.

I wonder why it fades for some and not for others. Could it be an additive they are using like vinegar?
    I don't know why it fades for some - but suspect either over porous hair, which both takes up and then relenquishes color too fast; or possibly faulty application?

If you want the reddest of lights in your hair and you are already fairly dark, you might do what I've read others do, and use the Rouge rather than the Marron for most effect. You'll still look darkish indoors, but will pop more in bright light or sunshine. Just an observation...