Page 4 of 388 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna Thread, take two

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Quick question about Henna and dyed hair...will it become two toned on hair that is dyed from about chin down, yet natural from chin up?
    I have a visible line there from some old hair dye, and would like to cover it by hennaing my hair. Will this work or will it be two toned?

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I'll get the henna article rehosted on here asap, but until then you can see it here. Thanks snowbear!
    You're very welcome!
    The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrostqueen View Post
    Quick question about Henna and dyed hair...will it become two toned on hair that is dyed from about chin down, yet natural from chin up?
    I have a visible line there from some old hair dye, and would like to cover it by hennaing my hair. Will this work or will it be two toned?
    It'll most likely blend. It depends on the difference in colors, though--if the chin down is pitch black and the chin up is blonde, you'll likely still have a line.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    It'll most likely blend. It depends on the difference in colors, though--if the chin down is pitch black and the chin up is blonde, you'll likely still have a line.
    Thank you for your answer. The two colors are ash brown/dirty dishwater and blonde (gold)....I don't think (or am rather hopping) it won't make too much of a line.

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Thank you for your answer. The two colors are ash brown/dirty dishwater and blonde (gold)....I don't think (or am rather hopping) it won't make too much of a line.
    Do some test strands first. You can harvest hair from your brush or comb for this.
    Time them for different times; 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, etc.
    This way there are no surprises.

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

That was pretty much the color of my hair before I hennaed. And I had a clear line at first. Expect to go stubbornly orange over your bleach--if your hair is any thing like mine was. I actually had to tone with the Lush henna indigo mix to get rid of the orange hair. The light brown dark blond roots were very cherry.

It's so irritating that I can't access my journal on the old LHC because then I'd just send you over there. All of my henna experiments are chronicled in detail!

I would, after you know what kind of red you want, think about using cassia and henna on the roots and henna and (a very small) amount of indigo on the bottom, but don't tone with henna and indigo mix until later, you might not have the same problem I did. To be honest, my line was hugely noticeable, and everyone (on the Henna for hair board) said "oh yeah, henna will even it out! You wont' have a line! :snort:" Um, no. Bleached hair takes henna in such a different way anyway. It grabs up the color, and I could not get my gold blond hair to a red color with henna alone; it just kept getting oranger and oranger. So you may need to be patient for a while. I'm really happy with my hair and have been for several months now.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by prosperina View Post
    That was pretty much the color of my hair before I hennaed. And I had a clear line at first. Expect to go stubbornly orange over your bleach--if your hair is any thing like mine was. I actually had to tone with the Lush henna indigo mix to get rid of the orange hair. The light brown dark blond roots were very cherry.

It's so irritating that I can't access my journal on the old LHC because then I'd just send you over there. All of my henna experiments are chronicled in detail!

I would, after you know what kind of red you want, think about using cassia and henna on the roots and henna and (a very small) amount of indigo on the bottom, but don't tone with henna and indigo mix until later, you might not have the same problem I did. To be honest, my line was hugely noticeable, and everyone (on the Henna for hair board) said "oh yeah, henna will even it out! You wont' have a line! :snort:" Um, no. Bleached hair takes henna in such a different way anyway. It grabs up the color, and I could not get my gold blond hair to a red color with henna alone; it just kept getting oranger and oranger. So you may need to be patient for a while. I'm really happy with my hair and have been for several months now.
    Wow, thank you so much for the information. I will really do a lot of strand tests to see if I can play with the coloring. If not, oh well, I'll have to wait until it all grows out. *sighs* Even if it will take a while...long while.

Thank you for your help. I'm sorry I can't read about your experiments.

Length
    Pit/Pit/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I dread doing my roots. What I've been doing is using a hair coloring bottle and trying to get at all the roots. But I always miss some.
    I bought a tint brush from Sally's, so I'll use it next time. Can anyone offer any tips on how I can get all the roots covered with relative ease?

edited to fix typing error.
    Last edited by MadHatter; March 11th, 2008 at 02:45 PM.

Length
    pixie/hip/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I did a two step henna and indigo yesterday because my first experience with one step henndigo was bright orangey red and I didnt really like it.
    Yesterday, I was short on time (does anyone really have enough time to do this in one day!?) and also short on henna and indigo. I made up my henna the night before, with lemon juice, water, and cloves, and a bit of coconut oil and put it on the next morning for about 4 hours. I made up my indigo just before I rinsed out the henna, with more cloves, and some jojoba to thin it out because I had even less than I thought, and I endedup leaving it in for only about an hour before I had to leave.
    The result is a deep red that does NOT turn orange in the sun (exept in spots that didnt get covered enough) and I love it I have a terrible line of demarcation about 2-3 inches from the roots where Ive dyed it black for years, so its still black and the roots are deep burgandy. I love the fact that I figured out how to get a dark red without that lovely day glo orange! Now I have to go buy more henna!

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default My Henna Experiment Gone Weird But OK

Without LHC, I went ahead and mixed up my own henna mix using 100g Henna,1/2 cup Amla Oil and 1/2 cup ACV. OMG, my hair was so dry. It also turned my damaged previously highlighted (the re-dyed brown and faded) hair into an orangey color. I deliberately left the front side section of my hair un-hennaed, and could definately see a difference in the dryness of my hair.
    HOWEVER - after a coulple of days, the orange color changed into a less brighter orange which blended quite nicely in. It looks as if I have hilights. I can also tell that my hair is thicker where the henna took, it is also shinier, but still dry and seems more prone to split ends.
    Next time, I will follow instructions - but overall it wasn't a major disaster. Will try again in a couple of days.
    A photo(excuse the split ends!)
    1st Goal: BSL - By Oct 2010
    2nd Goal: Waist Length - By June 2011