Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Flour "Shampoo" Washing Method

Lagging behind life MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Rye Flour "Shampoo" Washing Method

I'm giving cornstarch shampoo a go tonight for various reasons; my hair isn't quite *oily*-oily but it will be in the morning if I don't do anything, but my scalp has had more than enough dry cornstarch on it for the week and I don't have the energy to do a full wash tonight. I'm hoping because it'll just be spraying the cornstarch mic onto dry hair and rinsing out that I can get away with just one conditioning on my lengths, and that it looks okay tomorrow. Will report back!

Oh, I never addressed your question about dry scalp being a problem. Dehydrated scalp is an issue I have to manage but with a decent routine it isn't a problem as such. Knowing that if all else fails I can address it with conditioner if I'm less careful than usual means I don't worry about it, but I do enjoy not having flaky skin around my hairline! (My face does the same thing - oily but prone to the surface layer dehydrating, but it's a lot easier to keep clean and moisturised than the scalp.)
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

I don’t think I cold ever do that, I feel like my scalp would go mad since I have a scalp condition similar to sebhoreic dermatitis just with no flakes.has anyone used natural Clay masks to help with oiliness?

Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Updating: I used ~4tsp cornflour in ~200ml miracle water. I tried spraying it but my fingers were having none of it and quite frankly I was never going to get my roots damp that way, so I sort of dribbled it over my scalp. Rubbed my scalp for a bit, but possibly not long enough because damp and dry hairs were sticking to each other and my fingers and I ended up losing some in the end I just rinsed it all and used one conditioner on the lengths to be done with it.

Results: the top of my head looked reasonably clean, but the hair stayed in position just like when it's very oily. The sides of my head looked no bettee than before, and the rest of my scalp hair felt just as oily. I did like the fact there was no cornflour left from using it as dry shampoo before, but I could have just rinsed it for that. However, the fact the top of my head looked clean makes me think there is something in this method, and there might be a way it could work for me if I'm inclined to find it.

If I try it again I'll probably use an applicator bottle, or a different type of spray bottle might make enough of a difference. I'd probably up the proportion of cornflour so I can thoroughly wet the roots without it running everywhere, and it might have a chance to work better. Or ... I could mix up enough to fill a container large enough to dunk my head, and I could massage my scalp whilst *in* the mixture, like when I wet my roots for a scalp wash. It may not happen for a while though - fatigue is a beast and the entire reason my head was full of cornflour in the first place

Crazylazy34 I haven't, but I'm sure there are threads in the 'Herbal recipes / Henna' section of the forum if you search

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Musicalspoons, since I started putting my cornstarch mix into a spray bottle, I wouldn't even try doing it another way. It allows me to get the mixture on the parts that need it. I would try that next time.

I cornstarch shampoo'd my hair today and conditioned the ends. I am happy with the results and very pleased that my curls are coming back ( i used non-sulphate shampoo last week which made my hair wavy and fuzzy again ).

My hair is much drier overall if I oil, use no-sulphate shampoo and conditioner than if I don't oil, use cornstarch shampoo and conditioner. Now I know.
    BSL -> MBL -> WL (almost) -> Hip->TBL!

Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Yes, I did use a spray bottle initially, but reading it back I didn't make that at all clear it's an old leave-in spray bottle which used to be fine but takes ages to actually dampen any hair, plus with muscle problems my hands/fingers disagree with it. I needed the mixture all over my scalp and I wasn't getting anywhere! But maybe a spray bottle designed to dispense more at once might be better

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I have 5 spray bottles in my house, and seem to collect them- one for every kind of spray I need! Maybe just buy a better one than suffer in slow silence?

I'm so bleek, my hair is still oily even after my last big cornstarch wash. I don't know why it isn't taking the oil out this time. Could it be that I am now dechlorinating my water?

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

How funny; I just watched few a German YouTube Videos on using rhye flour shampoo this morning. I think it's a little trendy in Germany among the all natural beauty types right now. One person mixed ACV right in with the ground rhye flour mixture.

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by elfynity View Post
    I have 5 spray bottles in my house, and seem to collect them- one for every kind of spray I need! Maybe just buy a better one than suffer in slow silence?

I'm so bleek, my hair is still oily even after my last big cornstarch wash. I don't know why it isn't taking the oil out this time. Could it be that I am now dechlorinating my water?
    I am very pleased to say that the oiliness didn't last long, I woke up the next morning with non oily hair that had lots of body. I am very sure that the lack of chlorine in my water now is stopping my hair from being stripped as much as it used to be, which is very good news because I want the natural oils to stay in my hair, but be able to control it to some extent with the cornstarch. So for anyone who is interested, a quarter teaspoon of sodium ascorbate, or ascrobic acid (just plain old vit c) will neatralise chlorinated water and break up chloramine - and the chlorine will be forced to evaporate. I thought that it was the hot water that made me ill when i got out the bath, but now I don't feel ill anymore since I have been dechlorinating!

i am getting paid tomorrow, so i am hoping I can go buy my conditioner for my ends! They are always dry! That's my update!
    Last edited by elfynity; November 19th, 2018 at 01:41 PM.

Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I am very pleased to say that the oiliness didn't last long, I woke up the next morning with non oily hair that had lots of body. I am very sure that the lack of chlorine in my water now is stopping my hair from being stripped as much as it used to be, which is very good news because I want the natural oils to stay in my hair, but be able to control it to some extent with the cornstarch. So for anyone who is interested, a quarter teaspoon of sodium ascorbate, or ascrobic acid (just plain old vit c) will neatralise chlorinated water and break up chloramine - and the chlorine will be forced to evaporate. I thought that it was the hot water that made me ill when i got out the bath, but now I don't feel ill anymore since I have been dechlorinating!

i am getting paid tomorrow, so i am hoping I can go buy my conditioner for my ends! They are always dry! That's my update!
    Re: spray bottles, yes if it's something I still intend to pursue after upcoming changes in circumstances I will definitely look into a different spray bottle. It used to be fine; I even used it without huge problems a few months ago, but my body is oh so fickle nowadays

That's so interesting that dechlorinating your water has made such a difference! I'm pleased it works so well for you. Ours is chloraminated and a shower filter works to some extent, but adding ascorbic acid into a jug of water releases the ammonia so I can tell it's definitely working then by the smell *wrinkles nose*

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post

That's so interesting that dechlorinating your water has made such a difference! I'm pleased it works so well for you. Ours is chloraminated and a shower filter works to some extent, but adding ascorbic acid into a jug of water releases the ammonia so I can tell it's definitely working then by the smell *wrinkles nose*
    So interesting, I haven't smelt that ammonia smell yet, but our water doesn't have a high chlorination content in it. Apparantly the worst chlorination passing into your body comes in through the steam from a shower. apparantly hundreds of times worse than submerging in a bath - so very glad that you have the shower filter!

Totally addicted to Vampire diaries, watched 2 seasons in like a week! Elena, is that hair really all hers - probably not.