Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever shaven their head before?

Length
    SDL/APL/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Anyone ever shaven their head before?

Quote Originally Posted by icallitbliss View Post
    I shaved my head (well, buzzed, really) in January of 2011. This is what it looked like:

And then this what it looked like mid-May 2011.

Honestly, if you have never had short hair before, I think you should just cut to a pixie instead. It can be quite a shock. Although I've had pixie cuts plenty of times in my life, and I was STILL in awe of my new buzzed look. It's an adjustment, definitely.

And well, my whole family hated it. You will get weird looks for awhile. People thought I was either a cancer patient or a lesbian. I didn't let that get me down! My husband loved long hair, but he helped me with the clippers, and he was hesitant and was like, "Are you sure you want to do this?" I did it because, like you, I wanted all of the dye and damage gone.

I'd say it took me a good 5 to 6 months before it started looking like a true pixie. After that I grew out for a few more months, and cut it into a shorter pixie which is what I'm currently growing out now.

All in all, it was DEFINITELY worth it for me. I could have gone the route most people go and just grew out my roots and had a stripe, but I wanted that nasty hair OFF. It feels SOOOO good to just run your hands through it and feel practically nothing. For the first few months, you hardly even have to shampoo it, unless you want to. When it started to get longer, I noticed I felt like I had the kind of hair I had when I was 11 years old. It was amazing.

Yes, you will have a lot of awkward stages growing it out, and it may be miserable, but I'd rather have healthy hair over long damaged hair any day! It's an experience, for sure.

Your first photo is probably how short mine will be. The shortest I've had my hair it was a short A-line kind of cut. The back pieces were like 2-3 inches long and the front pieces reached my chin.

I want to do something daring with my hair, and buzzing it will be a win-win situation. My hair grows in healthier and I've done something I've always wanted to do. I'm just afraid my head won't be shaped for it and I'll look weird. LOL.

And what did you do with your hair when it was in the awkward stages, did you hide it, accessorize it, or what? O:

Length
    SDL/APL/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by melissa8989 View Post
    me! I just did it about a week ago, to get rid of the dye. been dyeing it for 8 years so it's nice to see it again. Im enjoying it.
    It looks wonderful!! I'm excited to, hopefully, get mine done!

My mom isn't too keen on the idea though.

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by iSuperHeroic View Post
    Your first photo is probably how short mine will be. The shortest I've had my hair it was a short A-line kind of cut. The back pieces were like 2-3 inches long and the front pieces reached my chin.

I want to do something daring with my hair, and buzzing it will be a win-win situation. My hair grows in healthier and I've done something I've always wanted to do. I'm just afraid my head won't be shaped for it and I'll look weird. LOL.

And what did you do with your hair when it was in the awkward stages, did you hide it, accessorize it, or what? O:

It's definitely daring, and you WILL get healthier hair. Honestly, I thought I would look absolutely atrocious with a buzz cut, and was afraid my head/facial features wasn't suited for it, but soon figured out that most anybody can pull it off. All it takes is confidence, really, to rock it.

Well, the first few months after you buzz it, you won't have much hair to deal with. The second picture I showed you there, I was just able to SORT of fit a clip onto my hair. It kinda fell out though. Same with bobby pins. So for a few months, you basically can't do anything with it. I just let it be. I'd wear the hood on my sweatshirt up sometimes, or occasionally a scarf. Maybe a hat or two. But mostly I just let it be.

After 6 months or so you'll most likely have enough growth to use the head bands (even if it's just to PLACE it on top of your head...it still looks cute!), as well as bobby pins/clips. You WILL start to get into mullet territory, and you can either grow that out and deal with it as it comes, or just trim the back every two months. It will take a lot longer to grow out that way, but it's better than having really bizarre hair. Though, some people enjoy that, and some can even pull that off, so I say more power to 'em!

It's funny, cause I've thought a few times about dyeing my hair again, and then thought NO! That would mean I shaved my head for nothing, and I'd destroy all my hard work! So...that's my incentive for keeping my virgin hair. It works.

Length
    12 in/28 in/50 in
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Wow, looking at these pictures I never imagined how fast hair will grow after it has been shaven. I personally wouldn't shave it, but grow it out with constant trims. I go to a hair salon and they put a clear glaze over my hair to strengthened it. I understand your feelings but just make sure it is something that you really want to do.

Length
    SDL/APL/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by cmdinoto View Post
    Wow, looking at these pictures I never imagined how fast hair will grow after it has been shaven. I personally wouldn't shave it, but grow it out with constant trims. I go to a hair salon and they put a clear glaze over my hair to strengthened it. I understand your feelings but just make sure it is something that you really want to do.
    This is something I've wanted to do for years now. I'm not saying I'm old and wise, because I'm far from it, but I've really thought about it and I don't want to let society's definition of beautiful effect me anymore. (:

Length
    CL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I have always thought it would be awesome to shave my head... I don't know why everybody freaked out so bad when Brittney Spears did it like she was totally psycho or something. That being said I would never have the guts to actually do it. It seems like a good solution when you are trying to get rid of damage or grow out old color but I think it's too radical a change - for me. If you have thought about it for a while and you know this isn't just a whim I think you should do it! And post pictures!
    🧡 CL ~ CBL ~ SH ~ APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL 🧡

Length
    SDL/APL/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by kellinaturalmom View Post
    I have always thought it would be awesome to shave my head... I don't know why everybody freaked out so bad when Brittney Spears did it like she was totally psycho or something. That being said I would never have the guts to actually do it. It seems like a good solution when you are trying to get rid of damage or grow out old color but I think it's too radical a change - for me. If you have thought about it for a while and you know this isn't just a whim I think you should do it! And post pictures!
    I'll definitely post photos!!

Length
    10.5/23.3/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by iSuperHeroic View Post
    Hello!
    Okay so, my hair has been dyed and bleached more times than I can count. (And I'm only a teen) I've recently found out that fine hair gets damaged easier than other hair types: My hair is extremely fine. I wouldn't say my hair is dying, fried or really damaged but I want to start completely anew. Making sure my hair isn't overprocessed anymore.
    So, if my parents agree, I want to shave my head. Right now my hair is barely at shoulder length.
    Anyone have tips for shaven heads? What is it like?
    What did other people say? How did you deal with what people said?
    How long did it take your hair to grow back?

(I'm also taking Multi-vitamins and 5000Mcg of Biotin daily.)
    If possible, how can I tell how fast my hair grows?

Thanks. And if I posted this in the wrong place, tell me and I'll take it down immediately.
    When I was turning 13 I shaved my hair. I would never recommend it to anyone. It grew to a supershort pixie in 5 months, but those 5 months felt like forever. Not to mention, every single piece of dandruff will show. I was mistaken for a boy several times.

Last year I was faced with having to cut out all my damaged hair. I grew it for 8 months (so it was 4.5 inches of regrowth) and then I cut it off so that the strands were 6 inches long. But I did it in stages. If I were you, I would have cut it into a bob, then either maintained or cut to pixie if I felt comfortable with that choice, but having it shaved was not good for my self-esteem when I was a teenager, and as a young adult woman it would not be a good step now either.

I have not regreted cutting the damage out, but I have regretted shaving. It does take patience to grow damaged hair out, but I really do believe it is worth it.

As for measuring hair growth, I suggest measuring once a month (there are threads telling how to measure accuriately) or once every 2 weeks. Managing Hair Growth Data thread by Shastrix devised a great chart to calculate your hair growth and I really recommend it.

Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to the LHC
    Lady Finnula of the Celtic Cross in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Shaved-BSL-Sldr- BSL-Blunt Bob-BSL(23.5) - Goal 1: MidBack - Goal 2: Waist- Goal 3: Classic - Goal 4:Who Knows?!

Length
    26/30.2/44
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

I have, I was in high school. It was not a good time to be doing such things. Children can be horrid. I wouldn't do it again, but if you have self confidence then go for it. I have no photos of that time it was really bad for me.
    Kitsu <3 LadyDessuithiel Sorceress of Kitsuke
    ~ BSL ~MID BACK~ WAIST ~TAIL BONE~ CLASSIC ~ BEYOND~
    Hip by November 2012 Challenge!

Last edited by hairgoals; April 3rd, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: ..........