Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your experience with aloe vera.

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: Your experience with aloe vera.

After my shower, before my braid, I have been putting this on my ends just to see how it goes. Well... I find that I wake up with more defined waves, but it makes my hair a little crunchy so I don't think I"ll be putting it in my hair except as a smoother of fly-aways and such.

However, my dermatologist put me on topicals that dry out my skin and told me I need to use a lotion on my face, but every lotion I have ever put on my face makes me brake out. The aloe vera gel, on the other hand is perfect for this! I can put it on my dry skin and not break out! So I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Aloe gel is something we keep around all the time period. It's a good lotion for my partner's psoriasis, it's good for after shaving irritation on my skin and it's good if I manage to get sunburned.

Aloe gel is something of a humectant, which means it works as a moisturizer by absorbing moisture from the air and then making it available to your hair and/or skin. Glycerin and a lot of other ingredients work the same way. This means it isn't a great choice in a dry climate, or if you use it in a dry climate you may need to engage in trickery to make sure the air around you is moist enough that the product is beneficial.

WI is not usually the world's most humid place, so I tend to use aloe gel right before or after a hot bath. Our bathroom is pretty small, so it's easy to get it nice and humid. I also tend to apply it to hair or skin that is dripping wet. That way, it works fairly well.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I'm very allegic ot Aloe Vera, it absolutely can not contact my skin or I;ll break out a painful rash. I wonder if there are any alternatives too it.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

For me - great in SMT, horrible as a gel.

Length
    TWA/BSL/Wl
    Type
    3c/F/M/iii

My hair type is thick and curly, 4a. I like mixing it with leave in conditioner, for shiny hair, styling and frizz reducing.

Length
    ~24"/30"/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I decided to purchase Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera and used it for the first time last night. I was VERY surprised at how soft ans shiny it made my hair! I was not expecting that at all. I can't wait to try it with oil and in a SMT.

The AO one I purchased is labeled as gel but it doesn't have any one those icky thickeners, so it is really just a liquid but I love how it works and I am assuming the thickeners in other aloe vera brands give some people problems with crunchiness but I could be wrong...

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet_Heart View Post
    After my shower, before my braid, I have been putting this on my ends just to see how it goes. Well... I find that I wake up with more defined waves, but it makes my hair a little crunchy so I don't think I"ll be putting it in my hair except as a smoother of fly-aways and such.

However, my dermatologist put me on topicals that dry out my skin and told me I need to use a lotion on my face, but every lotion I have ever put on my face makes me brake out. The aloe vera gel, on the other hand is perfect for this! I can put it on my dry skin and not break out! So I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.
    Very good to know especially concerning the breaking out. I'll try this for the summer then, but it is a little intimidating and I'm afraid I'll break out. I'm not afraid of putting monistat on my head but I'm afraid of this? Ha.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Length
    APL/APL/BSL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I love Aloe Gel. I use it all. the. time. for EVERYTHING. It's great for my sensitive skin, calming ezcema, after shaving. I put it on my hair before braids to make more braid waves, I put it over top of head to calm flyaways and growing hairs that stick out. It always makes my hair soft. I even make my own spray toner for my face with aloeveragel and witch hazel. You can eat aloe gel (food grade), it calms and soothes irritated stomach linings. I'm planning on growing my aloe patch to supply myself for cheaper. I buy this kind it's the most natural and organic I've found. I LOVE this stuff. If I could only take one item with me to a deserted island (for hair and body ) it would be this stuff. Oh and I always say that aloe gel is my secret for aging. I put it on my face every single day and it keeps me moisturized and keeps the wrinkles away. Between Aloe and coconut oil, I'm covered!
    Last edited by marimara; May 13th, 2011 at 09:22 AM.

Length
    APL/21"/35"
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I'm really learning to love my AVG. It's humid around Dallas, so I'm covered as far as air-moisture is concerned. It helps develop my curls and keep them. I never knew it could be so effective in hair styling on its own!
    You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. ~ C.S. Lewis

My Hair Blog~Wurly Wavelengths and My Google+ Profile

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

My hair likes it, it remains soft and shiny, no residue, no crunchiness, no stickiness. I use it after every wash, as a leave-in.