Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Locks of Love - Pressure from Strangers

Length
    short/short/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Re: Locks of Love - Pressure from Strangers

I read that LoL often throws most hair away, so they'd actually prefer a check in most cases.
    I'm really puzzled as to why donating your hair is better than giving money Sometimes I get the feeling people only donate because it's "trendy". Also it's probably mostly people who aren't donating anything themselves.
    Silly people

::Slice of Sunshine Pie:: adiapalic's Avatar
    Length
    33.5"/48"/?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Recently I responded to someone with the LoL suggestion, "You should grow yours out and donate it." Next maybe I'll try out the kidney one... and if they remark how important that is for their health, then I'll suggest they donate their car.
    Lady Siduri, Keeper of the Ever-Blooming Garden in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request

I've had the LoL chat a few times. I think (some) people wrongfully assume that people grow to cut. I am not that person.

The first person who asked me if I grew to donate, I just reacted out of shock and dismay (purposefully) and shared how horrible and evil I thought LoL is and recommended a better non-profit that does the same, but for women who actually have cancer (Pantene Beautiful Lengths)

The next person, I was a bit more confident and shared about the LoL misconceptions.

The last more recently, I shared that I'm donating my entire body upon my death. Organs and everything...I figure where I'm going, I won't need it AND if I can improve someone else's standard of living who is still here; that is the most selfless thing I can do as a human. This is my opinion and I'd rather give the gift of life than vanity. I mean, yeah a wig will make someone feel better about themselves, but a organ will extend their life...In the big scheme of things which is more important?

If people really, really want to cut to donate that is their business, just like organ donation is mine...If the old dude is so set on cutting to donate then why doesn't he do it?! I'm being facetious, here

If I were you; he'd have one more time to say a peep about me donating my hair. I would not bring it up, but if he did, I would report him! His behavior and conversation is inappropriate. If he is saying these things to you no telling what he is saying to other people...Just because you are a senior does not give you license to say whatever you want. I know many seniors who think they can.

Good luck with this!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've only gotten that suggestion one time, and I replied "I'm going to keep my hair." That was the end of it. I think that Pacific NWers are pretty good about keeping their noses out of of other people's business, which is a good thing in these situations, a bad thing when you're trying to find somebody to stand with you in reporting child abuse. No one wants to get involved.

I think you should just be blunt and tell your truth. Obviously these people aren't shielding your feelings, so why should you shield theirs?

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Report him to his supervisor. When a person is at work, he isn't supposed to be soliciting business for other companies, nor is he supposed to be rude to clients.
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD. Psalm 36:6

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_coffee View Post
    I would probably nod and say "Mmmhm, I'll think about that." That's how I used to respond when people offered me parenting advice I didn't want.

If they kept badgering me I'd tell them no flat out, but I usually try to diffuse the situation first. It's really annoying when people keep trying to shove unsolicited advice down your throat.

This is the route I usually take. My standard response regarding any cutting of my hair is...maybe one day but not today. You could just shut him up with a hearty HELL NO!! I'm not cutting my hair!!
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I'm sorry you're getting such pressure from all sides, that really sucks.

I'm a wimp, so I'd probably lie and say I keep my hair for religious reasons, or if all else had failed, wear my hair in a faux bob around him. On the hope that you've got more guts than me, a very firm 'no' should (in theory...) work. Good luck.

Length
    28/28/52
    Type
    4a/4b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by adiapalic View Post
    Recently I responded to someone with the LoL suggestion, "You should grow yours out and donate it."
    This gave me a really big laugh. It is a brilliant response, and really quite appropriate. If they value donating hair so much, why not donate their own?
    Quote Originally Posted by adiapalic View Post
    Next maybe I'll try out the kidney one... and if they remark how important that is for their health, then I'll suggest they donate their car.
    Any response involving the nosey parker donating their own body parts or possessions is a great response. Such a response silences the person and maybe gives them food for thought.

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/iii

If someone came up and told me "You should donate your hair to Locks of Love!". I think I'd come back with, "You should sell your house, car, and jewelry, and donate the proceeds along with the entire contents of your bank account to starving children in Africa! And while you're at it you should probably donate that spare kidney of yours and some bone marrow."
    Lady Sha'abi of the Ringing Coins in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Why haven't you reported him to who ever is in charge of the after school program? They should be aware that he is being rude and inappropriate to you. You have told him no once and it wasn't enough to make him shut his mouth. The people who run the place should know that he is bothering you with his comments. I'd tell him one more time using some of the more strongly worded replies here and if he doesn't cease with the comments I'd be screaming about it to those in charge. Being in his 60s does not excuse such behavior.

I am not here to decorate your world