Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Long hair in literature

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Long hair in literature

There is the part in The Silmarillion where Luthien causes her hair to grow long and make her guards fall under a sleep.

Length
    clssc/clssc/clssc
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Alice in Wonderland:

"Your hair wants cutting," said the Hatter. He had been looking at Alice for some time with great curiosity, and this was his first speech.

"You should learn not to make personal remarks," Alice said with some severity; "it's very rude."
    - Kleis

[Insert something clever] BrightEyes7's Avatar
    Length
    APL/BSL/Done
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Ok... This "Anne of Green Gables". I've never heard of it in my life. And now it has been in two threads today. This one and the red-head predjudice thread. Maybe I should look into this....

This one may get tomatoes thrown at me for mentioning.... but in the Twilight books, Bella has hair long thick dark hair. I always imagined it WAY longer than what they show in the movies.

Also there is this book, a really good book, called "A Yellow Raft In Blue Water" by Michael Dorris. It's a random title (really doesn't have much to do with the book, although my crazy English teacher thought differently) but it's about a Native American family. It's told in three parts, from the perspective of three different generations. First the daughter, then the mother, then the grandmother. They mention hair a lot in the book. They talk about the long sleek Native American hair, and they mention it being braided.
    Straightened.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BrightEyes7 View Post
    Ok... This "Anne of Green Gables". I've never heard of it in my life. And now it has been in two threads today. This one and the red-head predjudice thread. Maybe I should look into this....
    D'oh! You must watch them. I love the movies Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea! They are wonderful. But I have not read the books, which are beloved by many.

Length
    21/26/32
    Type
    1c/F/i

Historical fiction author Margaret George describes hair beautifully in her books. In "The Autobiography of King Henry VIII" he notices his wives beautiful heads of hair. He loves the thick golden red hair of some of his wives (Katherine of Aragon's turned "muddy" with time, but still retained the colour of her youth at the ends), and Anne Boleyn's hair is shiny and black as a raven's wing. In "Mary, Queen of Scots" she talks about her long gorgeous auburn hair.

Along with everyone else, I also recommend Anne of Green Gables. Fantastic series!
    Last edited by Knotted; March 31st, 2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Random comma!

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BrightEyes7 View Post
    Also there is this book, a really good book, called "A Yellow Raft In Blue Water" by Michael Dorris. It's a random title (really doesn't have much to do with the book, although my crazy English teacher thought differently) but it's about a Native American family. It's told in three parts, from the perspective of three different generations. First the daughter, then the mother, then the grandmother. They mention hair a lot in the book. They talk about the long sleek Native American hair, and they mention it being braided.
    Yellow Raft in Blue Water is so heartbreaking but so well written. The protagonist grows her hair long to hide her face scars from her mother's emotional/mental breakdown. *shudder*
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    28.5/39/45
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Oh this thread makes me happy. Remember that poem from English class about the man who strangles his lover with her own hair? Hair is such a striking part of a person. For some reason it brings to mind that scene in Catching Fire when President Snow's granddaughter is wearing her hair in a braid and she tells her grandfather she is trying to look like Katnis. Who knew hair could make a man boil inside!

Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Martha Wells Il-Rien series has men with long hair, with braids and wild manes. It's very nice. She's an awesome author.
    * ~ * Let it grow...Let it grow...Let it grow...*~*

re growing after drastic cuts...

I notice that long hair seems quite common in fantasy books in general, but all the direct examples I can think of have been mentioned here already! D'oh.

Length
    shldr/tbl?/ftl?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolphin View Post
    There is the part in The Silmarillion where Luthien causes her hair to grow long and make her guards fall under a sleep.
    This! She also makes it grow long enough to make a rope and escape her prison, makes herself a cloak/disguise with it, and apparently it was amazingly beautiful, long and black.
    Lady Ambrella of the Jewel-Strewn Beaches in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights