Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Silk bonnets: Natural or Synthetic?

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Silk bonnets: Natural or Synthetic?

I use polyester satin and have no problems with static or being too hot. I have both a bonnet and pillowcase. Love them! Super inexpensive, long lasting, and easy to wash.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Lady Marina...Dweller, Explorer, and Protector of the Mermaid World
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    Bald/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Writing this comment just so that SandyBottom's will show.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc

Length
    BSL/WAIST/HIP
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SandyBottom View Post
    I use polyester satin and have no problems with static or being too hot. I have both a bonnet and pillowcase. Love them! Super inexpensive, long lasting, and easy to wash.
    I've got a pillowcase with a 100% silk satin front, but the rest is in cotton. It was still really expensive, and it seems so fancy I have been afraid to use it!

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shayna View Post
    I've got a pillowcase with a 100% silk satin front, but the rest is in cotton. It was still really expensive, and it seems so fancy I have been afraid to use it!
    Sort of an "all dressed up and nowhere to go" situation You've already spent the money so might as well get some use out of it so it doesn't go to waste. Go for it! Sleep in blissful luxury!

Length
    BSL/WAIST/HIP
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SandyBottom View Post
    Sort of an "all dressed up and nowhere to go" situation You've already spent the money so might as well get some use out of it so it doesn't go to waste. Go for it! Sleep in blissful luxury!
    Would you believe your post actually did motivate me to put the silk pillowcase on my pillow! Thanks, SandyBottom!

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shayna View Post
    Would you believe your post actually did motivate me to put the silk pillowcase on my pillow! Thanks, SandyBottom!
    Anytime, my friend!

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UncommonTart View Post
    Eh, I've been doing it for twenty five years and it's worked fine, so I'm satisfied. There's a big difference between thin delicate silk and heavier weight silk. I do a lot of textile work, so I'm pretty well acquainted with different types of detergent and laundering delicate fabrics.
    Ok, this is interesting. I have been thinking for ages if I should get a silk bonnet. But been wondering if washing it would be too cumbersome.
    I can't imagine using synthetic material as my hair is VERY prone to static, and I hate feeling warm on my head when sleeping. Even the insides of my pillow is made from natural material.

So, if getting a silk bonnet, it should be from sturdy good quality silk in order to not disintegrate so easily from washing it in the machine?

Or, perhaps I should have two bonnets. Washing one by hand, and using the other one while the first one dries.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Angiesoto View Post
    I’ve been thinking about silk bonnets, and I understand why you wonder about natural versus synthetic. I lean towards natural silk. It feels so luxurious and helps keep my hair smooth and frizz-free.
    Plus, it’s breathable, which is great for overnight wear. I’ve noticed that my hair feels softer and healthier after using it.Synthetic options can be tempting because they’re often cheaper but don’t have the same feel or benefits. They might work in a pinch but can trap heat and moisture, which isn’t ideal for my hair. In my experience, investing in a good-quality silk bonnet makes all the difference. You might want to check out this silk bonnet I found; it’s super comfy and worth every penny!

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

^ So I am still wondering, do you wash your bonnet by hand? And how often does it need to be washed?

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/43"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I personally think natural silk feels a bit more cooling and breathable than synthetic, but they're both good for protecting hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    ^ So I am still wondering, do you wash your bonnet by hand? And how often does it need to be washed?
    I've always hand-washed any natural silk products I've had. Using a gentle detergent and cool water about as often as I wash my pillowcases/sheets, then ironing on a very low setting is how I've always done it.