Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From trimmer to non-trimmer: is it possible?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: From trimmer to non-trimmer: is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Before joining i always had my hair cut once a year but i had much larger amounts cut off sometimes up to 5 inches due to the damage.

Now that i take much better care of my hair i haven't trimmed in 18 months and my taper has slowly been growing down with no noticeable damage.
    I could almost have written this except I think the largest amount I had off was 6 inches, and after I did no-trimming for however many months (21 I think?) I'm planning to trim probably every 6 months for a little while until my hemline is a bit thicker

My hair is pretty much always bunned so actual damage to the ends is minimal - but there is some thinning as they get ever longer and older, and I am going for length over health still, for now.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

luluj, I'm glad this thread was helpful for you! Re: your question about why we trim, for me it's always wanting to improve my hair in this or that way. I am the type of person who gets incredibly bothered if something is "wrong", like if my nails are too long I feel physically uneasy and constantly aware of them being too long. I feel like no-trim challenge threads are actually somewhat counterproductive for me, since the focus on not trimming is actually making me focus on my ends instead of forgetting about it. LHC is counterproductive as well, actually, but I like it too much

Btw, if you want to, you can friend me (if you do lhc friends), and we can hold eachother accountable

____

Thank you all for your comments & experiences !

Seems like the consensus is - you'll never know if you don't try, and that sometimes our hair behaves completely different than what we expect of it. I decided to just leave it alone until something is up with the ends or hemline, and see where it gets me.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Before joining here I was also a regular trimmer too. But afterwards I was able to join and handle the, "No Trimming Challenge," quite well. Surprisingly my ends are at it healthiest it has ever been before joining LHC. Before I joined her I would take big chops, and cut off 2 inches every month, and I wasn't gaining or retaining any length at all. But now since I only do microtrims twice a year I have gained more length that I ever had in my whole entire life. When I joined LHC I was at chin length, and now I 2 inches below WL, and I never that my hair could ever grow that long. My goal is either classic or mid-thigh length. Because, right now at this point I feel that's what I can handle. I don't think that I can handle anything longer than that.

So, I think it's possible to go from a trimmer to a non-trimmer.

Length
    None/HL/FL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I usually go six months in between trims, but I’ve gone 7-8 months max, as well. As long as no major mistreatment to the hair is going on, the ends should remain healthy. I’m aiming to get down to once yearly trims or no trims at all by treating my hair like emerald encrusted silk. Last trim was February. No trimming until next year at least.

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCelestina View Post
    Wow, that's a huge increase in thickness! Congrats!

See, that's where my problem is. I admire people who patiently grow out dye or taper for years so, so much. Unfortunately, if there's something I don't like about my hair, I will think about cutting it - I have joined no trim challenges before, but I almost always failed (save for the 6m one), because there was alway *something* in my hair that I wanted to get rid off. Now there's nothing, I'm wholly satisfied with it, and want to take advantage of that. Except I'm worried that I'll end up with taper or unevennes which I'll want to cut off in the end (Oh god, typing it out makes it sound so silly me searching for problems when there aren't any yet)

What stopped me to trim my hair is lhc-itis in the first place . plus: I hate how I look with short hair. I hate the puffiness and the fake volume that comes with strands sticking up.
    now I don't know if I should call it ii/iii. my hair compresses so much in a braid or an updo, it seems back to a normal braid or bun.even if I hold my hair for 5 mins. in a braid or bun, it compresses. I can't make those loose buns because my buns get loose in 5 mins. not that loose to fall appart though, but loose enough not to give me a headache. my hair is so slippery I can't make a super tight braid. my braids are tight for the today's trends (even was told "your hair looks like you are prepared to wash your face" - whatever that means anyway) but they are not as tight as to cause traction alopecia. in 10 mins. I experience braid shred and looseness so it looks again like a normal braid.
    so I think I have thick or close to actual thick hair but but it shreds and loosens so it doesn't look and feel thick.
    do you, lhc, consider a 9 cm (3.54 inch) pony circ. to be ii/iii?
    Well I don't have [volume on the] crown because I'm not a queen.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCelestina View Post
    luluj, I'm glad this thread was helpful for you! Re: your question about why we trim, for me it's always wanting to improve my hair in this or that way. I am the type of person who gets incredibly bothered if something is "wrong", like if my nails are too long I feel physically uneasy and constantly aware of them being too long. I feel like no-trim challenge threads are actually somewhat counterproductive for me, since the focus on not trimming is actually making me focus on my ends instead of forgetting about it. LHC is counterproductive as well, actually, but I like it too much

Btw, if you want to, you can friend me (if you do lhc friends), and we can hold eachother accountable

____

Thank you all for your comments & experiences !

Seems like the consensus is - you'll never know if you don't try, and that sometimes our hair behaves completely different than what we expect of it. I decided to just leave it alone until something is up with the ends or hemline, and see where it gets me.
    It really is helpful for me, LadyCelestina. Thank-you, once again...and you are welcome.

I know what it is like to try and not focus on trimming. It's all I ever think about, when it comes to my hair, thus being a member since 2009 and back at 18 inches. TLHC is the best, so much support and encouragement, it helps me to stay focused, as long as I keep coming here and posting. Life happens quite often and I am not able to be involved on a regular basis. I need to be involved in order to grow longer.

I like it here too much, just like you. Maybe this time is the charm.

Being accountable works for me, thank-you for your support, it is greatly appreciated.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I went North for the weekend to be with family for Mother's Day, it was a lovely weekend. The thing is this, one of my family members had just had her hair cut and the style was so pretty, it looked beautiful on her.

This can be a trigger for my compulsive trimming self. Not this time, though. I am committed and focused on getting to APL. Besides, my ends are in great shape and I have been wearing my hair up much more. It is nice to reach for one of my beauties and find that they are now working for my length once again.

It's all good.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by luluj View Post
    I went North for the weekend to be with family for Mother's Day, it was a lovely weekend. The thing is this, one of my family members had just had her hair cut and the style was so pretty, it looked beautiful on her.

This can be a trigger for my compulsive trimming self. Not this time, though. I am committed and focused on getting to APL. Besides, my ends are in great shape and I have been wearing my hair up much more. It is nice to reach for one of my beauties and find that they are now working for my length once again.

It's all good.
    VERY glad to hear it, your hair is so beautiful and I would hate to see it all cut short!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    2a/C/iii

I stopped trimming maybe 15 years ago. One needs to get used to the look of "fairy-tale ends". It is not a common appearance, but there is no reason not to like it.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    VERY glad to hear it, your hair is so beautiful and I would hate to see it all cut short!
    Thank-you, Sarah, you are a a gem.

Your post has encouraged and inspired me even more.