Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting - Anybody Here? Hair experiences?

Length
    Chin/MBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting - Anybody Here? Hair experiences?

I did IF for two years around 2015 (5:2, sometimes 16:8 or even OMAD) and never experienced excessive hairloss. At the time I was bleaching my hair to death and didn't focus on length, so I can't comment on hair growth .

I'm going to do IF again though, starting today. I liked the results I got from it and hope for a little bit more energy and mental clarity (which I achieved last time).
    > Growing since 01-01-2018 <
    ChL - NL - SL- CBL- APL - MBL- BSL - WL - HL - BCL - TBL - CL

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting - Anybody Here? Hair experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    I started IF a few days ago and was also wondering if that affected hair growth/hair loss. If there is a special IF thread I would gladly join!
    There is one, but I can't find it.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Bob/MBL/WL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

From personal experience:

Keto = great for hair growth,

Fasting = caused major hair loss and reduced the quality of hair still growing

Granted, I was not eating nearly enough when I was fasting but I suspect that anymore than a 48 hour fast is going to put you in that zone. Basically, your hair is an extra so if you're not meeting your metabolic needs then your hair will suffer, it won't get any resources. I agree with Ylva, shorter fasts may be the way to go.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedBackson View Post
    From personal experience:

Keto = great for hair growth,

Fasting = caused major hair loss and reduced the quality of hair still growing

Granted, I was not eating nearly enough when I was fasting but I suspect that anymore than a 48 hour fast is going to put you in that zone. Basically, your hair is an extra so if you're not meeting your metabolic needs then your hair will suffer, it won't get any resources. I agree with Ylva, shorter fasts may be the way to go.
    Ok, thank you. I will just do IF, then. And try Keto.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I've just ventured into the keto thing only mine is low histamine as well. It's all to do with better way to manage my long Covid symptoms. Up until December I was vegetarian because of Covid taste bud problems. Meat (usually chicken) tasted bad but my full taste came back just before the holidays. What's surprised me is how quick there was a change. My muscle fatigue and tremors are going down. That screwed up head and tummy feeling is a bit reduced as well. There's less pain from my swollen lymph nodes too. I am hoping with more time there'll be more progress. I don't know if this is something I have to keep on doing for a long time or just a month or a few months. I also now take high dose vitamin D instead of my regular vitamin D dose. I also have some antihistamine herbal infusions. I used that before this illness to deal with hayfever. Cooking has been fun. I keep it simple so that I don't use up all my precious energy cooking. It's a good thing that I've always like vegetables.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

If you've ever battled with an eating disorder, IF is strongly not recommended for you. That's all I have to say on the matter.
    Just trying to get by

I have been trying intermittent fasting for about a month now and I haven’t noticed any difference in my hair. I mainly stick to 16:8. I did fast for 18 hours once. I don’t do keto but I am trying to cut back on sugar as well. I also take a multi vitamin.

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I can't really understand the fasting thing.
    I mean my method: not eating before 8:00 and after 20:00 works good for me. I lost 10 kg in a year.
    many times I wake up at 10:00 and eat my first meal at noon or 13:00, then 2 or 3 meals until 20:00. I can't eat too much at once either. onbe big home made sanswich is enough for 3 hours or more, while before I started my method I ate 2 big home made sandwiches.
    sleep helps me to fast, while stress, nervousness, being active definitely makes me hungry and I eat more than I should. I just feel too hungry when I'm active.
    I drink a lot of tea and water during my fasting hours on daily basis though.
    Well I don't have [volume on the] crown because I'm not a queen.

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by leayellena View Post
    I can't really understand the fasting thing.
    I mean my method: not eating before 8:00 and after 20:00 works good for me. I lost 10 kg in a year.
    many times I wake up at 10:00 and eat my first meal at noon or 13:00, then 2 or 3 meals until 20:00. I can't eat too much at once either. onbe big home made sanswich is enough for 3 hours or more, while before I started my method I ate 2 big home made sandwiches.
    sleep helps me to fast, while stress, nervousness, being active definitely makes me hungry and I eat more than I should. I just feel too hungry when I'm active.
    I drink a lot of tea and water during my fasting hours on daily basis though.
    I'm currently not eating too early because it takes me awhile to get up from bed. Meals fall between 11.30am to 7pm though there are a few days it's been later. I'm more after the low histamine keto thing than fasting.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    16/32.5/50
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I was Keto for 4 years with IF during the last 2 at least. Didn't seem to affect my hair, but it wasn't very long at that point. Then 2020 hit and I was sick of feeling deprived and went back to eating LOADS of BAD carbs. All my weight came back, my cough came back (not good in a Covid environment!). After a year I realised that my bad eating was making me sick, weight gain, my rosacea was bad and, as I said, I had a constant cough.
    So, December 20 I started to convert back to keto, finally done with all things bad by the end of 2020 and eating moderate protein, very little carbs, and cooking in butter and lard. My cough has stopped, unfortunately my rosacea is still acting up and I hope I'm losing weight (I lost over 30kg last time) but my scales are broken so I don't know.
    Through all this my hair just grew the regular 1/2 inch a month. The only time I lost any thickness was when I cut my fringe myself, managing to cut more then intended! So the thickness is really still there....just shorter in spots! (bah humbug)