Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Flour "Shampoo" Washing Method

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Rye Flour "Shampoo" Washing Method

Quote Originally Posted by Hairkay View Post
    I have been happy using oats at times so I have never experimented with other grains and pulses. I have been wondering what the airport authorities would do if I was to travel with some colloidal oats and tell them its for my hair.
    You would have to tell them it is for your breakfast otherwise they might think you have gone nuts. If I tell someone i wash my hair with WO, they freak out, if I say I occasionally use cornstarch shampoo ... the disbelief is quiet classic.
    BSL -> MBL -> WL (almost) -> Hip->TBL!

Lagging behind life MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by elfynity View Post
    Hey Musicalspoons, I spray the cornflour shampoo onto my hair wet, rub my scalp and hair a bit with it in then rinse it out with water. My water is probably more on the soft side.

Perhaps consider using a very mild dose so as to not dry out your scalp too much? There's no reason why you also couldn't put some Lavender EO into the shampoo for more moisture and repair. What is the rest of your hair like moisture wise?
    Thanks for that. Our water is very hard so has a tendency to dry out my skin and scalp anyway, but I could try it with miracle water.

The rest of my hair is moisturised enough - I double-condition and use ROO each full wash. Once a week (-ish) I'll condition scalp to tip, let it sit for 1hr+, shampoo scalp, ROO my entire length from ear/nape down, then condition from nape down. If I do another full wash in a week, I'll WCC with ROO between the conditioners. EDIT: I use a shower filter which makes the water a bit kinder to skin and scalp. /EDIT

I used to regularly use dry cornflour as a dry shampoo, and as fatigue has been worse lately I've gone back to it. My problem, especially last winter, was that it was drying for my scalp (probably to my hair as well but I didn't really notice!) but now I know how to effectively moisturise my scalp, it shouldn't be a problem. I do like the idea of adding EOs anyway, though!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

MusicalSpoons, is ROO - shampoo, oil and then conditioner?

I have the opposite issue, normal to oily scalp and dry ends. I am sure my water is more on the soft side.

Lagging behind life MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by elfynity View Post
    MusicalSpoons, is ROO - shampoo, oil and then conditioner?

I have the opposite issue, normal to oily scalp and dry ends. I am sure my water is more on the soft side.
    ROO is an oil rinse after washing, so for people who shampoo and condition, yes it's between the S & C. In its most basic definition, it's an oil rinse after washing - whatever form that washing takes.

My scalp is oily, hence wanting to stretch washes with cornflour I perhaps should have said it dehydrated my scalp - cornflour as dry shampoo does a bizarre mix of absorbing the oil as well as making my skin 'dry' and flaky, yet to use it two days in a row requires a ridiculous amount of it because the scalp just keeps pumping the oil out hence being very interested in perhaps using it as wet shampoo ETA for scalp washing, to maybe even stretch shampoo washes if possible.
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; September 30th, 2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    ROO is an oil rinse after washing, so for people who shampoo and condition, yes it's between the S & C. In its most basic definition, it's an oil rinse after washing - whatever form that washing takes.

My scalp is oily, hence wanting to stretch washes with cornflour I perhaps should have said it dehydrated my scalp - cornflour as dry shampoo does a bizarre mix of absorbing the oil as well as making my skin 'dry' and flaky, yet to use it two days in a row requires a ridiculous amount of it because the scalp just keeps pumping the oil out hence being very interested in perhaps using it as wet shampoo ETA for scalp washing, to maybe even stretch shampoo washes if possible.
    Thanks for clearing that up!

I have found that it is quite amazing that flour mixed with water is a much more powerful grease remover than just in it's dry form. You may be very surprised when you use it (if you haven't already).

For me I have the same issue, if I keep using dry shampoo, my hair is just as bad or worse the next day. It's almost like the oil goes back into your hair overnight. Definitly give it a try though and let us know the outcome. And hopefully your scalp decides to play nice, or you can figure something out with that that will work for you. I take it dry scalp is an issue besides just the dry shampoo?

Type
    1b/M/ii

Hello all, I've been watching this thread with interest! I have tried oatmeal (ground at home, not colloidal ) and liked it but for the bits left in my hair and it never really touched the dried, waxy sebum build up on my scalp. I don't wash often and I'm growing my hair out, so oily hair is less of a problem for me at the moment. I just washed with arrowroot powder mixed with water (similar to cornstarch ) and it worked nicely on the hair, removing excess oil, but again, didn't touch my scalp. I now know that sesame oil massaged into my scalp does a wonderful job removing excess dry sebum, but I keep looking for a thing that will do both. I'm hoping that rye flour will, but I wanted to check to see if any of you had scalp build up and how you deal with it.

Length
    12.5/28/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I think I may give this a try!

Type
    1b/M/ii

So, I experimented with chickpea flour yesterday. I oil massaged my scalp and preened the night before so there was plenty of oil on my hair. In the morning after my walk I took 2 tbls of chickpea flour and mixed in some water. It took a while to mix all the lumps in, but I eventually got there. As I put the paste into my hair the water became less noticeable and it got a little crumbly. I got it all on my hair (all 4 inches of it) and tried to even scrub my scalp a bit without making too much of a mess. The paste really didn't smell good at all!! I didn't let it rest for very long, maybe 5-8 minutes while I hopped in the shower and cleaned the rest of me. Then I started to rinse out the flour.... wow did it take a long time to rinse out!! I finally got it all out and rinsed with a little citric acid water, timely dried then air dried the rest of the way. My scalp feels great!! No build up, plenty of air getting to it. My hair is like I used sulfate shampoo! It is light and fluffy, no oil (and hardly any sebum) on any of it, and an unruly mop since I'm growing it out and trying not to cut it.
    Things learned:
    -put more water in the paste than you think, the hair will soak it up.
    -put essential oils in it to make it smell better.
    -rinse it out head down or better yet start in a bucket, finish in the shower.
    -definitely finish with an acid rinse.

I have no idea how you actual long hairs do this, but it did work for me and I will continue to use it so when I get long hair again it won't be a shock.

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flittingsis View Post

I have no idea how you actual long hairs do this, but it did work for me and I will continue to use it so when I get long hair again it won't be a shock.
    Hi Flittingsis, I usually put 2 teaspoons of cornstarch flour into 250ml of water in a spray bottle and then use only maybe a 3rd of that and only on my roots - my hair is thinner than yours though so takes less to clean for me. i just stand in the shower and spray it on. I very often use EOs. My favourites being lavender (for moisturising), ylang ylang (just because) and peppermint (for a zesty minty smell - my fav!) Just 1 or 2 drops into this mix.

Once the mixture is in, I rub my scalp to clean it, then rinse it all off under the shower.

I never have extra flour in my hair, and cornstarch in my opinion has no smell, I don't know about chickpea - but I usually add EOs anyway.

My hair also lands up being very clean afterward, and incredibly manageable. It cleans so much nicer than sulphates. I love how your hair still retains it's texture and thickness, sulphates would just strip everything, flour shampoo for me just takes the dirt and excess oils off.

I'm so glad you gave it a good go. Perhaps get a spray bottle? It is much easier to apply. I am sure your next go at this is going to be alot better!

Length
    APL/28.5"/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I recently shampood my hair with organic shampoo and conditioner. I do feel like my routine is still evolving. My hair is so clean and has lost it's curls and weight. I feel that what I have been doing wrong is oiling my hair and leaving the oil in. Even a little bit of oil makes my hair very oily. So, I am now going to cornstach wash my roots, condition wash my ends for at least a month, and then at the end of the month i will do a thorough oiling and wash it off with organic shampoo.

If I did not oil my hair, I could definitly continue with cornstarch shampoo indefinitly - which I literally have been doing for 6 months. However, I really do feel I need to do at least a monthly oiling and cornstarch just doesn't take enough oil out of my hair.

It has been fun having super clean hair for 2 weeks, and now I am eager to get back to that natural feeling again.