Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bun Instructions & Troubleshooting

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Bun Instructions & Troubleshooting

Yay guys! I did it and it's a dream! It's rock solid and doesn't pull! Thank you guys for tips and for the video, Silverbleed! What I was doing wrong is that I sort of didn't make the 2nd loop close enough to the 1st & didn't 'spread' the loops once securing it with a stick.

Unfortunately it doesn't look very pretty on me It's like a sort of a knobby blob of frizz I need a bit more practice to make it look nice.

Length
    18''/29"/33"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Just chiming in here for fine, straight-haired people. I could not do any sort of bun without a ponytail holder until at least BSL, at which point I could literally only do a cinnabun held by Amish pins or maybe a 4-pronged hair fork once I got closer to waist. I could not understand why people loved the lazy wrap bun and the Gibralter bun and all those other buns, because I could NOT get them to stay, definitely not with only one hair stick.

Well, once I hit hip, suddenly everything started magically working! It was amazing! Now all I live in are LWBs and Gibralter buns!

So it can really depend on your hair type. I will definitely recommend trying the Disc bun - it held well in my hair much sooner than many other buns did.
    ☼ Men are that they might have joy. ☼

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

For the people who don't have enough length: have you tried doing sectioned versions of buns? Split your hair in half, put one half into a LWB or your bun of choice, then wrap the other half around the base of the bun and pin. This might give you more options.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Katia_k View Post
    I'm loving the idea of written instructions especially. I have non-functioning eyeballs and it's really hard to find text tutorials. I got some great ones from folks here a few months ago, but I feel like having a big thread with text and videos for all would be pretty great.

I'm also in a huge rut with styles right now and trapped in a cinnabun/braid vortex, so amping up my arsenal would be super fun.
    It's almost like we need a spreadsheet...

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thanks to this thread, I just "unlocked" another level of bunning. Yay for the sectioned LWB! I have too non-compacting of hair to pull off most stuff until I gain way more length, but I can do a cinnabun with my 3p OTHM, and I'm sitting here with my sectioned LWB and a simple homemade stick.
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I have a question about buns, hoping this is the right thread to ask. I understand buns are a protective style but I have a lot of broken hairs around my parameter from wearing a ponytail in the same place with a hair tie. I didn't know this was causing damage to my hair, until i looked up what was the cause of all my breakage.. ARGH.. anyway out went the hair ties and now i'm trying to do buns, with sticks and hopefully a flexi-8 when i get the right size for a bun. I have thin hair, my question is, if i wear the same bun every day, like i did with my ponytail, will i get the same damage, breakage around the parameter of my hair line. I have been babying it along as best i can but i do not want to cause similar damage by doing the same thing.

Length
    CBL/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Borgessa View Post
    I have a question about buns, hoping this is the right thread to ask. I understand buns are a protective style but I have a lot of broken hairs around my parameter from wearing a ponytail in the same place with a hair tie. I didn't know this was causing damage to my hair, until i looked up what was the cause of all my breakage.. ARGH.. anyway out went the hair ties and now i'm trying to do buns, with sticks and hopefully a flexi-8 when i get the right size for a bun. I have thin hair, my question is, if i wear the same bun every day, like i did with my ponytail, will i get the same damage, breakage around the parameter of my hair line. I have been babying it along as best i can but i do not want to cause similar damage by doing the same thing.
    I used to get the ponytail breakage you refer to. I had a whole layer of broken hairs right where my hair tie would be (that was like 10 years ago).
    I often go long periods of time doing mostly one hair style (lately have been doing the cinnabun) and have not noticed any breakage from "hair friendly" things like hair sticks, forks, claw clips, etc. They are SO much more gentle on the hair than hair ties and I don't think you need to worry about breakage with them, even wearing the same style all the time. Just make sure the style you choose isn't too tight or uncomfortable, of course.

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    I used to get the ponytail breakage you refer to. I had a whole layer of broken hairs right where my hair tie would be (that was like 10 years ago).
    I often go long periods of time doing mostly one hair style (lately have been doing the cinnabun) and have not noticed any breakage from "hair friendly" things like hair sticks, forks, claw clips, etc. They are SO much more gentle on the hair than hair ties and I don't think you need to worry about breakage with them, even wearing the same style all the time. Just make sure the style you choose isn't too tight or uncomfortable, of course.
    That's good to know, ty Llama, i have serious hair envy looking at your gorgeous locks and that flexi

Length
    Chin/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Subbing, I need some bun-spiration, trying to break out of the knot bun rut. Managed to get a nautilus to stay up today, sure I have a hairtie at the base, a spin pin and 2 claw clips, but hey, its actually staying! I'll stick to that for this week. Any suggestions for next week's bun?? No twisty-coily ones, my hair is so compact when twisted I can't get anything through it, and if I try to loosen the twist it goes saggy. Wraps and knots are all good though, usually...
    March '19
    (APL) >>> (BSL) >>> (WL) >>> (HL​​​​) >>> (BCL) >>> (TBL)

Length
    CBL/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Borgessa View Post
    That's good to know, ty Llama, i have serious hair envy looking at your gorgeous locks and that flexi

Thank you! Flexis are awesome