Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: surprising changes as hair grows longer

Length
    Waist/Clasc/?
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Re: surprising changes as hair grows longer

For me it is rediscovery of weight while gaining length this time around as I have had long thin hair a few times in adulthood--it was practically weightless even beyond tailbone-and nothing like long thick hair I had as a teen. I am still a long way away from there but even this thickness at this length is 'new' for me and I am relishing it. The surprising challenge came last couple of times while washing--now getting to the scalp through the hair has become difficult and for the first time I understand what my mother used to complain about when she used to wash my hair. Ah this is not really about long hair but more hair.

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

I love threads like this! The practical day-to-day aspects of long hair are always what interest me the most. Is that weird?

I'm getting to the length (BCL+) where I MUST have it up while sleeping. I forgot last night, until I was too tired to braid it, and ended up wearing a figure 8 bun with a slippery knitting needle all night, which meant it slipped out several times and got a bit tangled. I didn't expect my hair to ever aspire to the legendary grabbiness and hunger of some of the ladies on here (whose hair can eat small children and all manner of unsuspecting office supplies), but when I stood up from the couch just now my hair decided to take a throw pillow with it.

And that's a milestone, so here I am to post about it.
    Current length: 17”(ish)—Collarbone. Will be buzzing it short around New Year’s 2018. Ultimate goal: still Terminal.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Not exactly surprising but anyway...combing and brushing knee length hair takes a bit of doing..because I like to do it in one swipe only. However, I've found a few stragems that worked, so I'm a happy camper.

Length
    19.5/29.50/32
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I have heard about knots appearing at the ends caused by sheds that tangle with the still attached hair. I have never had to deal with this until recently when my hair hit waist. And splits, I didn't even know what one looked like. The surprise with long hair is the ease of care. No styling is needed now that my hair has past BSL. I just finger comb and put my hair is a pony tail or bun.
    Last edited by MaryRose; August 3rd, 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Dapples & Greys, Pintos & Bays, all the Pretty Little Horses...

(Pixie---Chin---Shoulder---APL---BSL---WL---Hip---TBL)

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Laughing at the hair picking up the pillow.
    I still don't have split ends. However fairy knots drive me crazy.
    Madora, want to share your stratagems?
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    BCL/CL+/WTF
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MaryRose View Post
    I have heard about knots appearing at the ends caused by sheds that tangle with the still attached hair.
    ha, i had forgotten how bad this gets when my hair gets long enough! I'll think i'm combing out a simple tangle and this massive hairball comes out that was causing the tangle (this is especially true since i'm washing my hair less than i used to). And shower sheds look insane...i've always been a heavy shedder so i assume it's not more hair, just longer hair that makes it look like a rat drowned in my shower as opposed to the drowned mouse i used to find.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hele View Post
    ha, i had forgotten how bad this gets when my hair gets long enough! I'll think i'm combing out a simple tangle and this massive hairball comes out that was causing the tangle (this is especially true since i'm washing my hair less than i used to). And shower sheds look insane...i've always been a heavy shedder so i assume it's not more hair, just longer hair that makes it look like a rat drowned in my shower as opposed to the drowned mouse i used to find.
    Goodness, yes! I get one of those every other day! I'm kind of used to it now, but it didn't happen in shorter hair... it's amazing to produce a tangled hair ball out of hair when you are combing.

Length
    18/37/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I have heard about knots appearing at the ends caused by sheds that tangle with the still attached hair. I have never had to deal with this until recently when my hair hit waist. And splits, I didn't even know what one looked like. The surprise with long hair is the ease of care. No styling is needed now that my hair has past BSL. I just finger comb and put my hair is a pony tail or bun.
    This has happened to me a few times! It was quite a surprise.

I may or may not have swished my head back and forth a few times, thinking "I have one hair at knee length!"

Collarbone --> Hip --> ??

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

I have heard about knots appearing at the ends caused by sheds that tangle with the still attached hair.
    THIS. This is entirely new to me and driving me CRAZY.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Double post.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.