Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hair When Swimming

Length
    14/36/60
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair When Swimming

I'm gonna be swimming in the ocean this summer, at least for one week on a vacation (I'm very sensitive for cold water so won't swim when I'm home, too cold!). This thread has lots of good advice!
    I'll stick to pre-soaking and oiling and braiding it before I jump in :P Thanks for the tips!

Vanity is stopping me from using my lovely pink swim cap when on vacation - since I haven't had my hair in contact with either pool or ocean-water for.. three years or so I think it can do me this favour and have me look as fabulous as I get for one week! It kinda owes me that!
    Last edited by redtuss; June 3rd, 2014 at 02:03 AM.
    Happily growing my way to as far as it goes!

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

bumping because I have been worrying about the chlorine in my hair. Currently I wash once a week {sometimes every 2 weeks } so the thought of washing my hair every time I take my daughter to the pool is horrifying to me. She is a poor swimmer and wants me to get in the pool with her. My hair is about tailbone and usually only gets cut once a year. I expect to spend an inordinate amount of time in the sun and in chlorinated water. If she had her way daily. I am trying to limit it to 3 times a week. Our apartment is right next to the pool so other than my hair there is no reason to not be there all summer long.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by evb View Post
    bumping because I have been worrying about the chlorine in my hair. Currently I wash once a week {sometimes every 2 weeks } so the thought of washing my hair every time I take my daughter to the pool is horrifying to me. She is a poor swimmer and wants me to get in the pool with her. My hair is about tailbone and usually only gets cut once a year. I expect to spend an inordinate amount of time in the sun and in chlorinated water. If she had her way daily. I am trying to limit it to 3 times a week. Our apartment is right next to the pool so other than my hair there is no reason to not be there all summer long.
    When I was a lifeguard I'd CO with a conditioner containing Disodium/Tetrasodium EDTA on days that I wouldn't otherwise wash my hair. It got the chlorine out without drying out my hair.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Are there any (better) preferred shampoo/conditioners for after swimming? Last year I used the Ultra Swim shampoo and conditioner towards the end of the swimming season.
    I usually use shampoo bars, or cheap suave or VO5 (I'm settling into a nice rotation) but I know that's going to change starting next week.
    I would not be against getting a more expressive or different shampoo if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
    Are there any (better) preferred shampoo/conditioners for after swimming? Last year I used the Ultra Swim shampoo and conditioner towards the end of the swimming season.
    I usually use shampoo bars, or cheap suave or VO5 (I'm settling into a nice rotation) but I know that's going to change starting next week.
    I would not be against getting a more expressive or different shampoo if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations.
    Ion makes a sulfate-free swimmer's S&C. http://www.sallybeauty.com/swimmers-...efault,pd.html

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Larki View Post
    Ion makes a sulfate-free swimmer's S&C. http://www.sallybeauty.com/swimmers-...efault,pd.html

Thanks!

Length
    18/31/48
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Does anyone know the effects of a peroxide pool? Our pool isn't chlorinated, we use a peroxide cleaner.

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Are people worried about chlorine swimming in public pools or personal ones? I usually swim in my parents pool and it is chlorinated, but you don't even smell the chlorine. Not at all like a public pool. In previous years I've never worried about it, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be wearing a swim cap or washing my hair right after or something.