Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trims every 6-8 weeks

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i

Default Re: Trims every 6-8 weeks

[QUOTE=Browneyedbelle9;2633517]

Late last year I went without a trim once, panicked came back in, she said if you put it off any longer, we'll have to cut more off.

[QUOTE]

$75 for a trim every 8 weeks is highway robbery. I'm sorry but you are being brainwashed by this woman! I despise when hair stylists do this. This above quote sounds like she's manipulating you. Threatening that "we'll HAVE to trim more off if you don't come in every 8 weeks on the dot". It's a scam!

I advocate for self-trimming. Buy a nice pair of scissors for as little as $20 and use Feye's self trim method. It's really straight forward. I have been self-trimming for a year and my hair has never looked better.

If you absolutely do not want to self-trim, go to a men's barber and ask for a trim. It will cost $10-20.
    Chin....Shoulder....Collarbone....APL....BSL....WL

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

[QUOTE=Liz_park;2633854][QUOTE=Browneyedbelle9;2633517]

Late last year I went without a trim once, panicked came back in, she said if you put it off any longer, we'll have to cut more off.

If you absolutely do not want to self-trim, go to a men's barber and ask for a trim. It will cost $10-20.
    I totally did that and it turned out lovely! I'm so going back... after I hit waist (a year and a half later from the first trim).

ETA: I know, pix or it didn't happen. Here was last year's barber shop trim (April). I know that I can make it without trimming another 6 to nine months from now past my waist length goal easily.
    Last edited by Wildcat Diva; February 3rd, 2014 at 09:38 AM.

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Can you self trim? I do every 8 weeks trims but i do them at home.
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

Absolutely agree 100% with everyone else who says trim it yourself. You can get a nice pair of hair cutting scissors for half the price of one of your visits to the salon. Even if you don't feel comfortable doing a full trim yourself you can do regular S&D and only get a professional trim like twice a year.

I really like this method for trimming my hair, but there are others out there as well: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I go every 8 weeks but only because it's a fun outing that my daughter, granddaughter, and I do together as girls' day out in support of daughter's best friend, the hair stylist. When I was actively growing my hair, I'd ask her to only snip off the longest, driest ends, and that's what she did. I'd also have a conditioning treatment instead of a trim every few appointments.

Now I wear it shorter and layered, so it usually needs the re-shaping by 8 weeks.

It's very easy to trim your own hair. If no layers, divide down the middle in the back, keep your usual part in the front if you always part it in the same place or down the middle if you don't, comb each side smoothly and evenly forward to put together into a ponytail just under your chin. Comb the ponytail straight down and close a book over it. Keep the book level and slide it down toward the ends. Cut straight across the ends protruding from the bottom of the book. You could also use your fingers instead of a book, but I find the book easier. I have a child's small, hard-paged book that I used when I was doing self-trims.

I never could make Feye's method work; I always ended up with a pronounced slant of the ends from left to right - every single time.

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

You need Feye's self trimming method. It's basically a fool proof method to get any hemline you want, if you want layers you can also look up the compact cut method.
    BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

I also advise self-trim. As you can see from responses, most people who try it are happy with the results. It really isn't as big a deal as it sounds like. I know I was really nervous about it the first time, but it's really easy.

is a daily washer :D nobeltonya's Avatar
    Length
    10"/36.5"/48"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I trim about every 2 weeks, but that's a bit excessive.. I'm just OCD about it. XD But I've also been able to trim my own hair for the last 3.5 years or so, since waist. But the cost of frequently going to the hairdresser [my hair grows pretty fast] was one of the biggest reasons I decided to stop going and just let my hair grow in the first place. I started at shoulder, and for the first few years, only trimmed once or twice a year.. then when I started doing it myself, the length b/w trims slowly decreased. But because of that, my ends are always healthy.

I have been considering cutting up to waist lately :O It is currently just above TB, b/c I keep trimming it...
    2a/b / M/C / ii. Low porosity.

Type
    1b/M/C/ii

If you are looking to grow your hair fast, then such frequent trimming will only cut off the new growth. One step forward, two steps backward.

I self trim every 6 months and my hair is fine. Self trimming gives you lots of control, does not cost you $75 every time, and you will not have to listen to that women patronize you.
    2011- Braidwaves 2013 - Purple ends - trimmed 17in 2014

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

If you're finding that many splits and damage after skipping one trim, it would probably be better to figure out how to lessen any damage rather than trimming more. For instance, are you using a flat iron when you straighten? If you are, and have been doing it weekly, that's definitely going to cause some damage and may be the reason for the splits you see. In other words, the trims are removing the damaged ends, but if you don't lessen the damage you may not be able to lessen the frequency of your trims. You really shouldn't have to trim that often, or if you do, remove just a very small amount (1/8-1/4"). It's much easier to control how much comes off if you trim it yourself, and it's not hard to do at all.
    Last edited by jeanniet; February 3rd, 2014 at 05:18 PM.