Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling "old" with long-ish hair :/

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Feeling "old" with long-ish hair :/

I don't think long hair makes you look old. I'm 65 and have very long hair (for my age) and have never felt it made me old.

I think your frustration about being unable to do much with your hair right now is skewing your outlook of "young" vs. "old" hairstyles.

Have you tried the lace twist crown braid for shorter hair? Here's a lovely tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You might also look into the Gibson Tuck, French Twist and Sock bun (if you haven't tried them already).

I would strongly caution you against layering your hair, if you're planning to grow it long in order to create updos. Updos with layered hair are much harder to do because the layered ends tend to stick up just where you don't want them to show.

However, if you feel happier with shorter hair, go for it.

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

You don't look old at all. I would say, don't cut your hair until you're sure you really want it.

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

i always think that it amkes me look younger too, which i like ofcourse
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    From your avatar you look like your 16! Seriously.
    Telling a 31 year old they look 16 can be an insult. Seriously. Please consider this before making statements like this.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I often get mistaken for being younger than 42 and long hair makes most people look younger. I feel more me with long hair and it suits my personality as I am young at heart anyway.

I see all ages with long hair and have never really considered it to be for young people only. Now with short hair, i do look my age more!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post
    Telling a 31 year old they look 16 can be an insult. Seriously. Please consider this before making statements like this.
    I rather think it's possible for anyone to be insulted by anything.

My 28 year old DH got carded when he went to play tennis to make sure he was over 18. He was kind of bemused by it, but I could see how that would be insulting. However, in this instance it was clearly meant as a compliment.

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

For myself, my hair is long enough that it doesn't map onto either older or younger...although I suspect that my silvers would be more obvious in a short cut.

There are two factors at work here...not just length, but condition (including color/perming). There is hair out there that just looks like "trying too hard"...and can make someone in their 20s look like they are on the shady side of 40, and someone in their 40s look like "umm yeah trying for 25 doesn't work when you are twice that".

Better to have a length and style that you can be comfortable with, which often reads as younger, and certainly as more secure in who you are.

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Don't buy into the notion that you have to take all of your hair into an updo all at once. That is a recipe for frustration. Dividing your hair into sections before dressing it results in softer and more interesting results that don't age you.

Here are seversl ideas. For cute and casual take a horseshoe shaped part in your bang area and create a quiff either dead center or to one side. Let all the hair from that quiff lay to one side. Gently part the rest of your hair in two and create loose side braids. Yes, one braid will have more hair than the other.

This one can be as casual or polished as you want it to be. You are creating a bun fauxhawx here. Seperate out that bang section again bundle it up out of the way. Starting at about your temples, section of the next bit from front to back and put it into a ponytail. Then take the rest of your hair into a ponytail. Starting with that bottom ponytail, make a messy bun and pin it into place. Do the same with the ponytail above and secure it so that both buns integrate visually. Let down the bang area and create a quiff, securing however you like. Take the leftover length and make a messy bun of that. Let pieces around you face fall out naturally or pull a few out if you want.

To make that faux hawx more polished, turn each ponytail into a smooth, rolled chignon stacked closely together. The bang area can be a roll or a very smooth quiff with the ends arranged into a dry pincurl.

You need to learn how to handle your hair at each length as it grows out. Otherwise you will get to your goal without enough practice to do the wonderously beautiful hairdos you dream of.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I don't associate my hair with age. I enjoy it for itself.

I do remember a couple of years ago running into a woman around my age that my husband had done a plumbing remodel for. She had a very neat short hair style, plus wore makeup and a nice suit. Then I saw a reflection of myself with my messy bun stringing down and my jeans and T-shirt. I felt so dowdy next to her. As I walked out of the department store, I saw a hair salon, and for a few minutes I wanted to go in there and get a make-over. But I didn't.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a "blah" phase, but I promise, we all have that point, and it does not last forever. I think you just need to focus on finding some styles you can do that work for your hair right now, as "the rut" always seems to precede the desire for change, and change WILL come your hair will get longer and you will be able to do more with it, but I'm a huge fan of lots of pretty hair toys in the meantime to spice it up a bit. =)

As for the age thing, I don't think it is necessarily the shorter or longer hairstyles that makes a person look young or old, but agree with trollypup that it is the 'trying too hard' look that does an individual in with a certain style. But hey, if they are happy with it, good for them!
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl