Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1940's Updos

Default Re: 1940's Updos

Quote Originally Posted by misstwist View Post
    It's just the same. My hair is about 32 inches right now. I gather the lock I want to put in a roll and comb it out nicely. If it's too clean I add a little aloe gel to make it hold together better. I find that using a finetooth comb, I usually use a rattail comb, to comb a lock together unifies it and makes it behave better as one unit.

Since I'm right handed, I gather the lock close to the roots in my right hand, between my index and middle finger, scissor fingers style. Then I slide those fingers down about halfway along the shaft.

Then, I wrap the remaining hair around both fingers, all the way to the tips. Be sure to keep hold of the tip for this next part. I tuck it between the two fingers and kind of keep ahold of it with my thumb. I just made a roll to check the movements. It seems that I make about a half turn down the roll toward my scalp after I have tuck in the ends.

Gently slide the formed curl off your fingers, holding it pinched like you see in the videos. Then use both hands to roll it toward the scalp, keeping the tension.

When you get to the scalp, stick your scissor fingers of the non-dominant hand inside the curl. For me, my left index finger holds the roll to my scalp and my left middle finger is on the outside of the roll, maintaining the tension.

Grab a bobbie pin and tuck it in under the finger you are using to hold the roll down. I can usually completely let go of the roll at this point. Tuck a bobbie pin in from the opposite side, crossing them inside the roll to lock. Add more if you feel you need to.

Shape the top of the roll and smile at yourself in the mirror to celebrate your victory over the victory roll.

The victory roll is just a neater version of the standing pincurl. If you practice by setting your hair in standing pincurls several times you will get the hang of the movements. You will soon be able to make it much neater and get a nice victory roll.

I hope this description helps.
    Thanks for this.... It will work great for my as well... Turns out it's the 1940's front that the boy likes so that's what I really have to figure out... From what we talked about the other night he likes half-ups for the back if anyone has any suggestions..

::Slice of Sunshine Pie:: adiapalic's Avatar
    Length
    33.5"/48"/?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: 1940's Updos

Quote Originally Posted by bluewhiteblue View Post
    I highly recommend poking around The Fedora Lounge. Try searching for "victory rolls", "long hair" and "updos" and you're sure to find lots of stuff! The Livejournal group vintagehair also has a lot of information - the "long hair" tag has a great deal of tutorials.
    I second the "victory rolls". I did these on my niece a few weeks ago, and it looks absolutely stunning on her little round face. I also slapped some matt red lipstick on her too, all she needed was some period clothes, and I could've got a great photo.
    Lady Siduri, Keeper of the Ever-Blooming Garden in the Order of the Long Haired Knights