View Poll Results: Did you experience Hair Loss along with your Weight Loss?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • No hair loss at all!

37 50.68%
  • A little hair loss, nothing noticable!

16 21.92%
  • Some hair loss, it's noticable! :/

9 12.33%
  • A lot of hair loss! Really upset! :'(

11 15.07%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dieting & Hair Loss

Length
    12/39/48
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Re: Dieting & Hair Loss

If you're losing hair after losing weight then you're under eating and probably under weight. It is a common occurrence with eating disorders. There might be other medical reasons for rapid hair loss also, so just keep an eye on it.
    I started my weight loss end of last March. I've dropped 70lbs since then and have about 10-20 more lbs to go. There's really nothing to prevent with it. Just don't abuse your body and make sure you don't under eat. I eat a high fruit/vege diet. Not much bread, like basically 1% of what I eat is bread. I rarely ever eat it.
    classic thigh knee

Length
    */*/*
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoAsh View Post
    If you're losing hair after losing weight then you're under eating and probably under weight. It is a common occurrence with eating disorders. There might be other medical reasons for rapid hair loss also, so just keep an eye on it.
    I started my weight loss end of last March. I've dropped 70lbs since then and have about 10-20 more lbs to go. There's really nothing to prevent with it. Just don't abuse your body and make sure you don't under eat. I eat a high fruit/vege diet. Not much bread, like basically 1% of what I eat is bread. I rarely ever eat it.
    I just wanted to point out that you don't have to be underweight to develop hair loss or any of the other common symptoms of eating disorders.

I had my hair falling out in clumps with I was still in the overweight category because I was eating so badly.

A healthy varied diet won't cause hair loss. I find tracking spefific nutriants that I tend to be low on helps.
    Enjoying Short HairLong hair will return eventually

Length
    27,5/38/43
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

No, I even got NEW growth when I started my paleolithic diet.
    TBL->Classic
    Goal length: Below Classic

Length
    Waist/Hip/Class
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have experienced no hair loss, probably because my weight loss has been due to an increase in exercise rather than an actual 'diet'

I 'm on a diet. I eat a lot of vegetables and tons of fruit I also drink a lot of tea plus I 'm doing sport and that help a lot!
    And my hair are healthy as always, no hair loss experienced!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/BSL/clsc
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

I am currently on a low-carb diet, basically I eat all kinds of meat, fish, dairy and eggs, with lots of fresh vegetables, and moderate amounts of fruit. I know it does not sound like much of a diet but combined with regular gym visits I lose on average 6 pounds a month. I have not noticed extra hair loss, on the contrary, my shed rate has decreased. Not to mention that I feel so much better in other areas as well - better mood, better overall sense of well-being, more energy. I am still fat, but I feel better about life - its like it does not matter so much anymore, because I eat things I like, and little by little the weight is going away without any stress or torture on my part.

Type
    1a/F/M/iii

I can't talk from personal experience, but my mother lost about 20 kilos (44 pounds I think) two years ago, and her hair stayed the same. She mainly just changed her diet and started walking a lot every day, and if anything, it looks even better and more shiny since she started eating healthier good luck with your diet!

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

If I don't get a certain amount of red meat, I get anemic and I start shedding. It's funny, all kinds of people swear up and down that we don't 'need' red meat, but my body makes it quite obvious that for optimal function, I need a bare minimum of 2 servings a week, and do better with around 4.

Once you get past the standard 'Don't deprive yourself of vital nutrients', you kind of have to figure out what your body needs to function best. I very badly need a certain amount of animal protein and have pretty bad intolerance to some of the more popular vegetable proteins.

~Kali
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

IDK what to vote here, tbh... If I'd starve myself or neglected my nutrition then yes, I'd have huge amount of hair coming out. If I lose fat naturally then no, it sheds just as usual. So I'd say it depends Losing weight in a healthy conservative manner doesn't mean your hair will thin out, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingHeart View Post
    If I don't get a certain amount of red meat, I get anemic and I start shedding. It's funny, all kinds of people swear up and down that we don't 'need' red meat, but my body makes it quite obvious that for optimal function, I need a bare minimum of 2 servings a week, and do better with around 4.
    ~Kali
    I thought I was the only one... I had a period in my life when I stopped eating red meat and my hair was coming out in chunks so I started eating it again. I found myself craving it too which is just odd.