Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Long hair... Long nails?

Default Re: Long hair... Long nails?

Quote Originally Posted by Éowyn_GreyEyes View Post
    Wow your horse is gorgeous! Andalusian?
    She belongs to my riding instructor, but yes I agree she is gorgeous. As far as I know she is just a cob-type, don't think she is any particular breed. She looks much chunkier in real life than in that picture!

Currently at hip ~ Trimming out layers and damage ~ Growing until my braid tassle tickles my pony's back when riding.

The Grey Havens (aka Canadian West Coast)
    Length
    SDL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Aw :3 chunky is cuddly ;P. I guessed Andalusian because of her coat, but her tail looks like it has some curl to it my friend had a young Andalusian/thorough bred and I always rode her, so beautiful!

Length
    Buzz/Waist/CL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My nails are a flamin' nightmare. Insanely short nail beds which are wider than they are long, and the nails are bendy, soft, vertically ridged and prone to splitting. I drink a ton of water, take vitamins, massage hands and nails at least once a day and always use treatments under my polish, and that's just to keep them at fingertip length. Even with all that, my index fingernails still break all the time, probably because I use those fingers the most.

C'est la vie. I keep them painted most of the time because that actually seems to protect them from breaking. I'll never have lovely long nails but at least they look neat at this length.

My hair on the other hand is fairly resilient. Only once in my life have I ever had to cut off damage, and I've put it through the wringer, believe me! My cousin on the other hand has lovely strong, pink, natural nails, but her hair is thin, weak and has a very short terminal length.
    Hie thee to a forkery!
    Currently at waist.

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

If I eat better, my nails and hair get better. My nails grow faster, stronger and are more white.

Length
    2/29/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

My nails are very strong, thick and grow like crazy. they never break and just grow grow grow. My hair grows slowly and it's very fine and fragile. It got a bit better since I've cleaned up my diet and started working out, but still - strong nail, weak hair. I'd be happy to switch it anytime.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (S. Beckett)

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

My nails are really strong--too strong. I keep them cut really really short and have for years since scratching myself (or anyone else) is like being gouged with a knife. when I grew them, they easily grew to 3/4 inch past my fingers and rarely broke (and like someone else said, broke off far down the nail bed and HURT. They never peeled or cracked. and they grow fast. I have to cut them every five days or so to keep them so there is no white showing. My hair is strong like my nails and so far doesn't split end or get white dots but I can't tell if it grows fast or not, because its hard to tell how fast it grows, due to its being so curly. I used both heat and chemicals on my hair most of my life, which kept it at brastrap and am still learning how long it will grow. I hope there's a hair/nails correlation because then I will be in good shape. But even using intense heat and chemicals at the same time, I never had white dots and hairdressers never thought it was damaged.
    I always thought my nails were so strong due to calcium. I always drank a lot of milk as a kid and ate yoghurt, cheese, etc. However, now as an older lady, I do have osteopenia and got it pretty young, so either the calcium wasn't going to my bones or something...
    Wouldn't hurt your hair and nails to drink milk though.
    When I was young, people used to drink Knox gelatine for their nails, seemed to work.
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    SDL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chen bao jun View Post
    My nails are really strong--too strong. I keep them cut really really short and have for years since scratching myself (or anyone else) is like being gouged with a knife. when I grew them, they easily grew to 3/4 inch past my fingers and rarely broke (and like someone else said, broke off far down the nail bed and HURT. They never peeled or cracked. and they grow fast. I have to cut them every five days or so to keep them so there is no white showing. My hair is strong like my nails and so far doesn't split end or get white dots but I can't tell if it grows fast or not, because its hard to tell how fast it grows, due to its being so curly. I used both heat and chemicals on my hair most of my life, which kept it at brastrap and am still learning how long it will grow. I hope there's a hair/nails correlation because then I will be in good shape. But even using intense heat and chemicals at the same time, I never had white dots and hairdressers never thought it was damaged.
    I always thought my nails were so strong due to calcium. I always drank a lot of milk as a kid and ate yoghurt, cheese, etc. However, now as an older lady, I do have osteopenia and got it pretty young, so either the calcium wasn't going to my bones or something...
    Wouldn't hurt your hair and nails to drink milk though.
    When I was young, people used to drink Knox gelatine for their nails, seemed to work.

I too drink a fair bit of milk, eat lots of yogurt and cheese, especially cottage cheese yuuummm hahaha but I'm 17 and have low iron level and am now starting to wonder what iron does for nails hmmmmm

Length
    SDL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nesoi View Post
    My nails are a flamin' nightmare. Insanely short nail beds which are wider than they are long, and the nails are bendy, soft, vertically ridged and prone to splitting. I drink a ton of water, take vitamins, massage hands and nails at least once a day and always use treatments under my polish, and that's just to keep them at fingertip length. Even with all that, my index fingernails still break all the time, probably because I use those fingers the most.

C'est la vie. I keep them painted most of the time because that actually seems to protect them from breaking. I'll never have lovely long nails but at least they look neat at this length.

My hair on the other hand is fairly resilient. Only once in my life have I ever had to cut off damage, and I've put it through the wringer, believe me! My cousin on the other hand has lovely strong, pink, natural nails, but her hair is thin, weak and has a very short terminal length.
    Hmm sounds like my best friends nails! Short and wide... She only grows and paints them when there's a special occasion on the way. But her hair is hip length and Very Very thin.

Length
    APL/HIP/TERM
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

My nails are quite long. About 2 inches at the moment. - They need a trimming. I just think what you put into your body, you get out. When I eat good, it shows in my hair, nails and skin.

SL/WL/HIP/BCL/TBL/CL+
    My journey from chemical damage to virgin hair.
    No trim 2014/Benign Neglect/Vegan Care.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

I have long and strong nails. Even when I was sick I had strong thick nails, they just didn't grow as fast. It's genetic as both of my parents both have the same type of nails. I have used mine when a screw driver was not available for looser screws (not super tight). I let them grow long until they break (snap cleanly usually), snap part way or get so long the nail bed starts aching (about cm/ 1.5 cm past nail bed end). I don't like to cut them short because it hurts to cut them (they bend before cutting so pulls on nail-bed skin attachment, ouch).

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights