View Poll Results: Would you make this potential sacrifice?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wow, if it was that great, Id wear it lots. You can probably mitigate damade.

48 30.00%
  • Wow if it was that great id wear it lots but youll probably get lots of damage.

3 1.88%
  • Id wear it fairly often, but also use others once in a while.

58 36.25%
  • Id wear it once in a while.

43 26.88%
  • I wouldnt do it at all.

8 5.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you make this potential sacrifice?

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Would you make this potential sacrifice?

"Id wear it fairly often, but also use others once in a while." And it's actually what I do with a top knot. Well, I guess that the neck hairs falling down and being exposed to friction are bigger problems than bobby pins. Since I use the ones with balls on the ends, I don't worry so much.
    But if we are talking about any damage, not only the one caused by pins, that's what I do.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I have "bobby pins" without the ball bits on the end, so maybe you could use those? The only problem is that pulling out a bobby pin that has literally disappeared into my hair can ruffle up the hairstyle, but that's not a problem if you're taking it out at the end of the day.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I don't think bobby pins are damaging if put in carefully and removed carefully. How hard is that to do??? I use bobby pins all the time to keep my stupid ff'ing layers out of my face and to pin up the base of a sagging french braid. If I want to do a certain style I do it. I want to enjoy my hair and not be paranoid over every little teeny tiny thing that *might* do a teeny tiny bit of damage.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    Chin/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I am terrified of mechanical damage, but I love feeling and looking good. I would wear it as often as I can but mix it up so I dont repeatedly stress my hair/scalp in the same place every day!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    16.5/30/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

"Id wear it once in a while". I don't like bobbypins because most times I used them I always forgot to take out one or two and slept like that, and then woke up in the middle of the night because something was poking my neck *shudders*.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Nope. Lots of bobby pins means the style is going to take too long to do for my taste, and will probably get heavy and uncomfortable after a while. For special occasions, sure, but braids are about the only updo I wear that can't be done in under 30 seconds.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    chin/apl+/elbow
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I wouldn't cause bobby pins rip my hair out. It doesn't matter how carefully I put them in or take them out. They're murder for me.
    shoulder - apl - bsl - WAIST - elbow
    Calaelen rocks my socks

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    3a/M/i

The real issue of the matter for me is, bobby pins are soooo annoying to have even just 4 of them, they take up so much time! If I had a beautiful hairdo that only could be succeeded with them, obviously I'd wear the hairdo rarely because of how tedious it is to fish around the things out of curly hair.

Aiming for Tailbone by the time I graduate university 2016

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Carissamarie08 View Post
    Yes. I really don't think Bobby pins kill hair.
    Generally I agree, I think bobbypins are a fairly hair-safe as long as you insert them correctly. I would recommend them for people with medium or course hair but I never ever use them on my own for multiple reasons. For one my hair is very fine and really does get damaged by them and secondly I can't be bothered to do any style that takes loads of pins. Bobby or otherwise.

So my answer to the poll is that I would never do that style.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Type
    1c/F/i

I would go for it honestly. I mean as long as you are taking care of your hair and not neglecting it I don't see how bobby pins would do too much damage. As long as you work gently and make sure that the tips are not sharp or peeling off.

For use of less bobby pins have you tried spin pins? I must say I have the short and long ones and I love them. My hair is fine and thin so I use more than most probably would and I also sometimes stick in a normal bobby or two, not for support more for holding the ends in or pushing a section down. But if your hair is thicker than mine you probably will be able to get away with less then me.