Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you henna your roots?

Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Re: How often do you henna your roots?

I do it once a month or two. I start to get the itch (sometimes literally) to henna after about a month, but have to wait for an evening when I'm alert and a following morning when I have time to rinse it out. I did two applications in a row without doing my toes; next time I'll henna my toes too.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I do it once a month or two. I start to get the itch (sometimes literally) to henna after about a month, but have to wait for an evening when I'm alert and a following morning when I have time to rinse it out. I did two applications in a row without doing my toes; next time I'll henna my toes too.
    Do you do your toes for the color, or some other reason? That sounds kinda fun! How long do you leave it on them?

(hennahead)

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Sounds like I'm about average. Its been about six weeks and I have about an inch of roots. The demarcation line is starting to get evident, so maybe this weekend ill touch up.
    Lady Rhiannon, Grand OverSeer of Mischief and Mayhem, keeper of The Wizard, of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Chopped it all off, grew out henna, and having fun starting over.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I know I do it less than average, every 3-4 months maybe. My hair's a medium brownish auburn, so it takes a LOT of growth before roots are actually noticeable in anything but bright sunlight.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    16 in/18 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

My silver roots really stand out from the dark henna so I SHOULD do a root touch up every month but you know how it is, things come up and I get busy, then I get too tired etc. so it ends up being about every 5 to 6 weeks.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by walterSCAN View Post
    Do you do your toes for the color, or some other reason? That sounds kinda fun! How long do you leave it on them?
    I have catastrophically fragile finernails- I mean when I accidentally BRUSHED my thumbnail against my husband's shoulder when going in for a hug, the nail shattered and crumbled down to the flesh. That has been typical for the last 10 years, and I tried every product on the market. I realized how good henna was for my hair and figured I tried everything else, why not try henna? I started using it on my nails about a month ago, and the difference is startling! I can now grow a thin free edge before they start breaking for the first time in years. Seriously, no matter how short my nails were (and I kept them trimmed so short is was painful!) the edges would just crumble away down into the flesh. I'll probably never have long nails, but at least they don't hurt and bleed anymore. They still break off pretty soon after reaching the free edge, but I'll take that over where I was. The color doesn't chip, and I cover it with a thin coat of a nail protein product from Spa Ritual (vegan), to make it look more like a standard polish. Also, if I don't protect the henna, it starts to fade, especially on the free edge. I mix the henna into a paste, let it release for 12 hours and then brush it on. I keep it moist with an eye dropper of water for about an hour and rinse it off. I do a regrowth once a week if I have time, sometimes I have to go longer, but henna on my nails is here to stay!

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBeth View Post
    I have catastrophically fragile finernails- I mean when I accidentally BRUSHED my thumbnail against my husband's shoulder when going in for a hug, the nail shattered and crumbled down to the flesh. That has been typical for the last 10 years, and I tried every product on the market. I realized how good henna was for my hair and figured I tried everything else, why not try henna? I started using it on my nails about a month ago, and the difference is startling! I can now grow a thin free edge before they start breaking for the first time in years. Seriously, no matter how short my nails were (and I kept them trimmed so short is was painful!) the edges would just crumble away down into the flesh. I'll probably never have long nails, but at least they don't hurt and bleed anymore. They still break off pretty soon after reaching the free edge, but I'll take that over where I was. The color doesn't chip, and I cover it with a thin coat of a nail protein product from Spa Ritual (vegan), to make it look more like a standard polish. Also, if I don't protect the henna, it starts to fade, especially on the free edge. I mix the henna into a paste, let it release for 12 hours and then brush it on. I keep it moist with an eye dropper of water for about an hour and rinse it off. I do a regrowth once a week if I have time, sometimes I have to go longer, but henna on my nails is here to stay!
    Fascinating! Thank you for explaining that, it makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. I had actually wondered if doing your toes had to do with the anti-fungal aspect of henna, but this is an interesting different perspective.

(hennahead)

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mamaherrera View Post
    This is so me, and trust me, I can find a mm of white roots within three days of just doing henna if I use the mirror.
    Hi mamaherrera I just tried to pm you back and your storage was exceeded....

Thanks, I'm emptying it right now--now you can fill it with lots of PMS for me!! :-)

Length
    apl/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I henna my roots every 3 months, and the roots are only visible in the brightest sunlight. I have a few greys, but they are barely noticeable with me wearing my hair down 100% of the time when I go out. (Updos would show too much grey after a month or so.) This time I waited almost 6 months--which sounds shocking--but it really didn't look bad worn down. I don't want to lose my waves, so the root-only method is better.