Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diy protein treatment?

Length
    15"/33"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: diy protein treatment?

I've heard of eggs. And Beer... but Soy sauce is a new one for me. Although, thinking about it, don't a lot of hair products contain soy something?

Tiny Opera Singer SlightlySoprano's Avatar
    Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Oh I am so glad I found this thread! I was about to start one myself!

I've got eggs, mayo, and castor oil on my head right now.. Going to see how long I can stand having it in
    Chin--Shoulder--APL--BSL-- MBL-- Waist
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

I love using coconut milk! I put it in a tupperware type of bowl and place it in the bathtub and dip my hair into it upside down while kneeling beside the tub. I gently take the length and squeeze the excess into the rest of my hair near the roots. My hair just absorbs it and then I wrap it with a plastic grocery bag and then a microfiber hair turban and leave it on for about an hour before shampooing it out and following up the ends with conditioner. It makes my hair soft and full. It looks shinier and appears to be more thick as it gives it tons of body. One can lasts me about three treatments and I keep the rest in the fridge for future treatments. It works as a heavy oiling prior to washing for me.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kidari View Post
    I love using coconut milk! I put it in a tupperware type of bowl and place it in the bathtub and dip my hair into it upside down while kneeling beside the tub. I gently take the length and squeeze the excess into the rest of my hair near the roots. My hair just absorbs it and then I wrap it with a plastic grocery bag and then a microfiber hair turban and leave it on for about an hour before shampooing it out and following up the ends with conditioner. It makes my hair soft and full. It looks shinier and appears to be more thick as it gives it tons of body. One can lasts me about three treatments and I keep the rest in the fridge for future treatments. It works as a heavy oiling prior to washing for me.
    Thank you! I am exited to try this one! I was just looking at the coconut milk when shopping earlier and wondering what hair use it could have! Did anyone have any color issues when trying the soy sauce or Bragg's Amino Acids(asking) Hope to get feedback from somebody...

Length
    13/22/36
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I've added Bragg's liquid aminos to my egg washes and felt like it made my hair slightly more resilient to breakage. But it got to the point where my hair didn't need any more protein and it started getting more brittle...so I stopped and did some moisture treatments which took care of that problem. I'll use it again when I need to.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Bumping this thread to see if there are other ideas out there.

I used mayo which is eggs, oil& vinegar. With an egg and a bit more olive oil, this was my regular treatment for a long while. I just stopped bothering with it at some point... life
    Used coconut milk recently hair was very soft.

Lagging behind life MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I recently bought phytokeratin; it's not exactly DIY or using kitchen ingredients but I can add it to any conditioner (drops, measured by % weight) and it definitely works - I used it in conditioner at ~3% and after 2 uses my hair was on the verge of protein overload It was not exactly cheap (~£10 for 30ml) but it will last me absolutely *ages* and I can use it in anything, so overall does work out very economical.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

Gelatin treatment.

You can buy flavorless gelatin but honestly I just use Jello. Dissolve between 1 tsp to ??? Tbsp (depending on thickness/length/desired strength) in maybe a scant 1/4 cup hot water, mix with a goodly chunk of conditioner, throw it on your head, leave it on maybe ten maybe fifteen minutes, rinse out.

What flavour