Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2697

Thread: OutNumbered Novelties' Sharp and Pointy Things

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: OutNumbered Novelties' Sharp and Pointy Things

Quote Originally Posted by Crystawni View Post
    I'm another slipmonster-baby-finer here, but have loads of the stuff that weighs it down. I find Celtic Knot buns work really well (all the twists and turns help with grip), as well as Pha Buns. Or an alternative I've been doing lately is like a Pha Bun, but I just hold the stick there beside the bun stem and wrap my hair around it (no twisting of the stick before the wrap), AND THEN rotate the stick so the end is pointing upwards, and flip (towards the head/scalp) and drive that point gently down and through the mass of hair (on a clock, 1pm>7pm). It's tight, so you have to loosen it as you go. But wow, does it hold.
    Thank you, Crystawni. I suspect that wrapped buns will work better for me with the ovals when my hair reaches waist again. Right now it's not quite APL. More hair will certainly give the stick something to anchor it.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    GG, your hair is so long and pretty! Hijack over.
    Thank you

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Great to hear, and lovely to see, Hele! Your sticks all look like works of art, and remind me of the sky's many moods.

Neoma, when I had less length, I found splitting buns into more sections before wrapping used to help a lot. My favourite was a Gibraltar (twisted LWB) split into three from the ponytail part, then each tail coiled and wrapped, with the last one rotated down and around to the opposite direction.

I know it looks like a jumble of hair, but here's one from a few years back:

A better view of the bun from my album:

"Split Gibraltar bun (twisted LWB, halved or more tail, twists stacked then last one split in the opposite direction for each end of the hairtoy to secure)."
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Length
    BSL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Thanks so much for your replies!

Groovy Granny: You may be right, I should try it with other buns. I've only done it with a LWB and a Nautilus (glad to see you back btw, missed seeing you on the forum! )

Neoma: Thanks for your suggestions! I've been eyeing up some Ketylos so good timing with the enabling! I've heard of Graydogs before, but the rest of them I'll have to look up. Do you know if any of them happen to be on Etsy? I know Ketylo isn't but I haven't found the others there

Crystawni: I'll definitely have to try the Celtic knot bun again. I tried it a while ago and loved how it worked and then for some reason it just faded into oblivion. (I find habits hard to break and my habit is usually doing a LWB every day ) Interestingly enough, I'm not sure I've ever heard of the Pha bun. *goes off to youtube and hairstyle thesaurus* Thanks for the tips!

Length
    BSL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hele View Post
    i have no luck with the ovals either, if i can even get them in my bun in the first place they pull it too tight. Which makes me sad, 'cause they're so pretty! But i'm here to say that the mini ovals are awesome...not only can i get it in my hair, i fell asleep with it in and my hair didn't manage to eject it! Here's a size comparison of it with some regular ONN sticks:

i picked up the Fire Nebula mini oval, pretty sure there will be a couple more in my future!

**and boo, i saw the note about Rich being at a trade show, i'd love to go to something like that!
    I'd just like to (third?) the comment that those colors are beautiful! And thanks so much for the comparison between the regular sized sticks and mini ovals, I was super curious how they would compare. Are the sticks to the left "ocean tempest"? I LOVE that color combination, I really have to get together some money and try to place an order from his shop again. Maybe if I can get the oval to work I'll place an order to celebrate . The sticks (when they're in pairs) seem to hold well so perhaps I'll just stick with those for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvana View Post
    Rich was at a craft show today, and I was in the area but unable to go. Didn't stop me from asking a hundred times
    I bet...it would awesome to see him in person at a fair..... or to get to his shop....dangerous for my wallet too

Quote Originally Posted by Hele View Post
    i have no luck with the ovals either, if i can even get them in my bun in the first place they pull it too tight. Which makes me sad, 'cause they're so pretty! But i'm here to say that the mini ovals are awesome...not only can i get it in my hair, i fell asleep with it in and my hair didn't manage to eject it! Here's a size comparison of it with some regular ONN sticks:

i picked up the Fire Nebula mini oval, pretty sure there will be a couple more in my future!
    !
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by mwallingford View Post
    Thanks so much for your replies!

Groovy Granny: You may be right, I should try it with other buns. I've only done it with a LWB and a Nautilus (glad to see you back btw, missed seeing you on the forum! )
    !
    Crystawni reminded me about the Pha Bun as well....mine don't look anything like hers but it works; though the LWB works the best for me in security and comfort.

Thank you for saying that ((((hugs)))...I am in and out, but out more than in some weeks

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Yeah, I was having difficulties with my new tapered Eads way back when, and that's when I found out Pha buns are fantabulous for tricky sticks. Here's a pic from that time:

And here's quickie Pha tutorial I found (where the fork is twisted near the beginning, but my newer bun doesn't twist until the hair is fully wrapped):

But, like you, mwallingford, I tend to get lazy and do muscle-memory buns (Celtic Knot, like in my siggy, is mine at the moment), and especially go for doubles when using sticks, even with ovals if I'm not using a knot-driven bun.

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

That is the video I learned from; it tends to be tight on me...that is probably why I forgot about it lol
    But I was playing with it tonight and am finding ways to loosen it as you did, so it will be an option again.

I do NOT have an issue with Rich's sticks slipping at all....and probably the reason why I grab for his sticks.... and not the ones I need the pha bun for
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; November 11th, 2018 at 04:18 PM.

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

GG, yeeeup, the instant facelift from Phas isn't a nice feel. I'm guessing it's that tightness that works, but it certainly can be toooooo ouchy. I tend to re-insert the stick (if I can, or pull the bun out from my scalp a bit) to get a bit more breathing space with those. I can imagine with your sparkly silvery hue it looks absolutely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystawni View Post
    GG, yeeeup, the instant facelift from Phas isn't a nice feel. I'm guessing it's that tightness that works, but it certainly can be toooooo ouchy. I tend to re-insert the stick (if I can, or pull the bun out from my scalp a bit) to get a bit more breathing space with those. I can imagine with your sparkly silvery hue it looks absolutely beautiful.
    Very true

Thank you but not as great as YOU imagine my hair to look lol....and certainly not as fabulous as your buns always Look

My hair really compacts when I bun it and the pha bun is NOT a fave of mine

It will take some practice to learn how to fluff/loosen it a bit