Page 202 of 252 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2511

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Length
    Pixie/CBL/??
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

When I tried this years ago my hair got crunchy from the aloe. Does anyone else have this issue or should I just give it another go? It's been about 5 years and I don't remember what conditioners I used back then.
    Last edited by kittengirl; May 6th, 2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling errors
    Lady Hayley of IMAGINATION, Seeker of the Moon and the Silver Sea in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/Hip/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    My first thought is yogurt. Coconut cream or full fat canned coconut milk might work too, but they might be oily. I like the conditioning effects from the emulsifiers in commercial products, though, and I'm not sure what it would be like without those. If it doesn't work, I'd be tempted to buy something like btms-50 from a soapmaking supply and mix it in, in the recommended proportion.
    Coconut cream at least for me is oily so I use it before shampooing.

Quote Originally Posted by samanthaa View Post
    I was going to suggest coconut milk as well. Yogurt's also a good suggestion. Maybe a blended avocado or banana? Mayonnaise (or eggs)?
    Avo is a good choice but may still need to extra extra rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by kittengirl View Post
    When I tried this years ago my hair got crunchy from the aloe. Does anyone else have this issue or should I just give it another go? It's been about 5 years and I don't remember what conditioners I used back then.
    Maybe it was the type of aloe used. I posted my results on the page back and what products I used. It's day 3 and still very silky. I wash daily too.
    Started growing 10/2014 {SL* APL * BSL * MBL * WL * Hip * TB *Classic}

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    My first thought is yogurt. Coconut cream or full fat canned coconut milk might work too, but they might be oily. I like the conditioning effects from the emulsifiers in commercial products, though, and I'm not sure what it would be like without those. If it doesn't work, I'd be tempted to buy something like btms-50 from a soapmaking supply and mix it in, in the recommended proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by samanthaa View Post
    I was going to suggest coconut milk as well. Yogurt's also a good suggestion. Maybe a blended avocado or banana? Mayonnaise (or eggs)?
    Thank you ladies! I think I'll try it with some banana first and we'll see afterwards. I'll also check out some emulsifiers ...
    One stitch at a time ...

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have been trying to make time for weekly SMT lately, and again did so today. I have been adding a drop of castor oil every now and then, this quantity doesn't seem to give me acne.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Aloe makes my hair crunchy too. I usually just substitute vegetable glycerin and/or coconut oil for the aloe.
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I am continuing to have great results with an SMT + coconut oil. My hair looks so soft and shiny, I can't believe it!

MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Length
    SL/Hip/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Looks very nice Samanthaa!!!

Yesterday I used a different Suave (Lavender & Liac which I love) and I got busy and left my SMT in for an hour. Results were not the same. It was less silky feeling.

I'll stick to 20 mins and the Rain Forest Suave.
    Started growing 10/2014 {SL* APL * BSL * MBL * WL * Hip * TB *Classic}

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Samanthaa, that shine is amazing! And that shade of red is simply incredible! Wow!

I have those issues with aloe sometimes, so I replaced aloe with a bit more honey and oil. I do a modified SMT.

Length
    Pixie/CBL/??
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I tried it again and my hair loves it! I accidentally bought clear aloe juice instead of gel but it seems to be working very well, just a hair runny. I've done it twice as my hair is severely dry and the 2nd time I realized I did 4 parts conditioner to 2 parts the other things but my hair is really nice this morning so it must have worked! How often can I do this? Can I do it twice a week when I wash? My hair is severely dry and breaking off at the ends.
    Lady Hayley of IMAGINATION, Seeker of the Moon and the Silver Sea in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I tried it again and my hair loves it! I accidentally bought clear aloe juice instead of gel but it seems to be working very well, just a hair runny. I've done it twice as my hair is severely dry and the 2nd time I realized I did 4 parts conditioner to 2 parts the other things but my hair is really nice this morning so it must have worked! How often can I do this? Can I do it twice a week when I wash? My hair is severely dry and breaking off at the ends.
    I think you can do it that frequently, so long as your hair doesn't get lank or stretchy. I wouldn't leave it on longer than 20-30 minutes if doing it frequently, because long periods of staying wet can cumulatively damage hair, but a few more frequent deep conditionings shouldn't hurt anything.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!