Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rose Vinegar Hair Rinse

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Rose Vinegar Hair Rinse

Quote Originally Posted by secret soup View Post
    I wonder if you could make rose liquor? A potion for the body while the hair gets a vinegar potion!

When I finally try to ferment/make vinegar, I'm worried I won't be able to because my house is so warm and I live in a hot, humid climate (no basement or root cellar possible). I hope it doesn't spoil the fermentation? One time I canned food and realized that I could never keep my home at the 70-or-so degrees needed to not hasten spoilage, so we ended up eating it all right away--which defeats the purpose!
    A rose wine or cordial would be good. I don't know how to make safe alcohol though.

High temps will hasten the fermentation process along but temp in itself shouldn't cause spoilage.
    The big thing with fermenting is to make sure everything is under the liquid, even one little piece of floating veggie/flower can grow mold.

Since vinegar isn't a typical ferment, I don't bother with weights but I absolutely have to stir it daily to prevent mold. Even after its turned to alcohol, floating bits can mold. That why you strain it for final process while it turns to vinegar. The low PH keeps the finished product from molding.

With things like kimchi, you put it in the fridge once it's fermented to your liking. Its will last a long time cold. I store any veggies I make it the fridge too

If you have facebook, look for the group fermenting for beginners. There is a lot to learn. It's not hard, just need to do things right.

I'm in the heat wave, really thought the roses would have started to ferment by now but nothing yet. I added more sugar, sometimes its needs help to get going.
    Might be easier to just soak rose petals in some white vinegar and dilute with water to whatever strength you prefer.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    A rose wine or cordial would be good. I don't know how to make safe alcohol though.

High temps will hasten the fermentation process along but temp in itself shouldn't cause spoilage.
    The big thing with fermenting is to make sure everything is under the liquid, even one little piece of floating veggie/flower can grow mold.

Since vinegar isn't a typical ferment, I don't bother with weights but I absolutely have to stir it daily to prevent mold. Even after its turned to alcohol, floating bits can mold. That why you strain it for final process while it turns to vinegar. The low PH keeps the finished product from molding.

With things like kimchi, you put it in the fridge once it's fermented to your liking. Its will last a long time cold. I store any veggies I make it the fridge too

If you have facebook, look for the group fermenting for beginners. There is a lot to learn. It's not hard, just need to do things right.

I'm in the heat wave, really thought the roses would have started to ferment by now but nothing yet. I added more sugar, sometimes its needs help to get going.
    Might be easier to just soak rose petals in some white vinegar and dilute with water to whatever strength you prefer.
    Wow! There is a lot to learn! I need to do some serious reading, for sure. Me and mold definitely do not get along (allergies).

It seems like vinegar is somewhat like growing hair...wait wait wait LOL
    Pixie (April 2020) --> SL --> APL --> MBL --> Waist --> Hip
    -----------------------
    Last trim: April 23, 2024. Photo: April 1, 2024

You would probably infuse vodka or brandy or whatever it was you wanted to be rose-y. So, much like preparing the vinegar, only you wouldn't ferment it-- I think with most things infused in alcohol, you only leave it overnight or for a couple days.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I have fermentation and the potion is boozy. Based on the flavor of this, not sure I'd like a floral alcohol.

It may depend, though. After all, alcohol made for drinking is fermented in a certain way; stuff you ferment at home, especially if it's not created in a way that's meant for consumption, simply might not taste good.

It probably depends on how you feel about floral flavors in general. If you like foods/drinks made with rose water, you'd probably be fine with rose-flavored alcohol. I can only take them in small doses, generally, so while I might like a floral-flavored drink (alcoholic or not) on rare occasions as a novelty, I wouldn't be into it on a regular basis. (I have a "lavender milk tea" mix, and while it's interesting, I don't drink it that often {well, partly because it's chock-full of sugar...}. Same for a lavender Earl Grey I've had in the past. Rose flavored stuff I can only do quite sparingly.)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I really want to try making this! I love roses and I even have all the essentials for this recipe. No fresh rose petals unfortunately, but I have dried ones which should work.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    I really want to try making this! I love roses and I even have all the essentials for this recipe. No fresh rose petals unfortunately, but I have dried ones which should work.
    Dried will work, just make sure they are food or cosmetic grade. Any sold for decorations could have pesticides.

I found I did have to use a bit more sugar to get the ferment going but it started, it wad very active. I actually had it bubble ovet and had to transfer to a bigger jar.

Strained it today and added some starter vinegar and mother, hopefully in a month or so, it will be complete

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Dried will work, just make sure they are food or cosmetic grade. Any sold for decorations could have pesticides.

I found I did have to use a bit more sugar to get the ferment going but it started, it wad very active. I actually had it bubble ovet and had to transfer to a bigger jar.

Strained it today and added some starter vinegar and mother, hopefully in a month or so, it will be complete
    I got mine from the tea section at my health food store so that should be okay. Is it necessary to add starter vinegar and/or mother? I must admit that this is the first time I'll be making vinegar!

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Perfect, those will be great. No, it isn't necessary to add starter vinegar or mother, it just helps speed up the second part of the process and I had some on hand so I used them.

If you do want to use some, a raw acv with the floaty bits in the bottom is a good additive. Once the petals are fermented to your liking, strain the solids out and add about 1/4 cup of the raw vinegar, make sure to get the floaty sediment, thats where the good stuff is.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Perfect, those will be great. No, it isn't necessary to add starter vinegar or mother, it just helps speed up the second part of the process and I had some on hand so I used them.

If you do want to use some, a raw acv with the floaty bits in the bottom is a good additive. Once the petals are fermented to your liking, strain the solids out and add about 1/4 cup of the raw vinegar, make sure to get the floaty sediment, thats where the good stuff is.
    Thanks a lot for explaining! Let the experiment begin I will post an update when the time comes.