Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't stop washing!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I agree with the posters who said that the frequent scalp cleansing might be contributing to the problem. As it's already been very well explained i don't need to repeat it

Some ideas, as has been said, CO washing might be an idea to try, or if that isn't cleansing enough yet you might want to try C-COW-C which is where you condition the length, mix some shampoo with conditioner and use that on the scalp to wash, then condition it all again afterwards.

You could also try overnight heavy oilings before each wash....including the scalp. Oils like Jojoba tend to calm down oil production so that might help, also ylang ylang EO is said to balance sebum production.

The other (and i think easiest) idea might be to invest in a boar bristle brush (BBB) and give your scalp a good going over with that to pull the sebum down the hair, so it offers a form of cleansing the scalp but also helps to lubricate the dryer lengths.

As for natural products that are store brought.....i'm not sure, oh, except there's Aubrey Organics which looks quite cool but i haven't used it, but i think honey and yogurt mixed together make a lovely conditioner. You could also look into herb washing/conditioning.....some of that stuff is amazing.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    22/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Thanks for the tips Katze and CloeDharma. Thanks for the product suggestions Serenitygal. It sounds like different things work for different people and I just have to play around with what works for me. My hair loves CWC and it loves CO too except for the itchy scalp. I'm going to try both again and see which one makes by roots oilier.

Since I always feel that I have to wash, I might even try WO every other day. Water itself doesn't harm the hair does it? If so, maybe I'll try C-WO. I think I'll put conditioner just on the length and ends (not on my scalp so I don't get the itchies) and then I'll try scrubbing my scalp really well. Has anybody tried something like this before?

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I do this all the time its my favorite washing method. I do use diluted shampoo about once a week or so. I wash my hair about three times a week so the other two times I just use WO on my scalp and condition the ends.

Length
    20 in/27 in/40 in
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: I can't stop washing!

same here...
    i feel hair is not clean if i dint see lather!
    i work out a lot.
    what should my wash routine be?

Length
    AP/TB/~W/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Personally, I've stretched washings, and my scalp never produced less oil.

Sebum is produced internally at a given rate, based upon genetics and hormones and environmental factors (such as temperature, humidity, sweating, exercise, etc.), but not due to how oily you do or don't leave the outside layer of your scalp. You could use Dawn dish detergent and find that it doesn't make your scalp produce sebum any faster than if you 'cleansed' with pure olive oil. It's just not a scientific factor.

CWC and COing work to make some people feel less oily in time, because some of the ingredients in cheaper conditioners (White Rain, V05, and similar) also work to remove build-up and do a light cleansing of their own. Also, they make your hair feel a lot better, because the ends get more moisture.

Shampoo bars do technically clean a little better, because they're more alkaline and slightly more drying than most commercial shampoos that usually have a pH of 7. But the use of shampoo bars should always be followed with an ACV or citric acid rinse, as the hair cuticle needs to be closed after the soap has opened it, and you must bring the pH back up.

In my opinion, if your scalp is oily, then wash it. Just use a gentle shampoo, and don't suds up the ends from the ears down. If you really don't want the ends to be exposed to any soap, then braid it and hold the braid aside.

You can also try using tea tree oil, peppermint oil, lemon oil, lavender oil, thyme oil, or any cleansing essential oil on your scalp, and see if it helps things feel cleaner. There's also a recipe on LHC for some sort of dry shampoo with cornstarch in it -- worth a try, to stretch out washings.

Also, it would be worth trying a very, very diluted baking soda wash for your scalp (1/4tsp. diluted in 12-16oz of water), but make sure to slather conditioner on your ends, as you wouldn't want it to dry them out.

Hope this helps-

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I went SLS/cone free and it worked great (the trader joe's stuff). My hair was happy more or less instantly. After a few months, I've finally been able to transition to CO, which is almost perfect. The thing is that the more you wash you hair, the oilier your scalp will want to be to compensate, and the dryer your hair will get. You have to draw the line somewhere.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by venividibxtchy View Post
    Personally, I've stretched washings, and my scalp never produced less oil.

Sebum is produced internally at a given rate, based upon genetics and hormones and environmental factors (such as temperature, humidity, sweating, exercise, etc.), but not due to how oily you do or don't leave the outside layer of your scalp. You could use Dawn dish detergent and find that it doesn't make your scalp produce sebum any faster than if you 'cleansed' with pure olive oil. It's just not a scientific factor.
    I disagree. I have one of those naturally really oily scalps. I've found that cutting down on the harshness of washing products over time has drastically reduced the amount of oiliness and I thought I was a completely hopeless case. I've been an oil rig my whole life. I excercise a lot. I'm quite sure that if I go back to my old ways, my scalp would have a quick dry spell and then go back to overproduction. Your skin CAN sense this and find itself a balance. Start using lotion on your face every day for a month and then stop. You will have a dry face even if you didn't have one before you started this regime. Skin is a tricky organ in that it adapts because it is sensitive to environmental stimuli.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.