Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Moly! Accidently bleached my hair with Cinnamon!

Length
    24/26/Hips
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SHELIAANN1969 View Post
    WOW, thats funny, because cinnamon is a cassia plant.
    Henna Sooq mentioned that she used cassia obovata and honey to lighten some of the henna build up in the honey thread. Cinnamon is not the same plant. They are in the same family of plant, I would assume they would have some similar properties.

Big question, is that a permanet lighting process or does it get darker again once you stop using the cinnamon?

Ekaini - Thanks for the link.

I wonder if the other high values would give the same effect? Nutmeg anybody?
    Last edited by MeMyselfandI; March 31st, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

cassia obovata and cinnamon Cinnamomum verum is not the same plant, and they have very different uses.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Holy Moly

I believe that is a different cassia that Henna Souq used - cassia senna.

Isilme - we posted at the same time, lol

The “other“cassia - the one sold as cinnamon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassia
    Last edited by ktani; March 31st, 2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added text

Type
    2a/M/ii

Maybe that's why the OP never noticed any lightening with the cinnamon oil in the mister, only when she switched to ground cinnamon -- because they were actually from two different plants?

Either way, this is really interesting! I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    24/26/Hips
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Isilme View Post
    cassia obovata and cinnamon Cinnamomum verum is not the same plant, and they have very different uses.
    Very true,

I did not add that in my post, I will.
    Last edited by MeMyselfandI; March 31st, 2008 at 02:50 PM.

Daughter of the King WritingPrincess's Avatar
    South of the cheese, not quite out of the corn.
    Length
    SL/41"/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Cassia cinnamon (our favorite kind) is not cinnamon at all, but an entirely different plant.
    "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."
    ~ John 8:11

Quote Originally Posted by MeMyselfandI View Post

Big question, is that a permanet lighting process or does it get darker again once you stop using the cinnamon?
    Interesting question. I would have to believe that this is permanent, my ends have gotten fairly translucent (still brownish colored, but more see-through), and they were not that way before.

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    The “other“cassia - the one sold as cinnamon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassia
    Aha, so cinnamon is in the Henna/Cassia family, eh? So I would imagine it has color depositing qualities as well as bleaching tendencies? I've got to read more on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Maybe that's why the OP never noticed any lightening with the cinnamon oil in the mister, only when she switched to ground cinnamon -- because they were actually from two different plants?
    You are right, I didn't notice any lightening with the oil, but I swore that I bought the cinnamon bark oil, not the cinnamon leaf oil. I am at work right now, so I can't check the label. It may have been the crucial error in all of this. But either way, it sure smelled strongly of cinnamon.
    [CENTER]

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Áine View Post

You are right, I didn't notice any lightening with the oil, but I swore that I bought the cinnamon bark oil, not the cinnamon leaf oil. I am at work right now, so I can't check the label. It may have been the crucial error in all of this. But either way, it sure smelled strongly of cinnamon.
    That wasn't quite what I meant, although that could also explain it. What I meant was, if the cinnamon oil in your mister was from the plant Cinnamomum verum (a.k.a. "true cinnamon") and the ground cinnamon was actually Cinnamomum aromaticum, or C. cassia (a.k.a. the stuff that's commonly sold in the U.S. and Canada but isn't actually true cinnamon, according to Wikipedia), then those are two different plants. Hence that could explain why one lightened and the other didn't.

No idea if cinnamon leaf oil and cinnamon bark oil come from the same plant or not. You'd have to check that with your supplier.

Hijack: Cinnamon in a cup of hot mead is marvellous for colds, especially with lemon, honey, ginger, nutmeg and a pinch of chili powder.
    Last edited by Wavelength; March 31st, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Holy Moly

Cassia cinnamon is a related species but not true cinnamon - yes, it is a different plant.

I believe that the colour change will be permanent - peroxide lightening does not tend to redarken.

From the title, both plants may be closely related enough to have the same or similar peroxide values. There is more information on cassia and cinnamon - scroll down.
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=KZa8...Ot2tkeW4&hl=en

The oil in the mister - in such a small quantity, may not have been strong enough.
    Last edited by ktani; March 31st, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

Length
    24/26/Hips
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Áine View Post
    Interesting question. I would have to believe that this is permanent, my ends have gotten fairly translucent (still brownish colored, but more see-through), and they were not that way before. ...
    Aine,

I would be cautious if your hair got that light.

Looking at the POV table of ground cinnamon, I would assume misting with this would be simillar to spraying a very weak solution of peroxide to the hair.