Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

Default Re: Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    In general I'd say, no problem, but... but! There are ingredients that "can" be in rinse-out products that you best not leave on the hair. I don't know exactly what those ingredients are.

Anyway why would you want to leave in plain conditioner when there are so many products designed for leaving in the hair. I guess I don't quite get it.

I'd not risk it, personally.
    Not having to buy (and store) extra products is a big plus.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

If it works for you, both thumbs up!

Length
    pixie/waist/happy
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Based just on "gut instinct," lately I've been not making the effort to thoroughly rinse out my conditioner at the end of washing. Just a very very quick rinse. My theory was, "surely it's the same general idea as using a leave-in except lazier??" So far I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of, and it's helped give my hair a little extra slip, so I'm pleased with the results. But it's only been a handful of months (so for me, a handful of washings) since I've started it.

"A green glass-tipped hairpin dropped onto her shoulder and then the floor. Drat. She had never been good at putting up her own hair." Provenance, Ann Leckie

Length
    18in/24/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/i/ii

Yup! Us curlies do this a lot; I started this technique years ago when I read Teri Laflesh's book, with some tweaking I got great results, and use regular conditioner as my leave-in and main styling product when my hair is curly.

Most "leave-in" conditioners are just normal conditioners that have been watered down a bit and packaged seperately (often at a markup!), selling more product. If your hair is thick, frizzy, thirsty or curly, these leave-in products are probably too lightweight for you.

If regular conditioner works as a leave-in for you- go for it! Listen to your hair

Length
    18in/24/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/i/ii

I just noticed your follow-up comment about using black hair products- if you have curly, coily or kinky hair, I really encourage you to check out Teri's web site or book! She has lots of advice specific to these hair types on growing long and strong- our hair needs often don't match up with "mainstream" (straight/wavy) hair advice. I altered her methods slightly to suit my own hair, but she was the single most helpful resource I have ever found for working with my hair type.

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I personally don't see anything wrong with leaving conditioner in. If my hair was looking dry, my mom or aunt would tell me not to rinse conditioner all the way out so my hair would be moisturized. Surely it's the same concept.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

I actually ONLY just use conditioner as a leave in. I’ll mix it with some water in a spray bottle and moisturize my hair with it as needed. Been doing that for years now.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    3.9/24/30
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I also use my conditioner as a leave in, but I diluted it add distilled water and Aloe Vera. I just spritz it over my hair (mostly ends) and then I seal it in with a tiny amount of oil. Works fine if I don't overdo it (I have finer hair).
    Don't regret the chop, but now I want to see how long it can get

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

My contribution: I usually don't use products on my hair, and my hair's curly and dryish. I used leave-in conditioner for the first time and was happy with the results.
    My hair smells gorgeous and it was a lot less frizzy and my Day 1 hair was actually more like day 2 hair! With the texture and how frizzy it was. My hair was weighed down a bit. It did use more conditioner than I'd normally use but I was pleased.
    If I did leave-in condish I'd do it every 3-4 days at the least when I washed my hair, because my hair gets too oily after 3 or 4 days.

Last trim: September 2023
    BSL

Length
    Hip/BCL/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

My primary concern would be that the product contains methyl(chloro)isothiazolinone. They're preservatives that are banned from use in leave-on products in the EU. They give me a rash even in rinse-out products. I don't remember the US regulations regarding those preservatives but I think they were way laxer about it than the EU.

As for myself, I would love to try the Garnier Hair Foods as leave-ins, but then again, that's one of their intended uses so perhaps not the same thing. However, I have several leave-in-specific products in my stash, and I'm worried that if I liked the Hair Food too much as a leave-in, I wouldn't use those products up at all. So I won't even go there!
    Last edited by Ylva; March 16th, 2020 at 02:04 AM.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links