Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Henndigo thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lexie View Post
    I think weight is a definite factor. I didn't notice it much until I used a different gloss yesterday. My usual gloss is henna diluted by cassia, but this time I used gelled water with my chamomile tea. The mixture was so much lighter, and when I rinsed, only one hair fell. My scalp isn't itching today either, so I think I'm going to stick to gelled glosses in the future.

But damn, Elfling, your hair is longer than I expected! I can't wait to get mine long again. I miss it. I think we've got a similar color now. That's cool. In the sun, mine looks medium to dark auburn now. Indoors, it looks quite a bit darker, but not yet black. I like it. It looked very red last night, but it oxidized already! Wouldn't mind it being dark red, but I like this too.
    Yeah, I'm trying to strike that balance between red and black- I want *more* black than red, but I don't want red around my hairline, and I don't think completely black would work for me.

Thanks for all your experiments at hennaforhair, btw- SO awesome and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrian View Post
    Hey Elfling, good result! But tell me, what color were you before this henindigo. I ask in order to be able to work out my own recipe. Thanks for sharing...
    This was my hair before any henna at all, about a month ago:

SO frizzy, rather washed out red/brown.

After the first henna-only:

Again, hard to photograph the color; this doesn't show quite how red it was, especially around my hairline/roots.

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Same for me except I probably want more red than black. Kind of hard to achieve on a tight budget.

And thank you. I enjoyed doing those experiments. Glad to see they've helped people. I was actually googling the thread recently and found a completely different forum where people were working with the blond recipes. It gave me a good feeling. Those were inspired by Prairiechild though, so I give her credit there. The rest were like, 'Hmm...I wonder if this really makes a difference.' In retrospect, I wish I'd done more. I want to repost those experiments here. They have a tendency to go missing. Maybe someday I'll have the time to continue experimenting.

Love the red hair. If I could have red hair that long, I'd be a happy camper!

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Elfling View Post
    This was my hair before any henna at all, about a month ago:

SO frizzy, rather washed out red/brown.

After the first henna-only:

Again, hard to photograph the color; this doesn't show quite how red it was, especially around my hairline/roots.
    Interesting. 2:1 Henna: Indigo? Can you tell me how long you left it on? At the moment, I twostep, and have longed to able to do a onestep successfully. The problem is covering grey roots adequately - which seem to do better with the more labour-intensive twostep.

That's what I've heard too about gray I only have two or three so it wasn't a big concern for me. Yet I left the henndigo on for 3.5 hours or so.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Won't indigo turn it black? How do i make an amla gloss? a tbsp amla with conditioner as a mask???
    I don't really want my ends darker, i want them to blend more is all. My mothers wants to stop dyeing her hair but after this wedding she is going to. So I am doing a few hennas on her to strengthen her weakened hair from a really bad dye job (he hair was snapping off at the roots)
    She wants a brown. Not necessarily ashy but her white hair doesn't pick up the indigo at all, it soaks up henna like no tommorow though.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Have you tried adding salt and/or amla to the indigo? I don't think amla alone will do much for her apart from making her hair more ashy, but you can give it a try. I mix it to a soupy consistency with boiling water. Applied a.s.a.p. for about 30 minutes really messes with my henna color. It looks stripped and overwhelmingly beige after but still with some red underneath.

Length
    BSL/Waist/Hips?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

My hair is a very dark auburn and I can't completely cover my greys with only henna. Hennaed whites blend nicely on my length but are a bright orange line on my roots. What I do is to apply henna first, let sit for two hours and then indigo but only on my orange roots, not on the length. I let sit the indigo for 20 minutes before rinsing it out. My roots turn a beautiful auburn which perfectly matches the length.
    It still is a two step process but it is the only one I've found which is not too messy-time consuming and totally covers my greys.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

well mum was feeling embarrased witht he fluro spot so as a curiousity thing i made a tbsp indigo with amount of conditioner to make it a paste. Then i applied. Waited 10-20min and then applied conditioner to it and tried to spread it around so the area aroudn would slowly blend into a brown. Well that didn't really work, But it definetaly made her hair a greenish brown (I'm sure it will oxidise nicely, it is just slightly green, can't even tell)
    And she was pleased, but then still not trusting with it, i don't understand why it worked.
    Anyway, tommorow i will spray her roots with hibiscus so the rest of her hair is darker too.
    Now i know it works, that is good. I'm going to make that indigo stretch though!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?