Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone seen a 'fish' clip, but metal?

Default Re: Anyone seen a 'fish' clip, but metal?

What is it you like about the clip, crazybunnies?

Is it that it is round? Or that they are smaller than most claw clips?
    Or you do a specific style they work for, and if so what style?

Just asking so I can help know what type of clips to search for
    maybe we can help recommend alternatives if you can't find a metal one.
    Much love to all my fellow long hair peoples!

~ ~

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

OK when I saw your title my first thought is Ficcare power clip, they look kinda like fish to me and they're kinda cute. https://www.ficcare.com/powerclip They're pricey but should last your forever. Although I don't know if they would work holding just a ponytail. They're best for a peacock twist, French twist or folded braid I think.
    Last edited by sapphire-o; February 3rd, 2022 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yep, in my case they don't shut. I once had one of these, well sort of, back when the cleopatra style was popular (80s), and it looked more like a straight bit of plastic that you just wrapped around a pony, kind of like a high tree skirt. LOL

But anyway, I had the world of trouble because that sucker refused to close on me!
    You mean these?

I still see them. (Maybe Ariana Grande wears them?) Never used them because every time I think "that's cute" I realize that it would look ridiculous on me...

(Aside: I've always though the expandable type look interesting as well, but there's no way I'd get them into or out of my hair without my hair tangling around them as I did.)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrina View Post
    What is it you like about the clip, crazybunnies?

Is it that it is round? Or that they are smaller than most claw clips?
    Or you do a specific style they work for, and if so what style?

Just asking so I can help know what type of clips to search for
    maybe we can help recommend alternatives if you can't find a metal one.
    Ah, duh, I should have said! I use them for a high 'bee butt' bun - I wrap my hair into shape and then put the clip around the base. Because it has springs/prongs, it doesn't have to close, it just has to bite into enough of the bun to pin the ends down. I've tried the flat 'banana clip' style ones, but those have to be able to close to stay in place, so as someone said earlier, your hair has to be the exact right circumference. I guess the key with this shape is that they are narrower and longer than a regular claw clip, so they go farther around the hair without any real height. (Which is why regular claw clips don't work - they have more prongs but the prongs are shorter, I guess is the way to describe it.) Let me dig out the one I have left and I'll take a picture.

Type
    1c/M/C/iii

AHA here's a picture of someone else using them exactly the way I do!
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1045769..._click=1&pro=1
    They're out there in plastic, I just want something that won't break if I accidentally sit on it (again).

Quote Originally Posted by crazybunnies View Post
    Ah, duh, I should have said! I use them for a high 'bee butt' bun - I wrap my hair into shape and then put the clip around the base. Because it has springs/prongs, it doesn't have to close, it just has to bite into enough of the bun to pin the ends down. I've tried the flat 'banana clip' style ones, but those have to be able to close to stay in place, so as someone said earlier, your hair has to be the exact right circumference. I guess the key with this shape is that they are narrower and longer than a regular claw clip, so they go farther around the hair without any real height. (Which is why regular claw clips don't work - they have more prongs but the prongs are shorter, I guess is the way to describe it.) Let me dig out the one I have left and I'll take a picture.
    Oh, interesting! I never thought of them for a bun.

Yeah, you're right, a banana clip would have to close... and also would force your hair into an oblong shape, which might make a bun not work?
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    (Aside: I've always though the expandable type look interesting as well, but there's no way I'd get them into or out of my hair without my hair tangling around them as I did.)
    I always loved the look of them but tried one from a friend once and it immediately tangled up in my hair.

Type
    1c/M/C/iii

I've used those expandable ones (apparently the new trend is to call them bird nest clips) and they always tangled too. The only time I had any luck at all was when I had one I could disconnect, wrap around, and then fasten it back together. It wasn't made to work like that, I'd just broken it a little and wanted to see if it needed to be chucked or not it didn't work well but it did work.

I think that's the only way I could use one, unless I used it at the *end* of my hair. But, I'm not sure I would even find them strong enough to hold my hair. Certainly not a high ponytail; maybe a low one. Unless they tend to open themselves up during the day, which would probably be my luck, it would just expand and fall out-- do they have a way to "lock" them closed?