View Poll Results: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

Voters
334. You may not vote on this poll
  • > 13

27 8.08%
  • 13 - 19

106 31.74%
  • 20 - 25

95 28.44%
  • 26 - 30

34 10.18%
  • 31 - 40

43 12.87%
  • 41 - 50

14 4.19%
  • 51 - 60

8 2.40%
  • 61 - 70

5 1.50%
  • 71+

0 0%
  • cheese

2 0.60%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

Length
    14.5/44/55
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

I had a pixie cut when i was 15 and grew that out to knee length over the next 14 years before slowly cutting it shorter and shorter until finally going for the classic 2020 shaved head. After 2 years of growing it's now at shoulder length.

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

20-25

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenPrincess View Post
    I had a pixie cut when i was 15 and grew that out to knee length over the next 14 years before slowly cutting it shorter and shorter until finally going for the classic 2020 shaved head. After 2 years of growing it's now at shoulder length.
    Wow! You've been on both extremes, super cool.

Length
    1/18/32

Just before my 25th birthday! I had a lot of short, edgy, colorful hairstyles in my teens and early twenties. It was fun! But by the time I was 25 I was well and truly sick of the cycle of dyeing and damaging and then cutting my hair. I started craving healthy, well-maintained, long hair in my natural color. And by the time I was in my mid-twenties, I finally had the impulse control to grow out a pixie without snapping and shaving it all off

Length
    30/36/41
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I was 18/19 yo ! I was in the university and a girl in my class has a beautiful mane at tailbone, since I try to have the same length with a good quality at the ends.
    One meter reached in June 2021. Cut it to waist and now I'm at 92 cm at the beginning of the butt.

I was 26, back then I thought my hair was long, now I see pictures and cringe at how short it was.
    Long hair has always drawn me (my husband's hair is longer as well) however the split ends always got me.
    Learning how to take care of it and not using boxed dye has made all the difference.

Length
    ?/Calf/TERM!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My mom cut my hair short like a boy in 5th grade. Never again. I did cut it once to a shoulder length bob when I was really stressed about nine years ago...but it's longer than it was then now.

When I feel like cutting my hair, I just do my bangs and some sides (like a hime cut)...and short hair wasn't so fun or easy as I thought it'd be.

Length
    Buzz/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

25. I tried growing out from a buzzcut back in college, but it wasn't until the pandemic hit and I had a reason to not go out for a haircut (and an excuse to avoid being seen during the awkward early stages) that I got down to business.
    Buzz CL SL APL MBL WL HL TBL – Classic
    Last trim: 2024-05-09 • Henna: 2023-05-26

Length
    20/52/60
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

I've always kept it long, even when I was younger, my aunt cut my hair.

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I think I was about ten. Until then, my hair had been kept in a tidy bob (I looked like a baby Miss Fisher) by my Mama, who let me grow my hair on the condition that I would learn to braid it myself! I was making pretty good headway (lower back? tailbone?) until I was fourteen, when my hair started falling out at an appalling rate, and at that point my hair was breaking off and being trimmed more quickly than it grew. Dark times, my friends, dark times indeed.

Several years of Hashimoto's and Lyme disease later, I've finally gotten healthy enough for my hair to start growing back. It'll probably never be as thick as it was in my early teens, but it's certainly better than what I had. It's now only a bit shorter than it was at its longest when I was younger, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll hit classic length at some point in the coming decade

Hmm, I'm not sure what would be the correct answer. I was 18 when I chopped all of my damaged, bleached ends off and "started fresh" with the goal of growing my hair to waist, however I didn't actually commit to learning anything about haircare until I was 23. Until then I was convinced my hair would never grow past BSL.