Page 1563 of 1740 FirstFirst ... 563106314631513155315611562156315641565157316131663 ... LastLast
Results 15,621 to 15,630 of 17398

Thread: The Flexi-8 / Lilla Rose Thread

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The Flexi-8 / Lilla Rose Thread

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and action pics, Eadwine. I'm not in need of more acrylics but it's good to know these are an option if the need arises and I'm strapped for cash.

Life's short...Buy the hair toy...

You're welcome sourgrl

Length
    18"/31"/60"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: The Flexi-8 Thread

Resurrecting this thread that I just found after coming back from a hiatus. I love this thread!
    Proudly renegray and growing on!!

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shaluwm_agape View Post
    Does anyone have the metal swerves? I'm curious as to the quality of them cuz I do want to buy one but I'm afraid they might be too flimsy especially that my hair is thick
    I do; they aren't flimsy but they are bendy, and they slip out of my hair fairly easily. I have slippery hair, though. My hair is ~3 inch circ so not thick. If bendy is an issue, I would suggest not getting them but I don't think flimsiness would be an issue.

By bendy, I mean they're compressible/flexible. Not to a great degree but some amount.
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shaluwm_agape View Post
    Does anyone have the metal swerves? I'm curious as to the quality of them cuz I do want to buy one but I'm afraid they might be too flimsy especially that my hair is thick
    I know Crystawni and Milady_DeWinter have tried them, both with iii hair. I can't remember their verdicts and I haven't seen them around for a little while so if you search the thread you might be able to find their posts about them
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by eadwine View Post
    The U pins are here!

My thoughts.. they have a nice curve to them, when I look at them with their tops on the bottom, the left tine is shorter on all three. Only one had a tiny snag ball (looks like an air bubble).
    They are NOT sturdy, but they will not break. Tines are flexible, you can easily push them together. Of course they're not thick, so.. once you put them in a bun, be mindful they don't get squished together because then you are looking at "will spit out of slippery hair in time".

They ARE pretty, yes. Will I buy them again at $9 a pop? No.

They're $20 for the three, which is $6.66 per pin, that is a lot better.

I got them for $14, so at $4.67 per pin. If they were sold at $5 or $6, yeah, I would say that is a fair price. Is that being picky? Maybe, but I have plenty of hair toys to compare with, AND I am Dutch

To add: my hair spits them out lol
    OOoooOOOOooO! These are quite nice and would probably be good for my wimpy hair. One question: are they lightweight? I often find acrylics heavy.
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Account closed by member request
    Length
    11CBL/33"HL/40CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Thanks ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by lunasea View Post
    OOoooOOOOooO! These are quite nice and would probably be good for my wimpy hair. One question: are they lightweight? I often find acrylics heavy.
    Very lightweight.

I have some Windsongs and they are heavier than these. Those DO stay in my hair, these do not.. have to push them back in every ten minutes or so hahaha. So if you have slippery hair.. do take note of that.

Interesting the company is doing those acrylic u pins now! Nice review of them, eadwine. MusicalSpoons, how are your new braided leathers working out? Oh and shaluwm_agape, I don't have a swerve but hopefully someone will chime in with one. They do look like they could be pretty bendy, idk.

I wanted to share a recent buy I made, of a flexi-8 like clip. It has no markings, so dunno what brand. The seller said it was from the 1980's.

Here's some pics, isn't it cute!? Pretty little butterfly. I laid it next to my xl flexi to show the comparison in size and style...

The differences I can see are:
    • the way the stick curves and attaches to the stick is opposite. Like in my XL flexi, the outside curve of the stick goes against my head, but with the tiny butterfly clip, the inside of the curve goes against your head.
    • also in the lilla rose clip it has a flat metal piece that slides back and forth in the stick opening, but the smaller unknown brand has a wheel that slides back and forth in the stick opening.
    • the newer clip has two notches in the end where it can hook, the older clip does not.

Other than that tho, they are very very similar.
    Much love to all my fellow long hair peoples!

~ ~

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Ooooh how interesting! I think someone ages ago posted that in the original patent application, the pin curve was opposite the way it is now! That wheel though - fascinating very cute butterfly; how does it compare to the modern-day centrepiece attachment?

My leathers probably haven't arrived yet, but we're away for a couple of weeks so I'll have to wait a little while to try them out anyway
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness