Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 4047

Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Length
    SL/KL/KL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    If it's still sealed up, I'd imagine it's ok. Ask me how I know I've used Virgin Snow for years to brighten up my silver hair and keep several jars around, and some of it is ... elderly, like moi. Good luck!
    That is nice you're able to not waste any of your dye jars! I'm sure mine will be fine then, I still have yet to open it and check. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    mbl - wl - hl - bcl - tbl - cl - ftl - mtl -kl

54"

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii

I posted my hair photos in my Introductions thread, if anyone is curious what this question referred to.

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

My question:

I've recently moved to the desert of southern New Mexico and the water is quite high in natural minerals. My hair feels 'sticky'? a lot and just doesn't seem happy with the same regimen I used to follow which is no cones and a good amount of oils with weekly or less washing. I have no idea where to start trouble-shooting! Does anyone have suggestions?
    Last edited by spurple; February 24th, 2021 at 08:32 AM.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spurple View Post
    I've recently moved to the desert of southern New Mexico and the water is quite high in natural minerals. My hair feels 'sticky'? a lot and just doesn't seem happy with the same regimen I used to follow which is no sulfates and a good amount of oils with weekly or less washing. I have no idea where to start trouble-shooting! Does anyone have suggestions?
    Definitely clarify (with sulfates) and chelate (with chelating ingredients such as EDTA).
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

My question:

I've recently moved to the desert of southern New Mexico and the water is quite high in natural minerals. My hair feels 'sticky'? a lot and just doesn't seem happy with the same regimen I used to follow which is no sulfates and a good amount of oils with weekly or less washing. I have no idea where to start trouble-shooting! Does anyone have suggestions?
    Clarify and chelate to remove buildup! You’ll probably have to do this regularly. Consider getting an in-shower water filter.
    I woke up like this (brushing the top of my calves somehow??)

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

My question:

Ylva and knobbly already gave the best advice for dealing with the current buildup of minerals- I would also consider using 'miracle water' as either a final rinse or even to do your whole hair wash with as a way to prevent the buildup in the first place. The thread below doesn't give the recipe on the first post but IIRC it's 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid or ascorbic acid per gallon of water, is it maybe 1/8 teaspoon of each? The original thread is lost to the archives.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=128756
    Formerly a Henna-Head, formerly FTL, formerly patient

Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Okay this probably is a dumb question, how does Lush henna bar compare to 'real' henna, color-deposit weise? I mean I know the Lush one contains real henna but I've also seen that people said it's not 'as good'. I'm recently considering bleaching over it, so I want to know if this in any way makes it easier to bleach out. Or this is a bad idea overall. (And yes I know that technically you can bleach over henna, it just takes extra work and extra damage, which I do not want to risk. I'm well informed and prepared for 'the normal range of damage' bleach would bring tho.)

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kimgeas View Post
    Okay this probably is a dumb question, how does Lush henna bar compare to 'real' henna, color-deposit weise? I mean I know the Lush one contains real henna but I've also seen that people said it's not 'as good'. I'm recently considering bleaching over it, so I want to know if this in any way makes it easier to bleach out. Or this is a bad idea overall. (And yes I know that technically you can bleach over henna, it just takes extra work and extra damage, which I do not want to risk. I'm well informed and prepared for 'the normal range of damage' bleach would bring tho.)
    I wouldn't recommend using ANY henna with the intention of bleaching over it. As I understand it, Lush henna is more prone to fading because the henna is diluted with things like cocoa butter. Just because it *can* fade doesn't mean it *will* fade or be easier to bleach.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by veryhairyfairy View Post
    Ylva and knobbly already gave the best advice for dealing with the current buildup of minerals- I would also consider using 'miracle water' as either a final rinse or even to do your whole hair wash with as a way to prevent the buildup in the first place. The thread below doesn't give the recipe on the first post but IIRC it's 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid or ascorbic acid per gallon of water, is it maybe 1/8 teaspoon of each? The original thread is lost to the archives.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=128756
    Thank you everyone for your help! I just did a BS paste with a diluted vinegar wash and my bouncy curls are back!

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Thank you everyone for your help! I just did a BS paste with a diluted vinegar wash and my bouncy curls are back!
    Eeek yikes, that’s really not good for your hair!
    I woke up like this (brushing the top of my calves somehow??)