Page 13 of 388 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna Thread, take two

Stalking Cat - your hair is very pretty and it will tone down a bit, promise. If it makes you feel any better, I had a mishap right before a job interview and had to go to it with GREEN hair, yes, green. I didn't have time to fix it so I bought a super cute hat to wear and it turned out great - got the job - told my co-workers the story later and still get teased about it over beers.
    Last edited by wintersun99; March 24th, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

Length
    short/SHL/~ 30
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

I henned for the first time last week. Currently I am really liking the results. It gives my black / really dark brown hair red undertones in the sun light.

It surprised me on the day after i henned you could see the red in my hair even in bad lighting. But that has toned down a bit, I'm slightly disappointed but i knew that would happen.

I think I'm going to henna again in like a month or so though.

Length
    17?/close/WAIST
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/i

Sakura, I know what you mean, someone told me as it built up it would be more visible on the darks- not true.. I LOVE the first few days post henna, but after that its just my whites that show as red, and the whole thing glows in sunlight amazingly..
    http://gliders.phoenix.org - our sugar glider info page

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

before it oxidises it is more a bright orangey colour. When i do my mothers white hairs it really doesn't look good, lol, but then after a few days it dulls down.
    If you want the henna to show up more on your length you probably shouldn't henna them over and over it will just get a darker red, even looking blueish in some lights (well that is what happens with my hair) I suggest you do your root and then do a really diluted henna gloss (light a tbsp to conditioner, enough to cover your hair?) And so it still conditions it but adds only the smallest amount of colour so it stays light?
    But it is your hair do what ever you want.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    31/Class/term

My hands are the color of carrots, tra la...

Why not? Says I. I'm only doing roots. It won't take that long, and the mix doesn't even have acid in it. It's so much easier to apply with bare hands...

This is a testament to how much more dye is in my Yemeni. I remember when I never wore gloves to apply henna. That was back when I used only lemon juice in my mix! Now there's no added acid OR terpene but a few minutes in the henna and my palms are an extraordinary color. Bet it'll oxidize even darker tomorrow!

Happy Little Knitter pookatrina's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I am really surprised at the naturalness of henna as far as the color. My hair naturally is very different in different light, when I dye I loose that. With the henna it still does that.

Length
    Pit/Pit/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Girltron View Post
    My hands are the color of carrots, tra la...

Why not? Says I. I'm only doing roots. It won't take that long, and the mix doesn't even have acid in it. It's so much easier to apply with bare hands...

I did that once
    And it is easier to apply with bare hands. I would do it like that from now on, if only it weren't for the month-long oompa-loompa look.

What kind of henna were you using before that didn't stain your hands?

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Hi!
    Been thinking about trying henna for a while but been too chicken, is there any possibility of it going wrong on dark hair, eg. going really red?? The permanance of it kinda scares me a little but been using semi-perm chemical dyes and I know I should stop. One more question - does the henna have to be body art quality? Only found one online supplier to UK that does it (henna boy) and it's quite pricey. However the site where I get my cassia from sells henna but not BAQ for a lot cheaper. Do I take the plunge??

Thanks for any advice x

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

p.s that was my first post, hurrah!x

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Choccielocks View Post
    Hi!
    Been thinking about trying henna for a while but been too chicken, is there any possibility of it going wrong on dark hair, eg. going really red?? The permanance of it kinda scares me a little but been using semi-perm chemical dyes and I know I should stop. One more question - does the henna have to be body art quality? Only found one online supplier to UK that does it (henna boy) and it's quite pricey. However the site where I get my cassia from sells henna but not BAQ for a lot cheaper. Do I take the plunge??

Thanks for any advice x
    First of all, Welcome to LHC!!

Onto your questions. Henna can appear to lighten darker hair, but people like Pookatrina, Jel, and I mix ours with cassia to deliberately do that. If you use just henna and it's too bright (even after it fully oxidized in 3 days), then just do a second henna application to deepen the color a bit. Note that if you find you do that, you will always have to do your roots twice. Another possibility is to mix a bit of indigo in, but many find this washes out and leaves the henna behind.

I would *always always always* error on the side of quality with henna. Consider it a safeguard against dying your hair green. Now, odds are good that the henna you're looking at might be legit, and might be good. The thing with the BAQ stuff is that it is VERY finely sifted and many of the "hair quality" hennas 1) don't have as much dye content 2) aren't as finely sifted, meaning they're hard to rinse out, and you have residue for a few washes at least 3) you have no guarantee what is in there unless you buy from a reputable seller. At that, many times henna doesn't fade at all, and if it does, it's only a bit after the first application. Many find that they can just do their roots afterwards, so you're only looking at that really expensive investment ONCE. I vote to do it right. To touch up my roots I literally only need 6TB of henna each time, and at that I often have leftovers to freeze.

If you really want to look into the lower-priced stuff I would try to get a sample of BAQ (no sure if Henna Boy offers them, but it can't hurt to ask), and compare them on two test samples of your hair. This page gives ways to test the henna to be sure it doesn't contain VERY damaging metallic salts (which is what makes people's hair turn green and/or dissolve if another chemical treatment is applied to it afterwards. I really recommend proceeding with caution on this, that whole ounce of prevention and pound of cure deal