Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Posts with bad grammar/lack of punctuation

Length
    n/a/37"/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm also one of those who have English as a second language. I know my grammar is not perfect, but I do my best.

I don't have problems with mixing up there/they're/their or you're/your, although I find it somewhat annoying if it occurs frequently in a post. But I still can understand those posts. I do know that I'm guilty of mixing up lose/loose, though. I know perfectly well which word is which, still I write the wrong one from time to time. I always reread my posts before I submit them, and hopefully I have corrected all these errors.

Spelling errors are a bit irritant, too, but as I don't know if they are only mistyped or if the person has difficulties with writing, I just continue reading. I think it is more annoying with lack of capitalization, especially when someone frequently types "i" instead of "I" when speaking about oneself.

Another thing I know I do, that perhaps might annoy someone, is mixing American and British English. This is because I was taught BE at school, and I prefer British spelling - I usually write "colour" instead of "color", just to mention one. But at the same time, I use the words "bangs" and "braid", instead of "fringe" and "plait". In these examples, I do it knowingly and on purpose, but I'm sure there are lots of times when I don't know there is a difference. After all, BE is what I was taught, but AE is what I hear most of all on TV, Internet and so on.

I also use ellipses and smilies, when I think it helps me express myself better or give a hint of how I'm thinking. But I try not to make my entire posts full of them...
    Last edited by Meli; May 18th, 2008 at 08:21 AM.

1c/2a/F/ii, current length 37"
    BCL (37") reached! Next minigoal: TBL (40"). Final goal: Terminal

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Ok y'all.....this poor thread. I'm sure it was intended for the members who consistantly post with little or no punctuation, no use of capitals, run-on sentences, no paragraphs, etc. Folks that use ellipses INSTEAD of periods in every sentence. Everyone makes grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes and such. No need to take this personally, the ones who are the bandits know who they are, they haven't posted here. Let's get on with life and have a great Sunday!
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    20/34/37
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by justgreen View Post
    Ok y'all.....this poor thread. I'm sure it was intended for the members who consistantly post with little or no punctuation, no use of capitals, run-on sentences, no paragraphs, etc. Folks that use ellipses INSTEAD of periods in every sentence. Everyone makes grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes and such. No need to take this personally, the ones who are the bandits know who they are, they haven't posted here. Let's get on with life and have a great Sunday!
    You said it, Justy!

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by justgreen View Post
    Yeah... basically. I'm sorry if it upset anyone O_o;;
    Pegs

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Marsters View Post
    Yeah... basically. I'm sorry if it upset anyone O_o;;
    You didn't upset anyone hon....hugs!
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

As apparently some non-native-English speakers are now taking this thread as discouragement to post freely, I'm afraid it is coming to an end!

I can guarantee that anyone who posted in this thread is not - absolutely not - the members who are causing difficulties! I can also almost guarantee that anyone who read this thread and became hesitant to post because of her/his writing abilites is not someone who is causing difficulties.

I apologize to those who have made valid points about the difficulties of reading certain posts. I know this thread could still have some useful input. However, "pet peeves" about writing is not the point. How easily one can read posts is.

So, we've drawn the line (albeit a curvy one )with: trying to use proper capitalization, trying not to use kewl speak, trying to use proper punctuation and spaces. That's about it.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Dvips; May 18th, 2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: clarify