Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Scalp-only washing!

Length
    BSL/Hip/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Scalp-only washing!

Quote Originally Posted by GoatLady View Post
    I agree. Especially in the winter time. It's soooo cold here and I have to go outside to tend farm animals, 3 times per day. I don't want to be doing that with a damp head. At least no more than a couple of times per month. Scalp washing is a game changer as far as winter hair washing.
    Oohh yes, I agree. Cold head in the winter is the worst. I cannot turn up the heating anymore because I can't afford these prices, so its cold a long time now.
    BSL - WL - Hip - Classic (dec25)
    Last trim: 31 jan 23 h Tailbone september 23 (unstretched decmbr)- low porosity hair

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I just tryed some hours ago and I love it, I don't know why I didn't try this before

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

It seems there are pros and cons to both my sink and shower methods. In the shower, I get a better shampoo application over my scalp due to the hair being lifted up, but the water stream is not the most effective for rinsing. Washing in the sink, the high-pressure water from the faucet never leaves any residue on my hair, but my scalp seems to act up faster afterward, I assume because spots are more easily missed with my hair hanging down behind me. Maybe I get a jug for rinsing out in the shower and let the shampoo sit a little longer when in the sink.

Also, I wish there was a way to detangle only the hair I got wet after I do a scalp-only wash because having to drag the knots down through the entire length almost feels the same as detangling after a full wash. Almost. It's just so tedious. For as much time as I save washing and drying only my scalp hair, I wish I saved as much on the detangling afterward. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Yesterday in the shower I tied a plastic bag over the beginning of my braid to protect it from getting splashed excessively. It just rested in the slack between my head and where it's clipped up on the shower rod. I don't have a handheld piece, so I have to bow my head in the water stream to wash my scalp and some pieces of my braid (which starts below APL) were getting wet. It was a lot better yesterday. Whatever works, right.

Length
    Short/Short/APL
    Type
    2b/F/i

My hair is very short currently and I'm a daily washer due to hormonal oiliness that makes hair loss worse. I CANNOT WAIT till my hair is long enough for this method! Seems like it will truly preserve the health/condition of the length. Like I could do this most days and only full wash 1-2 times a week. Cannot wait!!!

Length
    SL/FTL/knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
    It seems there are pros and cons to both my sink and shower methods. In the shower, I get a better shampoo application over my scalp due to the hair being lifted up, but the water stream is not the most effective for rinsing. Washing in the sink, the high-pressure water from the faucet never leaves any residue on my hair, but my scalp seems to act up faster afterward, I assume because spots are more easily missed with my hair hanging down behind me. Maybe I get a jug for rinsing out in the shower and let the shampoo sit a little longer when in the sink.

Also, I wish there was a way to detangle only the hair I got wet after I do a scalp-only wash because having to drag the knots down through the entire length almost feels the same as detangling after a full wash. Almost. It's just so tedious. For as much time as I save washing and drying only my scalp hair, I wish I saved as much on the detangling afterward. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.
    I smooth the wet scalp hair and put the rest up for work without combing it. For some reason most of the knots just fall apart when it's dry. Would something like that work for you?

SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ WL ~ HL~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ FTL ~ KL

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I was also thinking about dry detanling. Is that an option at all? I actually don't detangle when my hair is wet. Not even with hands. But I see you have a bit thicker hair than I do, Lapis. When I do a scalp only wash my scalp hair looks crazy, so messy, but I just leave it 'till it's dry. You won't get away from the detangling job afterwards though, but that way you could avoid getting your lenghts wet, at least.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pouncequick View Post
    I smooth the wet scalp hair and put the rest up for work without combing it. For some reason most of the knots just fall apart when it's dry. Would something like that work for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeppV View Post
    I was also thinking about dry detanling. Is that an option at all? I actually don't detangle when my hair is wet. Not even with hands. But I see you have a bit thicker hair than I do, Lapis. When I do a scalp only wash my scalp hair looks crazy, so messy, but I just leave it 'till it's dry. You won't get away from the detangling job afterwards though, but that way you could avoid getting your lenghts wet, at least.
    I'm the same actually! I tend to leave all detangling until my hair is dry, which naturally separates the knots a bit. I clip up the length to let it air dry for a few hours after washing, but it's wet down to about APL, so I need to leave that hair loose. The style itself can be problematic, as I need to be careful not to lean back on my hair or I just create even more knots! Even though it's easier dry, it's still a bit awkward working the tangles down through the unwashed length. It just feels different than if I had done the full thing, maybe because I have to deal with two different textures.

I don't think there's much more I can do and just have to accept the reality of caring for my hair, which is harder now that I have to wash my scalp more often for my SD and that I work full-time.

Thank you guys, though

(or maybe I need to figure out how to not get so much of my hair wet LOL... maybe down to APL is excessive, but it just kind of happens when trying to reach and clean every part of my fussy scalp)

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I can't believe that I was still washing my full length every week when my hair was as long as calf. Scalp washes (scalp-APL technically) have essentially become the only kind I do now. It's been many months since I've done the length and it still feels amazing. I love the convenience of that and can even look forward to washing my hair now.

My new technique is also working out really well. My SD has calmed down a lot lately, and I think the shower method has a lot to do with that. With my braid clipped up on the curtain rod, lifting at the scalp, I have MUCH easier access to my entire head than with the weight of my hair hanging behind me. Even when dry, it was clearly affecting the amount of shampoo coverage I could get and cue flare-ups. Not anymore. So I must be doing something right now.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I report successfull scalp wash
    I watched Haartraum's video about this method a dozen times and since I don't have a long braid I made myself this contraption

Routine went as follows:
    I braided my hair and wrapped it in a plastic bag, then I attached the fake braid to it with invisibobble. I put fake braid under my bra strap and secured it to my shirt with a claw clip. Then I went ahead and washed the scalp with shampoo.
    I didn't have any problems with cleansing whole head, then I wrapped it in my towel and took off the bag and yarn braid.
    Last 10 cm of my hair was completely dry.
    I'm so continuing to do it in the future. I wash every other day which means I would be washing whole lengths once in 4 days, every other wash will be scalp only wash.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights